• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:09 AM

Hoping to learn and exchange information and resources regarding the variants of the Coffin family armorial thangs!

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:11 AM

So, this is what i have so far in terms of description:

THE COFFIN COATS OF ARMS.

The Coffins have always claimed coat-armor in hereditary right. That branch descended from Nathaniel Coffin, father of Admiral Sir Isaac, inherit the right through the Admiral's grant, and are unquestionably entitled to wear his coat of arms, but this differs essentially in its emblazonment from the more ancient ones. Authorities upon English heraldry give, as belonging to the Coffins of Devonshire, a description which, in its combination, is unlike any other family bearings, and consists of bezants and cross-crosslets.

While they differ as to order of arrangement and combination, the number of bezants is never less than three nor more than four, and the cross-crosslets vary from five upward to a sem6e which is an indefinite convenient number. The bezants are a roundle representing the ancient gold coin of Byzantium, current in England from the tenth century to the time of Edward III., and was probably introduced into coat-armor by the crusaders. The white roundle exhibited upon Admiral Sir Isaac's arms is of silver, and is usually called a plate, although there were silver bezants used as coin. The cross-crosslets are crosses crossed on each arm. The crests and mottoes are of quite modern origin.

The six coats of arms in the name in "Burke's General Armory" are as follows:

i. Coffin, Magdalen Islands, Gulf of St. Lawrence, since of Titley Court, County Hereford, baronet. Azure, semge of crosses crosslet, or; two batons in saltire, encircled with laurel branches, gold, between three plates. Crest: Or, the stem of a ship; or, a pigeon, wings endorsed, argent, in the beak a sprig of laurel, vert. Motto: "Extant recte factis prcemia." These arms are limited in the grant to Sir Isaac Coffin and the descendants of his father, Nathaniel.

2. Coffin, Pine, Portlege, County Devon, temp. William I. The present representative of this most ancient family, as well as of the families Pine of East Downe and Pepysof Impington, is the Rev. John Pine-Coffin, of Portledge. Azure, semee of crosses crosslet, or; three bezants quartering the arms of Pine, Downe, Kelway, Ilcombe, Winslade, Birt, Hondesmore, Appleton, Gould, Penfound, and Pepys. Crests : First, a martlet, azure, charged on the breast with two bezants, a mullet for difference; second, a pine tree proper. Motto: "In tempestate floresco."

3. Coffin, Portland, County Dorset. Argent, a chevron between three mullets, pierced sable.

4. Coffin, Somersetshire. Gules, two bars embattled, or.

5. Coffin, Somersetshire. Argent, three bezants and five crosses crosslet, or.

6. Coffyn. Azure, four bezants within five crosses crosslet, Ar; crest, a bird, or, between two cinque-foils, or, stalked and leaved, vert.

I have images to support at least some of these versions. Too bad we cannot post images here :(

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:12 AM

The Tristram Coffin Medallion commissioned by Admiral Sir Isaac Coffin.

Sir Isaac's visit to Nantucket, 1826, when he founded his school there, was commemorated by a bronze medal he had struck off on the occasion, bearing an admirable effigy of Tristram in full length, and in the graceful garb of his period, on a base bearing the date 1642. The effigy is encircled with the inscription: "Tristram Coffin, the first of the race that settled in America ;" on the obverse four hands in fraternal grasp surrounded with the injunction: "Do honor to his name—be united." .

At the same time he had printed and widely distributed among the descendants of Tristram a handsome broadside, relating in brief the principal incidents of his life and of his origin as then known. The broadside presents the arms of Tristram, with the facsimile of his signature. Azure, four bezants within five crosses crosslet, or; crest, a bird, or, between two cinque-foils, argent, stalked and leaved, vert.

These are said to have been the arms of Sir William, who died in 1638, and whose monument still stands at Standon, in Essex, of which royal manor he was high steward. This is the sixth coat of arms of the Coffins described in the "General Armory," and may have been taken from "Weaver's Funeral Monuments," who gives the inscription, or from " The College of Arms." The arms of Sir Isaac, granted in 1804, when created a baronet, also on the broadside, have already been stated, being the first described in the ': General Armory" of the name, as given above.

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:23 AM

Sir Isaac Coffin, made a baronet and granted a coat-of-arms in 1804.

Admiral Sir Isaac Coffin, 1st Baronet

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:26 AM

Sir Jean Ricardus Chauvin Coat of Arms 1066 AD

Sir Richard Coffyn

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:28 AM

Sir James Coffyn - Coffyn Knights of Devon

Sir James Coffyn, Knight

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:30 AM

An embellishment and colorized version of the most contemporary version of the Coffin Coat of Arms.

http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000010182165828?photo_id=6000000...

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:31 AM

A rendition of the Pine-Coffin Coat of Arms. Most likely what is painted on the ceiling of the dining room at Portledge Manor

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:33 AM

Probably the most current version of the Coffin Coat of Arms. I am pretty certain this is what is featured on the cover of the book, The Coffin Saga, Will Gardner, 1962

Private User
2/1/2011 at 1:43 AM

I have yet to confirm which, if any, of these are actually sanctioned by the College of Arms, but intend to do so.

Below are links to historical documents with about a dozen variations of the Coffin COA throughout many centuries.

http://flickr.com/gp/polhemusandcoffin/Kou1W5

http://flickr.com/gp/polhemusandcoffin/051fu0

Private User
2/27/2011 at 7:54 AM

Tristram,
I have a photo of a Coffin Crest that is in a stained glass church window
in London(1800's), I could send it to you if you like.

(BTW Links to your Geni photos are not working for me)

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion