What happened to Family Discussions?

Started by Lauri Kreen, Ͼ on Saturday, December 18, 2010

Participants:

Showing all 15 posts
12/18/2010 at 12:14 PM

In my Family Group there was formerly at least 3 pages of topics in Family Discussions, Now only 4 topics are remaining. What happened?
Persons who posted these lost ones, are still in my family group.

12/18/2010 at 12:29 PM

Or will there be now instead of them some User's Private Discussions (accessible only to starter's family group)?

[As translator I just translated some new phrases related to "new" Private Discussions.]

12/19/2010 at 5:07 AM

Also the amount of Family Group Photo Albums has decreased 3 times!

12/19/2010 at 8:12 AM

Is it possible that the originators of some of the discussions have reduced their family group size so that you are no longer in their family group?

Private User
12/19/2010 at 8:20 AM

It is just an old error that have popped up again, - I think this is the third time. You only see discussions have started yourself, and the "Show only discussions I'm following" option is not working again.

Private User
12/19/2010 at 8:29 AM

I also noticed that today and I'm only seeing my cousins and my started discussions

Private User
12/19/2010 at 9:58 AM

Is it possible that what has happened is that Family Discussions has shrunk to discussions started by your real family (up to 4th cousins) - rather than previously also including discussions started by people who were not your real family but you had added them to your family group?

Private User
12/19/2010 at 10:00 AM

Also on a different subject, View Nearby Merge Issues doesn't seem to be working

12/19/2010 at 1:01 PM

Yes Private User "View Nearby Merge Issues" of any family group member (like: http://www.geni.com/list/requested_merges?focus_id=6000000002764837879 ) will give now:
"We are experiencing technical difficulties"

NB! For non-members of your family group it gives "Error
You don't have permission to view this page" (this is OK as after last privacy change it is always so)

Private User
12/19/2010 at 1:49 PM

Yes Lauri.

1. It was the "We are experiencing technical difficulties" problem that I was referring to - when you SHOULD be able to see the nearby merge issues.

2. Back on topic re what has happened to Family Discussions, I think as I said that was happened is that it has shrunk to discussions started by your real family (up to 4th cousins) - rather than previously also including discussions started by people who were not your real family but you had added them to your family group.

The same appears to have happened to Family Awards - http://www.geni.com/statistics?tab=awards - they used to include those you had added to your family group who are not your real family, but not any more.

12/19/2010 at 6:33 PM

Actually I really do like how the Family discussions only include my real family now ..

no offense Brox. .lol

Private User
12/19/2010 at 8:21 PM

on the other hand I've finally found my long lost started discussion that I couldn't see before for some reason

Private User
12/19/2010 at 11:57 PM

I agree that family discussions should be for real family members only, if that is the reason for the change.

It is much more annoying that you cant see the name and having a link to the profile of people sending you a message, even if this is a person you have collaborated with for years.

Private User
12/23/2010 at 4:14 PM

Non-related family seem to have returned to family discussions, and to the Recently Online section on the Home Page, but not yet to Family Awards!

"View Nearby Merge Issues" was also fixed a couple of days ago

12/23/2010 at 5:49 PM

I'm very pleased about this David. A number of my distant cousins discuss ancestors who we are descended from and I have enjoyed reading and contributing to those discussions on occasion.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion