The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Change of profile

Started by Private User on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
1/11/2011 at 5:45 AM

How do you change a profile to add the date of death?

Private User
1/11/2011 at 5:55 AM

This is for unclaimed profiles... In tree view, there should be an edit link on the profile. In the profile view, there should be an edit profile link on the right if you have rights to edit it. If you don't have rights to edit it, then you can offer the manager of that profile a collaboration, which will allow you to edit each others public profiles. If it's a private profile and you don't have the ability to edit it, then you would need to be added to the family group.

Private User
1/11/2011 at 6:03 AM

I go to the edit link and there is no place to enter the date of death.

1/11/2011 at 6:08 AM

There are normally radio buttons marked Living or Deceased. Once you mark someone deceased, the date of death and burial fields show up

Private User
1/16/2011 at 5:30 AM

Yes, when you enter a person there are radio button. My sister has been in my tree for some time and died last year. I see no way to update her profile with the date of death.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 6:36 AM

Here is where you should be able to change it, if you have permission:
Judy: http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000002933161196
Laura: http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000002933161277

The top setting should be "Status" and the radio button should be set to "Deceased". Once selected, the fields should be visible for "Date of Death", "Place of Death", "Cause of Death", "Date of Burial", and "Place of Burial".

Private User
1/16/2011 at 7:39 AM

Maybe I don't have permission.... there is no "Status" setting....

Private User
1/16/2011 at 7:48 AM

help@geni.com will be able to set her to deceased for you.

1/16/2011 at 3:20 PM

Jeff,
your answers are usually very helpful, but you should take the extra 30 seconds before posting them.

In this case Sue is likely referring to her sister Private User. Anyway BOTH of her sisters have "claimed" profiles, i.e. were actual Geni users. So the only way to edit these profiles is to send an email to help@geni.com to ask them to close her account.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 6:39 PM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn) / (שמואל אהרן קם (קאן, I think being able to edit a claimed profile is determined by the setting "Let my family edit my profile", which is chosen by the user. http://www.geni.com/account_settings/permissions/ So I wasn't sure, since I thought she should have gotten a permission error, before even getting to the "Status" selection.

Just trying to give her all possible options before sending her to Geni help, which can take some time (though they do usually respond quickly to deaths - since it's bad form to get birthday or anniversary notifications for someone that just passed away).

1/20/2011 at 2:40 PM

Since Geni implemented the "Close Account" feature, the only way to declare a claimed profile as "deceased" is to log in as them and close the account (deceased is one of the reasons given), or ask Geni Support to do it for you, if the login info is unknown.

Private User
1/20/2011 at 2:55 PM

Thank you so much! That's what I will do.....

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion