Moddy / Moddi surname

Started by Kim Arthur Sakariassen on Monday, January 10, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts
1/10/2011 at 11:24 AM

I see most of the people that have added this particular line has used the Y surname - and most of the ancestors and descendants with the same surname also uses the Y version...

I feel it clutters the information unecessary if we're to include all different spellings (historical sources aren't exactly simple to follow when it comes to spelling of names - i've seen four different spellings of the same name in four different official censuses) - so maybe there should be an agreement on how to standardize the name?

1/11/2011 at 5:57 PM

I`m agree with you Kim Arthur , but I understand that Moddy is the most used in Norway ? not sure, but awaiting a voting perheps??
What`your idea?

Private User
1/11/2011 at 11:45 PM

Surnames changes over time, so you should stick to the sources.

1/12/2011 at 12:03 AM

The reason for my question is that the profiles i saw and joined to had "moddy", then someone changed it to "moddy / moddi". I felt this was conflicting with the other profiles in relation, such as both the father and most of the children of this particular profile being named "moddy".

Also, there are conflicting sources, which is why there's a difference in the spelling. My question is then, how do we deal with this, when some people want "moddi", others want "moddy"...

Private User
1/12/2011 at 12:07 AM

Just make a decision on what to use in the surname field and make sure that other variants is added to the Nicknames / "Also known as" field since it is part of Geni search.

1/13/2011 at 1:07 AM

Our Norwegian name Moe was obscured and changed when they came to
America.
I chose the surname Moedde. My ancestral name was Moe.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion