The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Recent Activity Filters

Started by Philip Weiss on Monday, December 27, 2010

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
12/27/2010 at 11:31 PM

Could someone please explain in a clear way what exactly the Recent Activity Filters do?

Now that I'm following people, my recent activity is flooded with all sorts of stuff I don't care about. In trying to use the filters, it seems like I can't seem to cut the activity displayed to what I want. For instance, I don't give a crud who is following projects, but it seems like the only way to turn that off is to turn off ALL project related activity. I want to know when a document is uploaded, a discussion is added/extended, or when a profile is added, etc. But it's not useful to me that the people I am following are following a new project, and that is one of the things flooding my recent activity.

It seems like there's some interaction between the options, but I can't figure out what it is.

The family tree filter doesn't seem to do anything.

Someone please explain these options!!

12/27/2010 at 11:31 PM

And yeah, I looked at the help topic for this. It hasn't been updated in over a year, and isn't clear to begin with either.

12/28/2010 at 11:25 AM

When I asked when a wiki page would be updated, since it had been over two year, I was told the following:

"Feel free to update that wiki whenever you would like. As for an ETA as to when we will have it updated by someone at Geni- there currently isn't one."

12/28/2010 at 11:47 AM

I didn't find a wiki page for this. I did find a FAQ that was woefully out of date. I can't write a wiki page for it because I don't know what these things do. Hence, the discussion post.

1/11/2011 at 11:13 PM

Hi all! Due to some requests (somebody wanted to hide some type of announcements) "I played games" with these filters and found out, that in current configuration the system is not good. Each filter group includes different news types.

What I recommend to do is to make similar system like in Facebook.
Near each news-feed announcement shall be button for choices, which shall have possibilities:
A) to hide all (exactly) similar announcements from all users {for example if I don't want to know how somebody is related to some celebrities}
B) to hide all (exactly) similar announcements from current user only {for example one of the users is uploading each day more than 10 photos - I don't want to "hear" about his such activities any more, but I want to be informed when the others are uploading photos}
C) to hide all (different) announcements from current user.

The filter choices table shall remain somewhere, for resetting (un-hiding) choices made via A) to C).

1/12/2011 at 11:45 AM

These filters have never really worked right. Are filters necessary, and if so, what would you like them to do?

We are certainly moving towards the direction of Lauri's comment. It would be great to be able to unfollow something directly from the activity feed to stop receiving updates about it.

Side note: In the next week or two, we are going to add a revisions tab to the home page that will show you all revisions on everything you follow.

1/17/2011 at 11:58 AM

I want to be able to turn off "life" events and leave "editing" events turned on.
I want to turn off notifications of what other users are following and what discussions they are contributing to, but leave what profiles and projects they have added/edited (and definitely still want to receive notifications of discussion threads I follow myself).

I'm really not sure what notifications I want for surnames, as it seems like few people are doing anything with the surname pages I follow. If I were a Smith, I might know what notifications I want and don't want there.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion