Geni free version and profiles I have added to the big tree

Started by Private User on Friday, February 25, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
2/25/2011 at 4:48 PM

I am seriously considering leaving Geni. Since I gave up using Geni Pro, I can no longer view relationships between myself, as well as between other people who I have myself, added to the tree. This seems to me to be most unfair. I'd be very interested in hearing what the Geni Admin & other uses think of this state of affairs? There must be a lot of people in the same boat as me? Lynne.

2/25/2011 at 5:51 PM

Unfortunately it seems that this is a Pro feature.
See https://www.geni.com/pro/home
You may also be interested in this which appeared in the forum when it existed:
http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=66511#post-603881

I think there was discussion about this in the forum as well but I couldn't find it ifor you. Although I am Pro I remember thinking this was a low blow.

You could try suggesting in the helpdesk area that it be made non-pro I'm sure you'd get people to support it.

Private User
2/25/2011 at 6:46 PM

Thank you, Terry. I shall try. :))

Private User
2/25/2011 at 7:07 PM

Lynn I would hate to see you leave. You have helped build this tree .

2/25/2011 at 7:16 PM

As long as the Pro-feature set is not expanded upon, current state of affairs is likely to prevail. Shifting the possibility to calculate relationship paths to non-Pro would make me downgrade in a heartbeat since the remaining features just do not reach the same amount of added value on my Geni scale of well-being. I'm guessing that I'm not alone in this opinion.

Personally I think this would be a solid way to go:

• Simple Relationship Paths: available to every member, the current Pro feature steps down.
• Bloodline Relationship Paths: exclusive to Pro members, a new Pro feature is born.
• Extensive Relationship Paths: exclusive to Premium members, a whole new level of goodness.

By 'Extensive Relationship Paths', I mean automatically and fully calculated simple or bloodline paths between whatever two connected nodes—no more of the "No path found to X"—if there clearly is a connection; just show me the money already! Current Pro members can still not automatically calculate a path to every node they are connected to, deep manual digging is often required. A shame really, since this actually renders the Pro account into a limping state.

So, a possibility to calculate bloodlines would perhaps make a couple of non-Pro members consider an upgrade—and those wanting "the full experience" might even consider a slightly adjusted pricing point, up to some form of 'Premium'.

However, the bloodline algorithm and infrastructure requirements have seemingly had the Geni guys beat for a couple of years now. Look! - a Challenge! :)

All the best to everyone!

2/26/2011 at 4:39 AM

The "best" known algorithm for finding the path between two nodes in any graph is Dijkstra's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra%27s_algorithm.

It runs in O(E + V log V) time, where E is number of edges and V is number of nodes. On a 50-million-node tree, the number inside the O() is around 900 million; that means a "guaranteed success" algorithm might have to perform 900 million operations (of what cost I don't know).

The algorithm Geni's currently running is clearly a LOT faster, and probably takes advantage of the shape of the tree, but doesn't always succeed.

I don't think we can expect a guaranteed-to-succeed path search at a reasonable cost any time soon.

Private User
2/26/2011 at 5:07 AM

Thanks, guys. I have complained to Geni. I wouldn't mind if I couldn't see relationship paths on profiles I'm not managing, and more importantly those I have added.....the latter really gets my goat. I think that it's very unfair that we can't all freely view the paths for profiles we have added ourselves....I feel as though I'm being ripped off here. In fact, I KNOW that I'm being ripped off!!

Myrna, hopefully Geni will do something about this in the very near future, and then I shall stay for sure. :)

Private User
2/26/2011 at 5:09 AM

Oh, and the reason I haven't been doing much on Geni lately, is that the good folk in Ayrshire are working with me to try to pin down some of my elusive ancestors.......I don't want to add any more people to the tree until I have these records. :)

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion