Cherokee Typewriter Utility

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Sunday, December 26, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
12/26/2010 at 10:51 AM

This typewriter will change Our Alphabet to Cherokee Letters. It uses simple Phonetics to change the leters to Cherokee syllabary that Was invented in 1821 by
Sequoyah (ᏍᏏᏉᏯ Ssiquoya , as he signed his name or ᏎᏉᏯ Se-quo-ya) as used in most cherokee writings.

http://www.languages-of-the-world.us/Cherokee/Typewriter.html

Plus there is a "fun" utility at http://www.languages-of-the-world.us/YourNameIn/Cherokee.html so you cab see how your name would look in cherokee

Private User
12/26/2010 at 11:04 AM

Wow! What got you interested in Cherokee, Marvin? I have Cherokee friends I am trying to get going on Geni ... and of course try and find the Cherokee princess in my own family. I have by marriage connections to Dragging Canoe's daughter, Abigail Eastridge, and by war connections to Dragging Canoe as well. :)

Anyway -- I'm going to let my friends now about the Typewriter utility, that would be very useful for them.

12/26/2010 at 11:35 AM

I have one ancestor that was Cherokee that I know of Yun (believed to be short for Ani Yun Wiya = "The people" in Cherokee (NC), and the Eastern tribe). She was my third great grandmother
Profile at
Mary Shine "Yun"

There are many people in the rolls that have last names same as some of my ancestors. Hope to connect one or two

I hope your Cheroke friends have a cherokee keyboard, could take forever trying to type in cherokee without it (can be downloaded from the Cherokee Nation, but I could never get it to work on Windows 7.

We need a Native Cherokee Speaker for the site. Do any of them qualify?

12/26/2010 at 11:37 AM

PS we also need the western tribe.

Private User
12/26/2010 at 11:40 AM

Yes, they all speak Tsagali. They are Eastern Band NC though - don't know so much about the Oklahoma tribe, just meet up at Stomps.

Private User
12/26/2010 at 11:45 AM

Cool ancestress Marv but we need to connect her to the Cherokee tree!

Private User
12/26/2010 at 11:51 AM

Your Name In Cherokee
Phonetic Romanization: Ewika
Unicode Encoding: ᎡᏫᎧ

Private User
2/4/2011 at 8:29 PM

This is cool, Marv --
Phonetic -- Mawiya Edimonidis-sedaika

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion