Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • D. Brin
    Geni member
Showing all 4 posts
Private User
3/12/2011 at 3:31 PM

Some years ago I was at a company conference in Houston, Being from Australia I thanked my hosts for naming a major road in the Houston CBD in anticipation of my arrival from Autralia for that meeting.
My conference Host's Secretary kindly found out for me that this was a track from the River ( which I presume to be the Miossissipi)
to the original farm? ranch? squat? settled by the Westheimer family some time in the 19th Centuryt. Can any body tell me more about this and also I assume that ther eis some family connection

Robert Westheimer , Melboiurne Australia

D. Brin
5/27/2011 at 9:53 PM

This road was named after M.L. Westheimer, born in Germany, my great-great-great uncle. He operated a farm on or at the end of that road, around the site of the current Lamar High School, in the mid-1800s. I believe he knew several languages and opened a school on his property, possibly for his children and those of the people who worked on the farm. He brought over several nephews from Germany to work for him or help get them started in business, including my great-grandfather.

Private User
5/28/2011 at 12:41 AM

Thanks for that information. My family came to Australia from Germany- my great grandfather was Phillip Westheimer from Schluchtern ( ? spelling) and my grandfather/father from Mannheim- they came to Australia in 1937/9.
What part of Germany did your family come from - would be interrestd. There are more of my fathers family in SFX and Fa /NY
Many thanks for that bit of info

D. Brin
5/28/2011 at 11:14 AM

Here is an article with more info on M.L. Westheimer. I will have to look up my old geneaology records to see exactly where my Westheimers came from. My great-great grandfather, Joseph Westheimer, and great-great-grandmother lived in Kleineicholzheim, which I believe is in Bavaria. However, I think it was the wife's family that came from that town, and the Westheimers were from another -- I think it was Billigheim.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwets

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion