New Tool for Reporting Fake Profiles

Started by Private User on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
Private User
1/19/2011 at 5:51 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to note these profiles here.

We just released a feature on the profile page to enable users the ability to report all fake profiles. To do so use the "More Actions" dropdown.

This will make it easier for us to locate those in question and streamline this process.

Once you have reported a profile, please remove that profile from this project.

Thanks again. :)

1/19/2011 at 9:24 PM

Thanks Ashiya. This is a welcome development and the way you've implemented it is exactly what I had hoped when I first started this project.

Private User
1/20/2011 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Randy and thanks again for starting this project.

Private User
1/20/2011 at 6:57 PM

Removing the profile from the project after reporting it may be easier asked than done. Most of the profiles have been added to this project as collaborators, and they are not so easy to remove. I think only the collaborator can remove themselves. Maybe a curator can? But others not.

1/21/2011 at 1:16 AM

On the "more actions" dropdown there is also an option to report "abandoned tree" ..

- When should this be used and what action wil Geni take on those profiles?

Private User
1/21/2011 at 8:01 PM

Private User instead of removing the profile from the project, let's focus on removing their name from the "About" section of the project itself. Sorry about the confusion.

Tore Fuglestad "abandoned tree" is used when tree starter has left the site and had one or more claimed users in that tree at the time they closed their account (who have also since closed their account).

If there are trees floating out there from a few years ago which are floating around unconnected and manager-less we will remove those. If they are already connected to the big tree, we will address those on a case-by-case basis.

1/22/2011 at 8:41 AM

OK thanks.
I have some areas where I would like to complete merges but am not allowed because managers fail to collaborate or even reply. In my opinion it makes no sense to be part of the big tree and refuse to collaborate..
But I guess the "abandoned tree" feature was not what I was looking for then.

6/6/2011 at 6:41 PM

I just tried to report a fake profile from the profile page, and I got a message that "this profile was already reported".

That seems rather generic...could Geni provide more info on that message...a date it was reported before, how many times it has been reported, what the status of research is, if it is NOT a fake profile and Geni is leaving it in place, etc?

Tagging Michael Stangel and Noah Tutak for a Geni prospective.

Private User
6/6/2011 at 7:04 PM

Anita - and anyone else interested - I raised some issues re reporting of profiles at http://help.geni.com/entries/507614-reporting-of-profiles on 26 March.

6/6/2011 at 7:16 PM

Thanks David...I will never understand Wiki's or Knowledge bases...by brain just doesn't seem to work that way!

6/7/2011 at 1:42 PM

Some of the things that Anita brings up are good ideas but would have to be developed. Currently we are behind on reported objects. We have been able to catch up on Abandoned tree reports and spam reports. The next two we are fake profiles and reported deceased. We should be able to catch up with them within the next 2 weeks.

6/7/2011 at 9:41 PM

If a profile has been reported already - maybe the "report" option should be removed and a message "reported as XXX on DD/MM/YY" will be displayed instead?

6/7/2011 at 11:49 PM

At least for Curators shall remain choices to report more than once.
(if after reporting somebody as spammer the activity still continues - curator can suspend this user (making impossible to post on another users' wall etc.)

6/8/2011 at 12:03 AM

Lauri - I didn't know curators have these abilities. You are right of course, curators should have this option.
Maybe Curators should be the ones that handle these reports in the first place(if they aren't there already)

9/11/2011 at 8:55 AM

How can we know which one is fake and not fake. Its a shame what started as a wonderful ancestry site ,has to be ruined by these people.!
We who are novice need help in identifying these people and how we can get rid of them!

9/11/2011 at 3:24 PM

Ruth M Walls Nederlk,
if you find a profile that is ACTIVE on Geni, but who's near relatives where born over 100 years ago (or more than 5-6 generations from the present), then they are most likely "fake". Fake in the sense that the person making use of this profile is not the actual person the profile is for.

Another type of fake profile, is for "people" known to be fictional, i.e. from a book or something.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion