removing a connection that will "split the tree"

Started by Private User on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
1/12/2011 at 8:32 AM

I would like to remove someone connected to me (ex-wife) however it always says that this will split the tree.
From what I have read the only way to do this is to email Geni and ask them to do it. Is this correct?
I did this about a month ago but have not heard from them (I know they have priority sequencing...as well as "Pay for Pro to get faster service..BS)

Is this the right course of action and I what is the wait time...or...is there another way for me to remove her from my tree?

thx

Private User
1/12/2011 at 8:38 AM

You could either identify her as your ex (in the relationship tab), which maintains the tree but just indicates the break in the relationship. This would allow your children (if you have any) to maintain the single tree. The other option is as you stated, to split the tree. To do this, you go to the relationship tab, wait for it to load, then click the checkbox for the relationship and click remove. This will spit the tree in two.

Private User
1/12/2011 at 8:42 AM

I wanted to split the tree, however when i go to the relationships tab to remove, i get the error "warning:removing these conections will split the tree" and the remove button is greyed out. Hence I cannot split the tree even though i want to.

Private User
1/12/2011 at 10:55 AM

Go back and edit your entries, delete info. this worked for me. You will have a blank square linked to your kids.

Private User
1/12/2011 at 11:24 AM

ok, I see. I have no kids so that should not be an issue, however what do you mean to edit my entries and delete info? I can only access my own data to edit.

thanks for the help

1/12/2011 at 11:46 AM

Ronna,
what John meant was that you edit your ex's profile and remove the names.

John,
that's a pretty mean (and aggressive) thing to do, especially as his ex also has family on the tree. But in ANY case, as her profile is "claimed", i.e. she is/was a Geni user, he can NOT edit it.

Private User
1/12/2011 at 11:57 AM

Ok, thanks Shmuel-Aharon,

Essentially there is nothing I can do but contact Geni support and hope that they resolve this issue for me??

1/12/2011 at 1:50 PM

Probably.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion