Is there a line broken somewhere?

Started by Karl Halvor Wollan on Sunday, February 20, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
2/20/2011 at 5:11 PM

The other day i found this celeb which I'm supposedly descending from.
"Charles III de France is your 28th great grandfather".

Today the relationship has changed
"Charles III de France is your 25th great grandfather's wife's husband's grandfather"

Not quite the same.

Another thing, when I entered geni.com the statistics on my profile frontpage read
Blood Relatives 5,000
Ancestors 5,000

When I got my "pro" membership those numbers suddenly went to 100,000.
Today I'm back at 5,000 and I'm still a "pro".

What gives?

2/21/2011 at 3:49 AM

Hello
As a curator I hope I can de mistify some of these points for you.
We curators are working on the 'historic' tree constantly (because we are from all sides of the world we pretty much are working round the clock).
In the past before Geni fine-tuned how it was going to work, it went through a time when all were allowed to upload gedcoms and we ended up with hundreds of duplicates, especially of historic profiles like Charles III. As we merge the duplicates and tidy up the messy areas relationships will tighten as you have seen.

The statistics have a cut off point of 5000 for some reason so for 5000 read 5000+

I hope you enjoy Geni.
Terry

2/21/2011 at 2:22 PM

Yes yes, I see your point and I am aware that the relation I see TODAY to a person might not necessarily be true tomorrow. I have noticed relations to specific persons change as people work in the tree.

But my issue here is the numbers
"-The statistics have a cut off point of 5000 for some reason so for 5000 read 5000+"
So i've noticed. But that changed to 100000 the day I bought my "pro" membership.
Same thing changed in my son's profile. 100000 the day he went "pro".
Leading me to the assumtion -it's a "pro" thing.

Some comparisons...

Another fellow who went through the 5000 barrier when donating money to geni:
My "pro" friend Per
Blood Relatives 15,076
Ancestors 82
(Small family)

My American 16th cousin Dez, also "pro".
Blood Relatives 100,000
Ancestors 100,000

-it's a "pro" thing.

The funny thing here is todays numbers on my son's profile.
Blood Relatives 100,000
Ancestors 91,806 (?)

Mine's still 5000. Why?

Oh and YES, I am enjoying the friendly geni community.

2/21/2011 at 9:50 PM

Greetings,

I work for Geni and can explain the 5,000 / 100,000 discrepancy. We have an automated process that's supposed to recalculate Pro stats weekly, however due to some operational problems it occasionally happens that the stats do not get recalculated, resulting in the stats being recalculated with the non-pro limit the next time you log on. We're working on stabilizing the process, but in the meantime I've set your account to recalculate with the Pro limits. If any other pro's are havin this problem feel free to send me a message and I'll set yours to recalculate as well.

2/22/2011 at 2:39 PM

Thanks Mike.
That was most enlightening.
I was really quite confused until you explained it so well.

There IS a broken line way up in the tree, I know that now.
Someone's been using a hatchet on tree branches.
And that will of course affect the number of ancestors I have.
But not THAT much! it really made no sense.

So it turns out that in addition to ancestors being removed there was an automated process failure at geni. Which really is ok as long as I know.
Thank you for taking the time and I hope others will benefit from this information too.

Cheers.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion