Sharing Genetic Information

Private Userが2010年12月 17日金曜日に開始

参加者:

5 件表示
Private User
2010年12月17日 4:35 PM

I just sent my saliva away to be analyzed at 23andMe, and I am considering sharing all of the data I get back with the world. I can upload it to Archive.org and license it as Creative Commons: Attribution—Non-Commercial—Share-Alike.

I'm kind of in love with the idea of sharing my genetic information with the world. Heck, I might even find out some cool things about myself I wouldn't have known before.

I understand that there are some people that are very worried about people finding out about their genetic information, but I am not. The US government is slowly putting more safe-guards in place to prevent insurance companies from weaseling out of issuing claims. After that, I don't see any problem sharing a part of what makes me who I am.

When the results come in, I will make the final decision to share or not. If I do, I will link to the raw data directly in my About Me section on Geni so that relatives can see it.

What do you all think about posting your genetic data online? Why is everyone so worried about sharing?

2010年12月17日 4:47 PM

I have also just sent my 37 marker DNA test kit away to FTDNA and am expecting the results at the beginning of february. I cant see how publishing your direct paternal Y results could have any negative ramifications, however if the test includes predispositions to genetically inherited diseases that would best be kept private.

Private User
2010年12月17日 4:53 PM

Oh, it's not just my Y results. It's about 1,000,000 SNPs all over all 23 pairs of chromosomes with all sorts of health implications.

But why am I worried about sharing that? I already have one health condition and I publicly discuss that all the time under my real name. If we take the insurance angle out of the discussion, what is the worse that could happen (realistically)?

2010年12月17日 5:02 PM

Insurance companies refusing coverage is about the worst i can think of.
your information could be carried over to future generations and used against them. But if you refuse to share your results a close relative is who is not so inclined could share their similar results anyway.

2010年12月17日 6:04 PM

I am already on 23andme. I'm past worrying about what will happen to my genetic information. I'm more interested in possible family connections.

5 件表示

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion