Search feature: "not connected to me"

Started by Hervé Panetto on Saturday, January 8, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 10 posts
1/8/2011 at 1:32 PM

Hi,

In the past, we had a great feature able to seach for people (by name, ...) not connected to my tree. This has disapeared.

Is there a plan to have it again?

Thanks

1/9/2011 at 4:26 AM

Shalom Hervé,
This feature predates the so-called "big-tree" on Geni. This tree presently has over 50 million profiles ( http://www.geni.com/worldfamilytree ), about half of the total profiles! With the very rapid growth of this tree that feature became rather useless. Because if you ARE in this tree then "everybody else" was half of Geni, and if you are not in the tree, as in your case, it means EVERYBODY else. So it no longer became useful as a filter.

1/9/2011 at 11:43 PM

Dear Shmuel,

I understand the concern with the "big-tree". However, as you said, evrybody is not in that tree. When I am searching for new family member with the same surname, I have to go through many pages where most of the profiles are from my tree. At least, I should be able to order these profiles using the column "administrator" in order to see all profiles "not administrated by me" and thus incuding the ones "not connected to me" together.
It always takes a lot of time to check which profile is new and potentially a new family member.

1/10/2011 at 4:11 AM

My point was that unless you have a very rare family name, that is mostly limited to your current tree (how likely is that?), then filtering on connected / not-connected will give you pretty much the same results.

1/10/2011 at 4:55 AM

Dear Shmuel,

My family name is maybe rare compared to some others. However, my family tree contains around (only?) 300 people. There are around 100 more that are not yet connected to me, on Geni. Lokking at other sources, I can find also 200-300 others, in Brazil, Argentina, Porto Rico, USA, Asia, ... maybe coming from the roots .. or not.

Private User
1/10/2011 at 5:29 AM

When I get frustrated with GENI's search function, (which I find is often - since the search ability for non-pro members has been so crippled) - I just search GENI via Google. If you specify in the Google search to not provide results where your own name appears, then at least it filters out the profiles you are the manager for.

Private User
1/10/2011 at 8:20 AM

Hervé, have you looked at the new Surname feature that lists all public profiles with a particular surname ( http://www.geni.com/surnames/panetto ). Lists 147 public Panetto profiles. From there, you might be able to look at managers or those trees for common roots.

1/13/2011 at 1:53 PM

@Wealthy Rickter. I will try your suggestions.
@Jeff Gentes. I already used that. It is not better than standard search. Indeed, you check the manager, I must look at all of them, one per one. My willingness was to have the list of all profiles for which I am not connected in my tree. Thanks

3/16/2011 at 10:59 PM

Maybe it is possible to add here http://www.geni.com/worldfamilytree also counter of (Claimed) Geni users?

Private User
8/12/2011 at 11:36 PM

plenty of search results on names under the heading "people connected to me" however when I click on their name and search for the path there is always no path found

so how are people connected to me if you cannot find the path????

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion