The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Who are curator of Ukraine or Russia or former-USSR at Geni?

Started by Юрий Чернявский on Friday, February 25, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 14 posts
2/25/2011 at 11:41 AM

see tilte

2/25/2011 at 12:24 PM

There are no Curators for every Country/Nationality.

BTW look here, maybe these persons can help you:
Peter Trefilov
Henn Sarv
http://www.geni.com/people/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%8F%D0%BD-%D0...

Private User
2/25/2011 at 12:24 PM

We have several curators who read and write Russian, but the only Russian curator is Peter Trefilov from St.-Petersburg.

Private User
2/25/2011 at 12:31 PM

Lauri, there is a big difference between Bulgarian and Russian, but Калоян Иванов is our curator which cover most languages (9), and you forgot the most active curator in the area: Ric Dickinson

2/25/2011 at 12:40 PM

Private User - I know these differences...
Question was about Ukraine too. Bulgarians can handle Ukrainians problems too (until there are no Curators for Ukraine)

2/25/2011 at 12:48 PM

Interesting that Калоян Иванов's name written on Russian Language. Maybe he is Russian that living in Bulgaria, currently?

2/25/2011 at 12:51 PM

Lauri Kreen, Ͼ, It is better to handle Ukrainians problems by Russian curator not Bulgarian. Many reasons.

Private User
2/25/2011 at 12:51 PM

I have had a dialog with Юрий Чернявский about Ukrainian curators and my conclusion so far is that the most important is that we have curators understanding Russian (RuNet).

Being the curator who work most with getting a better curator coverage please send me some information about potential candidates we should take a look on.

My simple questions on coverage is:
1) Is there a need for it, and what are the challenges?
2) Who would you recommend?

Read more about Curators: http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Curators

2/25/2011 at 7:08 PM

[6000000003940717842] Rather strange assumption about the Bulgarian writing his name with Russian letters. Let's try to be correct about the historical facts.
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Кириллица

2/25/2011 at 9:25 PM

I say Russian when I mean Cyrillic. Looking at the name how can you tell Russian Cyrillic from Bulgarian Cyrillic? I didn't even know there was a dif until I put google translate to work. I also say Latin alphabet when it should really be American Alphabet. (Say English alphabet and I think of the old alphabet with 23 letters and 7 more like the Thorn, we all jump to assumtions, and use terms that we know little about)

2/26/2011 at 2:15 AM

I speak Russian, so I can say not only is it Cyrillic or not, but also, is it Russian or other language based on grammar. Калоян Иванов's close family has completely Russian names and surnames.

Of course, it still an assumption, as maybe in same case Bulgarian grammar can be similar with Russian, but any way, it is big probability that he is Russian speaker.

2/26/2011 at 9:42 AM

I don't think Kaloyan is a first name I've run across too often in either Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Republic of Georgia, Russia, Belarus, or Lithuania. I would have guessed that to be Bulgarian (though I never ran across a Kaloyan there either).

My understanding on Bulgarian is that it doesn't have any cases - everything is in subjective case. Again, only looked briefly at a Bulgarian grammar book, and never really done any length study there. And it's been a few years since I've been there (or anywhere) with a Bulgarian language textbook.

The Cyrillic users tend to generalize "Western alphabets" as "Latin", much the same way Westerners generalize all "Cyrillic" alphabets (even though there are differences between Russian and Ukrainian, Belarusian, etc.). I'm afraid I've already forgot the distinct letters that are indicators of Bulgarian. Ukrainian incorporates the Latin letter "i" and a few others in its alphabet.

2/26/2011 at 10:00 AM

Kaloyan has Bulgarian first name and Russian surname. His close relatives has Russian first names and surnames. The transliteration of all names are completely completable with Russian grammar, no any incorporations of Latin letter, etc. If you'll wright it on Ukrainian or Belorussian, it will be little bit different, that's why I assumed that in Bulgarian it also should be different.

2/27/2011 at 3:45 PM

If you would just have some extra milliseconds of spare time, and spend it to google the name Kaloyan, this will pop out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaloyan_of_Bulgaria
So essentially the name Калоян Иванов Иванов should read in fully anglified version as "Good John John's son Johnsson". Kudos to his witty parents for such a great combination.
But how to separate an Иванов from Bulgaria from the Иванов from Russia just by the surname, beats me. There is no difference in transcription what so ever.
Only the first name can give you a clue. Like Калоян...
Or if you can notice the difference in names Георги Иванов (the first Bulgarian cosmonaut), and Георгий Иванов (the great Russian emigree poet from France).

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion