Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 7 posts
Maxwell
12/28/2010 at 1:29 AM

When adding data re deaths, the only option I see is for BURIAL etc.
Howcome no provisions for CREMATION?
Max Gordon
@ Maxwell Gordon II

Private User
5/19/2011 at 8:12 PM

Maxwell, I agree this is an important issue and becoming more so as more people are choosing cremation - with or without burial.

Private User
5/19/2011 at 10:48 PM

My dad was Cremated and I wondered the same thing, but never thought to bring it up. In the Burial form, I just typed in "Cremated."

Private User
5/20/2011 at 12:06 AM

Isn't the problem more like: What date/location should I use in the burial field?

The date of the farewell ceremony, the actual date of the cremation or the date you set down the urn or whatever final solution you have for his/hers ashes?

Just use the information you find most important for yourself as a memory in that field and if you want other information added to his/hers timeline you have the option to manually add and name other events.

You find a [Add a New Event] button on the (Timeline) tab of every profile.

Private User
5/20/2011 at 12:13 AM

Forgot to mention: If you use the predefined Burial field which add a burial event to the timeline you can click on that event in the timeline tab and rename "Burial of ..." to whatever you want, for example "Cremation of ..." by clicking on the edit ✎ link of the event in the upper right cornet.

Maxwell
5/20/2011 at 1:41 AM

Thamk you Bjorn.
Problem solved
Max

Private User
6/17/2011 at 8:57 AM

Bjørn, I understand your suggestion as work-around but it is a cumbersome approach to a fact of llfe (death) that is becoming more common - at least here in the U.S.

I suspect at some time cremation may be more common than straight burial. Possibly "burial" needs to be recategorized to something more universal.

I don't have a good alternative other than "Burial/Cremation". Possibly "Final Disposition" would work if a better category is not suggested.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion