What does "claiming" a file mean?

Started by Private User on Monday, March 21, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 18 posts
Private User
3/21/2011 at 12:35 PM

And how does one go about it?

Also, why do I see an option to "request to edit profile" for some people but not for others? I assume these issues are related, but haven't been able to figure it out, sorry!

3/21/2011 at 1:42 PM

I think we (Geni) only ever use the term "claim" to mean a profile -- i.e. when someone puts an email address onto a profile, which sends an invitation for that person to join Geni. Once they do so, their profile is "claimed" and (unless they change their permissions settings) can no longer be edited by anyone other than themselves.

Unclaimed profiles (that is, profiles that are "managed" by one or more Geni users) have the "Request to edit" link. If it's a public profile (shows the green "world" / sphere after the name), it will send a Collaboration request to the primary manager. If it's a private profile it will send a Family Group request to the primary manager.

Private User
3/21/2011 at 2:31 PM

Hmmm, interesting info, thanks! I'm still wondering what it means when I see a user in the discussions saying they "claimed" someone else's profile. Just read one that said, "Hurry to claim it before someone else gets there!" And that's what prompted my question - I guess I'm really wondering if any of the profiles I've entered might be unclaimed because I failed to do something, thus prompting a rush to claim them by others?

And if that's the case, what do I need to do to claim them myself?

And, should I want to, how would I claim a profile that someone else entered? For instance, I'm seeing some that have had no activity since the day they were entered - Jane Doe joins and then never comes back. Is that file considered "unclaimed"?

Questions, questions, questions! I really appreciate any help you can give.

3/21/2011 at 4:23 PM

No, there's nothing you need to do "claim" the profiles you've entered. I'm not sure what you saw in the discussions but it could potentially be a violation of our terms of service, or at the very least uncooperative behavior.

If Jane Doe accepts a request to join the tree and sets her password, then her profile is fully claimed and most likely locked so that no one else can edit it -- it's one of the challenges we face, dealing with people who lose interest but just abandon the site instead of closing their accounts. For this reason, we created a very small middle ground: if someone joins but does NOT set a password, then their profile is "claimed but managed" -- the person who added them to the tree can still edit their profile.

Hope that helps!

3/21/2011 at 8:39 PM

Wow,
This is a really helpful forum. I am glad I "stumbled" on it and am following it.
As a newcomer it has the potential to clarify many as yet unasked questions.

Thanks all

Private User
3/21/2011 at 8:58 PM

@Richard - I agree! Not only are these discussions really great, but one wonderful soul even sent me a private message offering to help answer questions! Geni is not terrifically transparent for newcomers, so I am especially grateful that so many people are willing to help.

My sincere thanks to all!

Private User
3/21/2011 at 9:03 PM

Jennifer & Richard

I know exactly what you mean! Also by reading other people's questions and the helpful answers you can get your own answered without having to post it yourself. :) I'm a huge believer in "lurking." :) :)

Private User
3/21/2011 at 9:58 PM

Actually, Erica, in some cases I'm more than just a lurker, I'm a "stalker"! /lol You, for instance, are an absolute font of knowledge - whenever I'm reading an old thread and see a post with your ID on it, my ears perk up! /grin

Private User
3/22/2011 at 11:10 PM

Aww that's nice to read!

I was just thinking how creative an application Geni really is. It's a whole different way of thinking and learning about history and family, isn't it.

I don't know about you but the idea of "so and so begat so and so" bores me silly - just names and dates, big deal. But tie it into events, collections, images, stories, migration patterns, timelines and share information?

Beats wikipedia and you all inspire me every day. Like take a look at the Projects people come up with. Just the names and topics are fascinating and a whole new way of thinking about genealogy.

Private User
3/23/2011 at 12:09 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with Erica! And with Jennifer's comments about Erica!

Erica: I hope the wrist is getting better.

3/23/2011 at 3:52 AM

Great chain - very helpful! I think I'll ask a few questions I've been struggling with! Maybe I can get some help for people too - sometimes I struggle with the behavior of things in Geni. Great site though - I've found so many living 3rd, 4th and even 5th cousins and I bring them all here to see how we are related... mind boggling when you think about it!

Private User
3/23/2011 at 9:43 AM

What a kick this all is, huh? I mean, where else can you join a group of people doing research on pirate ancestors? I'm with you, Erica, I can while away an hour anytime just looking through the Projects, and, often, laughing myself silly with delight!

As you said, Erica, It's the details of history that make things so much fun. I love knowing that I had one great-great who didn't put salt in her bread. Not that they didn't have salt - they did - she was just ornery and didn't feel like it. And unsalted bread just doesn't taste great. But one evening a guest had the audacity to salt his slice of bread and she was highly offended that she would never allow him back in the house! /grin

Judith brings up a good point though - it can be challenging to find answers to one's questions. I've wondered if there's any sort of Mentor program or project? What I'm envisioning is that more experienced Geni users volunteers to take newbies under their wings... would love to see something like that.

3/23/2011 at 12:34 PM

Jennifer and Judith and Richard,
I'm sure the public discussion group 'Attention Curators, please assist' will be of great assistance to you.

Private User
3/23/2011 at 12:38 PM

Actually, not so much, Brendan, but thanks for the suggestion. I asked for help with a couple of merges there and was told to contact the file managers. I did so, but the file managers have been offline for months. One is actually on active duty (armed forces) overseas, so it could be a matter of yeas before he's able to help. So I'm thinking that thread is not actually the best place to get help at this point. That's why I dove headlong into the Collaboration Pool!

3/23/2011 at 4:37 PM

Jennifer, perhaps you were told this because the relevant profiles are private, thus out of range for Curators? The Collab. Pool can't help you with those either.

Perhaps the absent managers have relatives that are active in the tree and can complete the merges or you?

Private User
3/23/2011 at 6:35 PM

I've checked with several of the relatives involved but not yet had any luck. And you're right, the Collab Pool (I like that abbreviation, thanks!) won't be able to help me with these because the people I can't reach aren't collaborating with anyone.

They're not private profiles. I suspect that everyone just wanted to be sure that I'd taken all the proper steps first, that's all! No big deal, I'm just doing my best to solve it myself before I go back and bug the Curators again! It's sort of like a big jigsaw puzzle, I've decided. You work and worry at one section for awhile, and let it be while you go work on another section... eventually, all the pieces come together.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Private User
3/24/2011 at 3:11 AM

I think "request to edit profile" is shown on profiles of users who have changed the default Permissions in
http://www.geni.com/account_settings/permissions/
and ticked "Let my family edit my profile". So it's a family group request advertising the ability to edit the profile :)

"Hurry to claim it before someone else gets there!" could mean that the profile manager has closed his or her account and there are no other users in the tree that the management would have been transferred to by Geni.

Private User
3/24/2011 at 10:20 AM

Oh, thanks, Livi! Great explanations, i appreciate it!

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion