The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Unneeded Project Update and Discussion Update Prompts

Started by Joe Buttrill on Thursday, February 3, 2011

Participants:

• Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
2/3/2011 at 8:48 AM

When I add a comment to a Geni Help discussion, I get an indicator on my home page that a project that I'm following has been updated AND a discussion that I'm following has been updated.

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me which project was updated or which discussion. Therefore, I have to click on the Project prompt to find out it is the Geni Help project. Similarly, I have to click on the Discussion prompt to find out that it was my comment.

Since I added the comment, it seems unnecessary to tell me that this project and its discussions have been updated. Is there any way to prevent this?

Private User
3/24/2011 at 3:26 AM

"Is there any way to prevent this?"
Stop adding comments :D

Private User
3/24/2011 at 4:01 AM
3/24/2011 at 6:00 AM

Adding Feature Requests does not work--for me anyway. I've had a request in since February 10 (http://geni.zendesk.com/requests/211) on this issue.

Private User
3/24/2011 at 6:22 AM

When I try to access that feature request I get:

Request not found
You do not have access to request #211. It may have been solved or deleted.

I think you may have submitted it as a personal request private to you, viewable through http://geni.zendesk.com/requests

rather than as a publicly viewable feature request viewable through http://geni.zendesk.com/forums/337266-feature-requests

3/24/2011 at 8:06 AM

David,

I appreciate your efforts to help me with this problem.

I was unaware that there are TWO Geni helps. I submit a help request simply by going to http://geni.zendesk.com/home and clicking the Submit a Request button. I do not understand why you should be denied access to any of my requests. I was unaware that Geni has public and private help, but for a site that bills itself as collaborative, the concept of private help seems absurd.

I have copied and pasted the request and its history here for your information. Amanda has been assigned to this request, and it is still open.

Request #211 How do you submit a Feature Request here?
Joe Buttrill
Feb-10 08:49

I've gone to the "Knowledge Base," clicked on "Feature Requests" and then clicked on "Suggest an Idea." I've completed the section "What's your idea?" and the section "Tell us more details about your idea." However, when I click the "Add" button, Geni blanks out the details of my idea and issues an error message stating: "Topic could not be created as: Text can't be blank."

Are there restrictions on who is allowed to request a new feature?

CommentsAmanda

AdminDear Joe,

Thanks for your email. Would you please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue?

Feb-25 2011 17:26 Joe ButtrillAs of this morning, this problem seems to be fixed. Thank you.

Feb-28 2011 05:42 Joe ButtrillThis problem has re-surfaced, again. I tried to submit a "Feature Request" this morning and was rejected after Geni deleted the details of my idea.

Mar-02 2011 05:46 Joe ButtrillThis feature is still not working. I tried again this morning without success.

Mar-05 2011 06:35 Joe ButtrillThis feature is still not working. I tried again this morning without success.

Mar-09 2011 06:38 Joe ButtrillThis feature is still not working. I tried again this morning without success.

Mar-17 2011 05:56 Joe ButtrillThis feature is still not working. I tried again this morning without success.

Private User
3/24/2011 at 4:59 PM

Joe

There are now various categories of help, including private help, feature requests, bug reports, and separate section for Geni API feature requests separate from other feature requests - that I do NOT understand!

I disagree that "the concept of private help seems absurd" - you may want private help on private personal profiles.

Would you like me to submit the feature request on Unneeded Project Update and Discussion Update Prompts for you - if you can't?

I would do it on your behalf and reference this discussion.

3/25/2011 at 5:22 AM

David, I would very much appreciate it if you would submit this as a feature request. No need to reference this discussion, as most of it is off topic and may only confuse people. You may simply copy my original post and submit it--with whatever modifications you deem appropriate--under your name.

My interest is not in who submits the request but in improving Geni.

Thanks.

Private User
3/26/2011 at 3:03 AM

Joe. I submitted as below. I reworded as I saw fit. I acknowledged your intellectual capital in the idea. I did not refer to this discussion, because I agree with you that this would confuse.

http://help.geni.com/entries/507214-remove-unneeded-project-update-...

Note: this feature request was originally conceived by Joe Buttrill.

I am submitting it here at Joe's request, as he has some problems with submitting fature requests.

------------------------------

When a user adds a comment to a Geni project discussion, they get two indicators on their home page:

1. A project that they are following has been updated; and

2. A discussion that they are following has been updated.

These indicators do not tell the Geni user which project was updated or which discussion was updated. Therefore, the user must click on the Project prompt to find out which project it is in - it's the one where they added the comment, and similarly must click on the Discussion prompt to find out that it was their comment there too.

Since the user added the comment, it seems unnecessary to tell the user that the project and discussion have been updated. And it is frustrating for the user to be led back to where they themselves posted. It is suggested that it would be useful to add a feature to Geni to prevent these unnecessary and frustrating notifications.

3/26/2011 at 6:02 AM

Thank you. Very nicely done.

Private User
3/26/2011 at 4:02 PM

Joe you are welcome. You must have been able to add feature requests in the past.

Your request http://help.geni.com/entries/427332-support-for-adoptive-parents has more "likes" [including one from me] than any other feature request on Geni.

3/27/2011 at 6:03 AM

David, that was a request that I entered when the new help center began in early February. Noah converted it to a Feature Request for me.

There was a brief period at the end of February when I was able to submit another Feature Request, but several attempts in March all failed. I quit trying after March 17.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion