Collaboration and "Locked" Profiles

Started by Private User on Monday, February 28, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
2/28/2011 at 3:25 PM

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how do you start collaboration and what does it mean..I do not see any help items to direct me. Additionally, I am running into a lot of profiles that are "locked" that I am not able to request a merge or anything.how do I solve this problem of locked profiles?

2/28/2011 at 3:35 PM

You start collaboration WITH someone that you want to work with. From their profile you will see, in to the right of their name a link that says "Request To Collaborate". You'll have the option to explain WHY you're requesting this. It is HIGHLY recommended that you do so, as people are more likely to agree, if you do.

As to locked profiles, you'll see a line that says "Curated By" with the name of the relevant Curator. You can send them a message directly, or start a public discussion about the profile.

Private User
2/28/2011 at 3:40 PM

Shmuel...Shalom and thanks...will work this!

2/28/2011 at 5:35 PM

James, I curate some locked profiles and am happy to take requests to add data or do merges, as long as the data/merge is correct. You can always request and most people will be happy to work with you.

I won't speak for others, but when I lock profiles, it's because I've gotten them to a very good state, with correct children and parents or nearly there, and they are profiles that people tend to either merge erroneously (multiple generations with the same names) or are constantly changing data to not comply with Geni naming standards. I'm counting on collaborators to improve the profiles and it's great when people come with new information.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion