The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

@ Eleanor Roosevelt --Breaking News: Long Dead Persons Have Been Joining Geni

Started by Private User on Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

• Eleanor Roosevelt
    Geni member
Showing all 4 posts
Private User
12/28/2010 at 7:58 AM

@Eleanor Roosevelt

I seriously doubt that Mrs. Roosevelt joined Geni on May 11, 2009 a full 47 1/2 years after her death November 7, 1962! If the "Eleanor Roosevelt" who added this profile is no longer active can a curator take it over? How many profiles do we have on Geni that have been added in this manner?

Private User
12/28/2010 at 8:08 AM

We have a "fake profile" project here:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Fake-or-Pretend-Profiles-on-geni-com

"Follow" the project, then it will appear on the list of projects you're a member of.

When you run across a fake like this, go to "more actions," "projects," drop down to "fake profiles," done.

The profile is then added to that Project. The Geni Help desk comes along several times weekly, checks the Project, and zaps them out.

This cleanup effort is going quite well but of course it's ongoing. Some people think it's funny I guess. :(

Private User
12/28/2010 at 8:18 AM

Thanks Erica, but the profile seems quite accurate from what I have seen. Perhaps rather than zapping it out it can be assigned to a legitimate manager and merged with other profiles for this historically important lady.

Private User
12/28/2010 at 8:21 AM

Yes, that's something the Help desk will help implement. We never want to lose good data but we don't want a "claimed" bogus manager to show, either.

Curators had a procedure to fix it ourselves but we ended up with a couple of bad zaps (of ourselves) so we're leaving it to the Help desk now. :)

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion