How to change "Husband" to "Ex-husband"?

Started by Liisi Tullus on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 10 posts
1/12/2011 at 11:15 AM

Hi all

My husbands parents broke up and his mother´s now married to another guy. In the geni however his mother now has two husbands. I added his father and mother as I created the tree but now I must change the connection to ex husband. I don´t know how and I keep getting mails from the new husband that I should do it asap. Please, I need help fast. You can answer here but could you send me email at lena.b@hot.ee I´d be grateful
Thanks

Private User
1/12/2011 at 11:20 AM

Go to the relationship section (when you edit the profile), and there will be a pull down for the spouse relationship. Change it from wife to ex-wife.

1/12/2011 at 11:29 AM

thanks

But who´s profile page should I go? Mine? His fathers? Where do I find the relationship section?
When I klick at the fathers box - more -add immidiate family then I can see whom I can edit but at hes name I can only view the tree.

Private User
1/12/2011 at 11:42 AM

In the tree view, click edit on either the mother or the father (if you have permission to edit their profiles). At the top of the edit screen, you'll see a tab for "Relationships". Click that. Then find the pull down for the partner connection and change it to ex.

1/12/2011 at 2:06 PM

Jeff,
all of these profiles are claimed. So Liisi will have to explain to her mother how to do it.

1) Tell her to log in to Geni, and open her own profile, by clicking the link with her name at the top.
2) On the right side of the profile she will see a link that says "Edit Profile". Click that.
3) On the left side of the screen she will now see a list of tabs. Click the one that says "Relationships".
4) She should now see details about her Parents and her two partners.
5) Next to each partner's name, is a box where it says "Husband". If she clicks that, she can change it to "Ex-husband (divorced)".
6) Press the big Save button at the bottom of the page,

That's it.

1/12/2011 at 9:22 PM

There is a lesson here - once someone "claims" their profile I should request to collaborate so that in the event of an embarrassing situation, *I* can jump in and fix something fast.

What happens with elderly relatives who have Geni accounts? If I can't edit them and they pass away?

Private User
1/13/2011 at 4:42 AM

Collaboration will not help in this situation - it does not give access to private or claimed profiles, only public profiles. In the case of a death, you have to contact Geni help to have the account deactivated.

Private User
1/13/2011 at 4:55 AM

you could also try and ask them to change their settings now to be edited by family members.

wishing all Geni members good health and many more years of family research and tree building

:-)

1/13/2011 at 1:02 PM

Paul,
as Ofir says, the ONLY thing that will enable you to edit a claimed profile, is for the profile owner to manually enable it. They would do that by following this link: http://www.geni.com/account_settings/permissions and checking [at least] the second checkbox. Don't forget to press the "Save Changes" button on the bottom.

[
A side note: if you have pending merges in your trees, that are with claimed profiles, then also, unless the user has done the above, only THEY will be able to complete this merge.
BUT, experience shows that merging with a claimed profile, has side-effects that can upset the user. It changed things like the Added-By and related stuff. So just DON'T. What you do instead is merge all of the adjacent NON-claimed profiles, make sure all connections are moved to the claimed profile (from the duplicate), and then just delete the duplicate. If the duplicate is NOT actually managed by you, you should first send a message to the managers explaining. Deleting people's profiles totally freaks them out!
]

1/13/2011 at 1:49 PM

Liisi Tullus - Kas sa said oma küsimusele vastuse? Su mehe-ema ( http://www.geni.com/people/Helve-Kaljuvee/600000000956388591 ) on ju ise Geni kasutaja. Ta võiks siis ise oma isikukirje teisel lehel ( http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_relationships/600000000956388591 ) selle hr Tulluse oma endiseks meheks märkida.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion