The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

The Harry Potter tree

Started by Private User on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

• Albus Severus Potter
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Harry Potter
    Geni member
Showing all 8 posts
Private User
1/18/2011 at 5:50 PM

Where do you draw the line? Harry Potter is fictional. Yet some people claim to be related to them, or make up their own characters for various reasons (to keep track of their roleplaying characters and written fanfiction). People make up different families for various characters and through merging the tree becomes a big mess. Take @Albus Severus Potter for example.
And since people claim to be related to them, through merging the Harry Potter tree is part of the big tree.

As I see it, there's two levels of making it up - the canon, made up by Rowling, and the rest. Do you delete the rest because it isn't canon, or delete the whole tree because it all is fictional anyway? Or let it all be because it all is fictonal? Where do you draw the line?

New characters are constantly being added, do you merge them with the tree or do you let them be – if they stay unconnected they won't do any harm?

I really hope that managers whose profiles I've been merging have been contacted and let know what's happening (not pointing any fingers here) – maybe they didn't intend for this to happen the first place?

If we were to decide that we do keep the Potter tree, should we go the whole nine yards and add profile info, either copy from other websites or write our own, or link to the other websites? In which case, there's probably a need for a Harry Potter project.

Sorry for the mangled thoughts.

Private User
1/18/2011 at 5:51 PM

The link didn't work: Albus Severus Potter

Private User
1/19/2011 at 12:23 AM

As far as I know NO Harry Potter trees is connected (even if the status shows it), and as long as they stay unconnected they cause no harm. Let us spend out time to clean up problems on connected profiles instead.

I support Private User as he tells here:
http://www.geni.com/projects/discussions/Fake-or-Pretend-Profiles-o...

When it comes to Harry Potter as I mentioned it in another discussion:

---------------------
We have for a curator, Henn Sarv, who are working on merging together all Harry James Potter trees when he is tired of solving medieval conflicts.

We will probably keep this tree as a curiosity and link to it from the fake profiles project if we can ensure that it stays unconnected, as a starter adding a suffix telling that it is fictional since we have real Potter families out there we want to avoid hot-match merges to.

Someone else could take such an initiative on the Simpsons family (hint hint)
---------------------
Technically you can see this merge of the Harry Potter tree as a cleanup. I can guarantee that new Harry Potter tree's will pop up if we delete those who already is present, so having an official unconnected Harry Potter tree is probably a better idea, - but again - that merge is just for fun and unconnected "fake" trees is very low priority, at least from my side, and I guess it is low priority from other curators and Geni staff as well.

Private User
1/19/2011 at 1:06 AM

Please note that my statements above is NOT an opening for allowing fake trees/profiles. Such are breaking the Geni Terms you have a link to at the bottom of every page.

The fake profiles/trees WILL probably be removed sooner or later.

1/19/2011 at 3:23 AM

Henn isn't tired of solving medieval conflicts :)

Henn simply changing the are to work to prevent unwanted dreams at night

During last week I have connected about 200 Harry Potters and 100- still there isolated and not accessible. I will wait now week or two and then I will refresh. During 2 weeks there rise up about 20 new Harry Potters (average rising rate for HP is 10 profile per week - new measurement unit)

I promise :) I will never solve Simpsons :)

And I go now not to medieval but to ancient era.

I have several duties there :)

Henn

1/19/2011 at 3:52 AM

Next one Harry created 3 days ago:
Harry Potter

Henn

Private User
1/19/2011 at 11:09 PM

Thanks Bjørn, that makes sense.

It just really bugs me when Harry has a sister and that sister is married to Severus Snape. (I'm obviously a big Harry Potter enthusiast.)

Private User
1/19/2011 at 11:28 PM

Henn, - it sounds like you have someone who can help you ;-)

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion