What is up with the DOT people? example "." is the father of xxx.

Started by Private User on Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
12/28/2010 at 8:41 AM

I know there are figures where there is no name to be found but I see some profiles with a confusing tiny little "." as the placemarker. Shouldn't the naming convention be "NO NAME" or "UNKNOWN" or something. Maybe it is in some GENI rulebook I have never read. What is the common conventional wisdom on this topic?

example

Private User
12/28/2010 at 8:42 AM

And sorry about using the xxx designation in my post...
I by no means am indicating anything other than "fill in the blank".

Private User
12/28/2010 at 9:04 AM

In mega merges you need placeholders or geni wanders you out to infinity with duplicate unknowns.

I tend to name them "Unknown Mother /Father of XYZ" with an approx date. That is working best.

Private User
12/28/2010 at 9:51 AM

I like your naming convention Erica as it resolves duplicate issues.

12/29/2010 at 3:57 AM

In this specific case... it's just the rather strange naming practices of the profile's manager. He does that often. It has nothing to do with "name-unknown".

12/29/2010 at 4:12 AM

Jonathan Paracy is filling up the big tree with garbage, he is intentionally trying to sabotage things. look in his recent activity. avoid merges with him at all costs.

Private User
6/9/2011 at 3:43 AM

Sir Lamorak, Knight of the Round Table

So, I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, since Geni hasn't taken away his privilege to use this website. Many of his profiles are in the Big Tree already...and LEGIT.

I decided to edit some of the strange profiles, since some had no full names or had "don't merge with [insert something weird]."

Well, I've never read the stories of the Knights of the Round Table before. So, I was thinking his profiles in the area (of the link above) were somewhat Biblical or Mythological. NO, they ARE NOT. They are characters from a book that is purely fictional based on possible lives of real people. And they are connected to Greek Gods and humans, according to "Jonathan Paracy."

If we are allowing fake people from a fictional book (not saying that Adam and Eve, the Giants and the Maori stories are "fake") then we might as well start accepting the "Fake or Pretend Profiles" like Clark Kent and Lois Lane, Spiderman, Scooby Doo, Pikachu, the Easter Bunny as cousins of "You."

*bothered*

Private User
6/10/2011 at 7:44 AM

Completely agree K♥

Private User
6/10/2011 at 8:29 AM

My problem is, that we are not supposed to be deleting other peoples' trees. But, when it directly makes "your" tree look ridiculous and not truthful to your descendants because it's a fictional story....*sigh*

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion