Where are the other Londons

Started by Michael London on Sunday, January 16, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 6 posts
1/16/2011 at 8:43 PM

@ I have tried to find the other members of the London family who have their origins in Riga, Latvia without success. Can anyone shed some light on this?

6/25/2011 at 8:56 AM

i dont now but i live in estonia and i know that my father have on latvia family members i may ask him but i tryed hard to find my family tree maby somebody can help me my granfather was roderich london and grandmother was armilde loentine london i find old foto wher is the grave slab and ther is names vidrik and amalie londonwho are they? i have lots of pictures many different names and i now only grandmother granfather and they son and one of them is my father please help me find my relatives :)

6/26/2011 at 1:40 AM

@ Mari-Liis London

Hello,

I read your letter with great interest. I hope that I may be able to help you and you can help me.

We are a Jewish family with origins in Riga/Libau Latvia.

What I was told by a distant relative in California, USA, is that the name of the family was originally LAMDEN. Now, being Jewish and the Jews were always regarded as foreigners by the Czarist officials, the name LAMDEN became LONDON in the Cyrllic script. It was left at that.

My parenal grandfather was Rabbi Jacob London and his wife was Ethel Kahn. I think that they had 8 children, 5 of the children eventually came to South Africa where I live.

The children were

Benjamin London - my father
Gershon London - my uncle who had two daughters, Ethel and Zelma
Solomon London - a son and daughter
Lena Berman - no children
Gita Klavansky - three children. One perished in the Holocaust

Some time ago I managed to find another London famnily who lived in Mexico. Their origin was from Poland

I also communicated with another London - Claudette M London - who died some years ago. She was no relation and she lived in Portland, Oregon, USA

THis is very interesting. I also found another London family on the internet whose website is protected - I think it is the London Family.org
They require a password to enter their website.

I do hope that you have more success than I have in finding your family

Please keep in touch.

Kind regards

Michael London
Lonehill
Johannesburg
South Africa

6/27/2011 at 12:00 PM

@ Michail London

I ask my father and he tell me that his grandfather was August London bat my gagrdmother parents was aleksander jacobson and ida jakobson my father dont wanna belive that london are judes because he dont like judes what a ironi an he think that maby ther are some other londons to i now that my granmother cosent goes to england but they arent londons but they go there becuase the 2world war are you sure that vidrik london is your famyly member and my father told me that thous who live in latvia was my grandmother family members who arent londons but never can be sure

6/28/2011 at 1:20 AM

@mari-Liis

Jacobson or Jakobson is a Jewish surnname/familiy name so it is possible that you have some Jewish blood. Remember that I told you how the family name was changed from Lamden to London by the Czarist officials because they regarded Jews as foreigners.

No I am not sure that Vidric London is a family member.

I await your reply.

Be well

Michael

5/13/2013 at 2:19 AM

Hi Michael!

Perhaps I can help you. Please, contact me at marinaplijewa@gmail.com

Marina

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion