The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Changin information or deleting someone from my tree.

Started by Cheryl Knuckles, Mrs. on Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• xxxxx
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
3/23/2011 at 5:28 PM

I established a tree for my family back in 2008. Since then, my tree has really grown. The problem is, I established my brother who died at birth on my tree. And my other brother whose name is very similar, thought that was him and added his information. How can I undo what is already done.

I've done everything I can think of, but it will not allow me to change or delete the information and put it in the correct place. I started it, but since he put his information in it, it has locked me out.

Private User
3/23/2011 at 5:54 PM

Now that that particular profile is "claimed" by a living person, you won't be able to edit it.

Have you tried to add an entirely new brother for the one who died at birth?

Private User
3/23/2011 at 7:16 PM

When you add a new brother, put Died young in the suffix field. That should be a red flag for merges.

3/24/2011 at 6:59 AM
3/24/2011 at 9:50 PM

This seems to be a common problem, especially with new people join who aren't extremely computer literate or have a tendency to NOT read directions! Maybe there should be some more safeguards put in place for brand new people to make sure they understand whose profile they are claiming. My new daughter-in-law is extremely intelligent and very computer literate and somehow there still ended up being two profiles we had to merge when she joined. Sometimes it's hard to figure out when you were the original family member who joined Geni and started your tree -- I'm not really sure exactly what people see when I invite them to join.

My own tree has a very close issue with this profile, which seems to be fairly well known, but hasn't been able to be fixed yet either:

xxxxx

Private User
3/24/2011 at 10:20 PM

I'm trying to help Pamela sort that one. I did manage at one point to communicate outside Geni with the person who entered the profiles through a Gedcom under the pseudonym of someone who lived for only one day!

The problem is that though I manage the deceased Johannes profile, that profile itself still manages over 20,000 profiles, many of which are private and inaccessible. The person who entered the profiles isn't always communicative. Some profiles were released. It is as Pamela said an ongoing saga!

3/25/2011 at 6:46 AM

David I can help move management of the profiles, as long as we can identify a new manager that everyone is happy with. Feel free to send me an Inbox message (include Pamela as well) and we'll sort it out.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion