The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Need Help Deleting a Profile

Started by Jennifer Rossing on Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
3/23/2011 at 8:30 AM

I have had a family member request that I delete his profile entirely from Geni.

Unfortunately back in 2008 he logged into Geni and claimed his profile. He hasn't logged in since, but the claim is preventing me from deleting his profile myself.

Can someone, a curator or Geni staff, please either delete this profile, or "un-claim" it so I can?

Private User

Private User
3/23/2011 at 9:50 AM

Jennifer, I'm new here and have NO answers (lol), just tons of questions! But when I read your request I had to wonder why it's your responsibility to delete his file? What would happen if you simply explained that he needs to delete it himself because you no longer have the power to do so? Then you'd be off the hook and he'd be taking responsibility for himself.

Of course, maybe he's not able to do so. Or maybe it's one of those family things where you're just stuck! And none of it is my business! But I just wonder about things, and hope that in some way my wonderings are helpful. If not, please ignore as there's no offense intended.

3/23/2011 at 10:04 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I have no doubt that your request is perfectly sincere, however if you've ever had one of those prankster siblings you'll understand why our policy is to not delete one user's profile at the request of another. :-) Would he respond to an email sent to the email address he used to claim the profile? If I can get confirmation from him, I'd be happy to unclaim his profile and delete it.

I see from the history on his "about me" text that his concern was that this profile was publicly searchable via Google, etc. Was he aware that he could change that simply by turning off the checkbox labeled "Let the public search for me" at http://www.geni.com/account_settings/permissions ??

3/23/2011 at 10:56 AM

dHey Mike and Jennifer,

Jennifer, you are completely right, this *should* be his own responsibility, and I have explained that it's something he should be doing himself. And Mike, yes I explained that he can log onto his account and a multitude of privacy options are available to him, including making himself un-searchable.

You have no idea how frustrated I am with him at this point.

But, he's family, and I love him, so I'll jump through the hoops ;).

Mike, in answer to your question about his email address, I've sent him a note asking if you can still reach him there. I'll respond to this thread as soon as I hear back.

Thanks so much for jumping in to help me so fast! (And if, when you do talk to him, you could re-iterate that all he has to do is check that silly box... well, maybe he'll take you seriously ;P ).

Private User
3/23/2011 at 12:31 PM

Jennifer said, "You have no idea how frustrated I am with him at this point.
But, he's family, and I love him, so I'll jump through the hoops"

/lol/ Yeah, I get it! No one has the power to frustrate like family!! /grin Good luck and hold on to your sense of humor!! ;)

3/24/2011 at 4:56 AM

Once a person puts data into the system it is THERE...period.

Sounds more like he 'abandoned' Geni....there are ways to get someone added to the data so that they can use and edit it...

Go to the 'abandoned' files discussion and ask someone the best way to get this done...

No need to cause problems within the family....he just started something, decided not to pursue it, and left....there are a lot of people who really wanted a 'personal tree search' program and did not realie that Geni is interactive...

Hope that helps...go to the discussion...abandoned profies

3/25/2011 at 7:29 AM

Fay, thanks for the input, but this isn't (quite) a situation of an abandoned profile. I'm perfectly able to edit his profile- just not remove it. And it is possible to remove it, just that, as Mark said, he's the one that has to request it. He'll also need to request that the webmasters of Geni put in a request to remove the Google cache. Basically- it's a big hassle, for no benefit that I can see, and I tried to explain this to him but he was adamant this was what he wanted done.

As it is, I haven't heard back from him once I told him *he* needed to talk to Geni, not me. So, Mark, I don't know if that email address is valid anymore or not. I guess he'll contact you guys directly if he's interested in pursuing this.

In the meantime, I just removed all links to his profile from my tree, and have removed his name from the profile (name is all that was there in the first place). So it's just a completely unattached node that only he can do anything about.

3/25/2011 at 9:43 AM

Jennifer that may be the best approach. You can create a profile for him that you manage, and if/when he decides to come back to Geni you can always merge them if you and he so choose.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion