Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

• Julie
    Geni member
Showing all 14 posts
Private User
1/14/2011 at 4:36 AM

Hi all,

I look in the list of discussion but don't see any discussion about the "search box" and the "Maiden Name".
In fact, my problem is that sometimes, I remember the Maiden name of a woman but not her married name. So when I want to look at her with the search box with the maiden name, she doesn't appear in the result list.
For exemple, for Julie, I'd like to search her with "Peronne" as her name as it is her maiden name... but I cant'.

Do you know how I can do it or is it not possible?

Thanks

Private User
1/14/2011 at 5:51 AM

It appears in that example that "Appoline" is not defined as her Maiden name, but a middle name (or perhaps a display name). It should read like this Julie Robert (Appoline) if the fields are properly filled out and the display name is not overwriting it. From my search tests, the maiden name does return in search results.

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:04 AM

No her Maiden name is not "Appoline" but "Peronne" is.
But when in the search box I began writing "Julie Appoline" in the result list I only see "Julie Appoline Robert"... I was hopping to see "Julie Appoline Robert (Peronne)".
Another example, I have 3 women who, after their mariage, as the same first name and last name (Marie Louise Robert). The first one with "Petit" as her maiden name; the second one with "Badoureau" and the third one "Fandeux".
When I wanted to had a new event for one of them, I have to open each one to find the good one.

Is there a solution for this?

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:09 AM

In Name Preferences > http://www.geni.com/account_settings/name_preferences
set your preference for maiden name display to maiden name appended, in parentheses

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:10 AM

Oh ya sorry.. still same point. Peronne is not listed in her name. It's not a search problem. Her profile does not have Peronne in it for the search to find. Peronne needs to be added to the maiden name field.

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:22 AM

But on her profile, I put "Peronne" as her Maiden Name... And it appears in parentheses... But not on the search box result....

Do I have to change the content of "Display Name" to see it in the result box?

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:26 AM

In Name Preferences check the "Ignore display name" and you should see it on search like that "Julie Appoline Robert (Peronne)", if all names are in right places.

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:29 AM

Doesn't change anything :\

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:37 AM

Even on the profile itself, with display name turned off, Peronne is not listed. So I don't believe she has it in the maiden name field, which prevents it from being searchable - can't find something that's not there.

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:41 AM

If only I could put you a screen shot... cause on her profile I really can see "Julie Appoline Robert (Peronne)"... and her maiden name is filled with "Peronne"....

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:44 AM

May be it needs Geni to index it again, so it takes a bit time?
I made a test if I change my prefeneses to "Do not display maiden names" I still see them.

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:51 AM

I did a search for Julie Peronne and she came up in the search results. It doesn't show her maiden name, but at least she was listed. :-)

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:52 AM

OK... let's wait till tomorrow to see if the parameter changes make the difference...
Thanks

Private User
1/14/2011 at 6:56 AM

Oh great ! I have just post my last comment and now I can see it working!!!
I finally found "Julie Appoline Robert (Peronne)" on the result list!!!
COOL!

Really thanks guys :)

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion