Scott Prisoners

Started by Private User on Saturday, March 12, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts
Private User
3/12/2011 at 4:03 PM

Is anyone interested in following the path of the Scot Prisoners after the Battle of Dunbar to the colonies in America. I am sure many people here are direct descendants of these men.

Private User
3/12/2011 at 11:49 PM

I suggest you start a project on this.

Private User
3/13/2011 at 6:40 PM

I though that's what I was doing. What do I have to do to start it.?

Private User
3/14/2011 at 12:37 AM

Go the project page http://www.geni.com/projects and click on "Start a New Project" http://www.geni.com/projects/new

Just make sure that you get tee project name correct because you cannot rename it later on.

Private User
3/14/2011 at 5:42 PM

Okay ,I started it. Lets see what happens. Check it out and tell me if I started it correctly. You know more about these things than I do.

Private User
3/15/2011 at 12:38 AM

It might be an idea to post a link to the project: http://www.geni.com/projects/Scots-Prisoners-and-their-relocation-t...

Looks fine, - you should probably link to some sources and more information in the project description.

Now you can start adding profiles to the project and probably invite the managers to join the project.

Private User
3/15/2011 at 2:21 AM

I will. I just wasn't sure if the way I presented it was up to Geni standards. I am doing it from an everyday kind of person's perspective!

Private User
3/16/2011 at 11:54 AM

Ok Bjorn I have two followers on the project. Does that mean I need to ask them to collaborate and if so does that mean they just collaborate on the project or on everything? or can they just add comments if they wish, which of course is fine with me.

Private User
3/16/2011 at 12:04 PM

Followers are just followers, - if they were project collaborators they would have access to project profiles even without collaborating,- but you have to start adding profiles to the project,- and to be able to do that you have to either collaborate with the managers or being a manager yourself.

You find options to add profiles and users to the project under their "More Actions▼" menu.

Private User
3/16/2011 at 4:13 PM

Now all I have to do is finish writing the complete list from the 2nd ship. 300 men will take me awhile. Have two profile that I have amasted of Peter Grant and brother ajmes Grant Once the Iron Works opens up again to the public I can go down there and gleem more info from Curtis, a ranger down there. They close for the winter and re open the end of march. He's at this time over in Salem at the House of Seven gables. Could ride over there to talk to him. He's a great guy. has spoken at our Hist. Soc. a few times. Now how do I post documents and pictures to this project. Have plenty of history and modern pictures of the Iron Works . use to live within walking distance of it plus back in 1600's and 1700's several members of my family owned it both while it was still a working Iron Works plus privately owned. use to think my Grant was connected with James and Peter. That's how I got interested in the prisoners but now I am not sure if there's any relationship but I am still interested.

Private User
3/16/2011 at 9:29 PM

Added some more names to list of prisoners on The John and Sara. About half way through . The m's are mext. There's at lest 40 names that begin with m. This is going to take awhile

Private User
3/17/2011 at 7:54 AM

When I said adding profiles I meant Geni profiles in the tree. No reason to add the name to the project description unless you can show people their profile in the tree.

3/17/2011 at 11:08 AM

Bjørn,
she probably should add the lists, and THEN link to the profiles. Obviously she isn't going to find them all at first.

Private User
3/17/2011 at 4:10 PM

Well, at first I though now how am I going to do that if I am not related and then I remembered , well , in away I am, since Peter and James Grant's lines are in law to my lines. So I can do that. Some of them with a little work on my part , maybe a lot of work I could locate some of the men on the list. besides the Grants because they inter married with a lot of these other families. Probably because they had a lot in common. Berwick Maine might have some info. I now have directions on how to link so now all I have to do is try it! But first back to the list. More to be entered tonight.

Private User
3/17/2011 at 5:44 PM

Down to only 60 ot so names left on the list Then we can start working on profiles.

Private User
3/20/2011 at 6:09 PM

Bjorn, I am giving it my best short. Need to know how to add documents and pictures to it. Can you help me out. Thank you. Judy

Private User
3/21/2011 at 2:53 PM

Well so far only one person wanted to colabarate on the subject and that is Elden.

Private User
3/22/2011 at 4:30 AM

Private User

Sorry I've been off line and nursing my sprained wrist. I think this is a *fascinating* project and about an area of history I didn't know much about. I've learned just from skimming your "project overview."

Count me in as a collaborator.

3/22/2011 at 8:14 AM

Were any of these prisoners relocated to the Caribbean/West Indies?

Private User
3/22/2011 at 11:58 AM

Erica I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the in put. I have a lot of profiles but I will have to include them into this work because I can not get into the ones connected with my family , which then connects with other Scots , as they appear to have stuck together in the beginning. I can't get into grants as it says resolve merges. Unfortunately some of them are not mine plus some do not agree with each other. Don't want to mess things up! people keep saying send me this or that. Send me URl or whatever. Or a link. None of which I know how to do. I had directions but can't find them or gave them to me so I can print them out now that printer is working. I know I tried in the pass and couldn't get it to work. I need some one to walk me through it step by step as I am doing it. Wish I had someone around here to help me. reading it makes no sense. Doing it would.Very aggravated about it right now. But weather I can link or URl or whatever doesn't help me get into tree to add all the info I have. So at the moment I give up. Will just add to project for now. Also I need to know how to add documents and pictures. Tried doing documents, didn't work! Sorry if I sounf frustrated but I am!

Private User
3/22/2011 at 12:02 PM

Kenneth I notice in some of the info I have they spoke of taking some to Barbados. it is quit possible they ended up all over the the Caribbean. As well as Canada. They have Scotish Games in Canada I believe every year. I have several friend who have been to them.

3/22/2011 at 12:05 PM

Yes, Barbados was a colony before Jamaica became one in 1655.

Private User
3/22/2011 at 12:14 PM

Erica, yes please do join in. When the Iron Works opens up I will go down and talk to Curtis and see what I can gleem from him. He's a ranger down. Been there for years. Nice guy. Mr. Provenzano use to volunteer down there, he was my 8th grade teacher in History. and later a pass Pres of the Hist. Soc. in town but unfortunately he died suddenly of complications after a routine operation. Was maybe 69.or so. He had to be a new teacher when I had him. Not that much older then me.He use to write articles for the local papers on the history of the area. Last one he spoke about at our group was on Salem Witch Craft. He was a welth of info. of course I have always been interested in the iron Works , even before I knew the family once owned it. Knew Grant was family name from maine and was hoping to connect directly to James and Peter Grant but it apears their connection is in law. My Grant not sure how he connected up. Another mystrey to be solved, Hope this is not too much info for you!

Private User
3/22/2011 at 12:54 PM

Kenneth I jus did alittle checking on Scots in the West indies. Yes besides in Barbados they were all over the caribbean. Some came voluntary but most did not. Most were indentured servants. According to what I King Charles the 1st appointed James Hay, Earl of Carlisle, a Scot, as governor of the Caribbees, thus many Scots began voluntary settling in Barbados.
However, most Scots came as indentured servants to the West Indies. In 1654 , 500 Scots Prisoners sailed from English and Scottish pots to the West Indies. Most ere wither criminals or political undesirables, such as the Covenanters, who were shipped out in chains from Scotland.

Also the English privy Council received request from planters for indentures servants.

In 1660 the Glasgow based group called the Company Trading to Virginia, the Caribbe Islands, Barbados,New England,St. Kitt,Montserrat, and other colonies in America, established economic connections with the West Indies.
By the end of the 17th century Scot merchants,planters.seafares. and transpotees were found all over the English and Dutch colonies.
Before The Union Act of 1707 as many as 5000 Scots had settled both temporarily and permantly in the West Indies.
There is a book listed called The Orginal Scots Colonists of Early America , Caribean Supplement 1611 - 1707. by David Dobson. i think I am going to see if I can find it in the library.You might also be interested in it. Judy

3/22/2011 at 9:32 PM

Thanks Judith. You might want to join our Jamaican Planters and Barbados Planters projects and add some of this info.

My family is huge, and we came from free, enslaved plantation and Maroon blacks. We still have the original surnames.

Private User
3/22/2011 at 9:53 PM

Hi Judith

Geni made a couple of "screencasts" (little silent videos) exactly to walk people through uploading documents and merging profiles among others FAQ. Check them out here:

http://help.geni.com/categories/9025-video-tutorials

It's the "show and tell" you're looking for I think.

The migration stories are fascinating to me.

Private User
3/27/2011 at 3:35 PM

Kenneth , that's really fascinating. Be interested in knowing more.

3/28/2011 at 8:58 AM

Judith, just join. And jump in where you can.

Private User
3/28/2011 at 11:31 AM

What Kwame said! I love it when people get involved with Projects. I didn't start 200000000 of them to show off you know. I want your profiles loaded up!

Private User
3/28/2011 at 4:56 PM

Barbados might be interesting as one of my Parkers went their with her second husband. Richard Thayer and both died there. We think they never made it back to England , Also Christopher Clake of Boston had business there. Think maybe James Taylor may have come in via Barbados as be was studying to ne a navigator and Clake was in shipping and Tayor married 2ND Clarke's daughter.

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion