New Navigation

Started by Philip Weiss on Saturday, March 26, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 192 posts
4/13/2011 at 6:18 PM

Michael Stangel This is a great opportunity to put in my two cents worth on the account settings tabs. Facebook, as an example, gives you a "here is what others can see" snapshot on the privacy settings...is that something Geni is able to offer?

Private User
4/13/2011 at 6:21 PM

It's going to be rather difficult to report abandoned accounts if one can no longer see the date of last login.
Granted, that's one way of handling the (ever increasing?) backlog of unprocessed reports.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 6:22 PM

Anita

I can also answer that. I am your collaborator but not family group. I can see the names and pictures of your parents and sister, your place of birth and current location, who added you and when, and the fact that you are currently online. I can read your guestbook, see who are your followers, five related projects, your recent activity, your collaborators, how many profiles you have invited, manage, etc. and your revision log. I can also choose to hit the big blue button to see how we are related.

If you think I should not be able to see any of that, here is your opportunity to let Mike and Geni know, and explain why.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 6:26 PM

Anita - I also agree that a "here is what others can see" snapshot would be a good idea. Do you want to suggest that as a feature request at http://help.geni.com/forums/337266-feature-requests/entries/new or should I?

Private User
4/13/2011 at 6:33 PM

Anita, I can see that you are online, the relationship tab is there, and if I don't chose to hide it, your immediate family Etc

Private User
4/13/2011 at 6:36 PM

My profile is there for anyone to see. More data for anyone interested. That is how I have found users nearby and even made contact with a user who used to live within a mile of me. Also helps if you want to contact some one by knowing the time where the person is.

4/13/2011 at 6:41 PM

I will Dave...thanks for the link.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 6:46 PM

David, I am answering after my other post because I just found it.
I am surprised that is all you can see on my profile,. Of course I see everything and assumed that anyone else could. That is what I want or i would have changed it in my settings. As for sitting around and watching, I don't know how you investigate things, maybe we use different methods. What I do know is the new "improvements" are going to interfere with the way I do things. Other than the Flash problem things were working OK for my style.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 6:48 PM

Anita, can you see the relationship link?

Private User
4/13/2011 at 7:15 PM

Anita, this is probably a Geni work in progress:-) I am going to check my settings. I should be allowing everything except public searches.

4/13/2011 at 7:16 PM

Thanks to Dave's suggestion, I have posted a Request for a preview of your profile within the account settings page. You can review it here: http://help.geni.com/entries/20026306-privacy-settings-preview

4/13/2011 at 7:23 PM

David, Missed your "what you can see" answer to me...I have my settings set so that you should only be able to see my name. I can't see anything for you or Eldon....but I can see everything for the top 5 other "participants" in this discussion, so there is definitely a bug in the settings, as Mike mentioned.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 7:24 PM

Anita, I have changed some settings. Geni says they will take effect in a few minutes

Private User
4/13/2011 at 7:52 PM

Eldon and Anita: I agree this is clearly a Geni work in progress. I think Mike already more or less told us that. There may also be some inconsistencies to be worked through.

Anita: Yes I can still see for you what I said before, and also more or less the same for the other top participants.

Eldon: no change so far in what I can see for you either.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 7:59 PM

Everything on my privacy settings is set to public.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:03 PM

Eldon: no change as yet. I will try again later.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:03 PM

Just went to a profile of someone who joined the collaboration pool. Public profile and no way to request collaboration.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:07 PM

Eldon: If you mean the profile Robert Allen that was just added:

I am glad you cannot request to collaborate with that profile: it is deceased

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:12 PM

Anita: You are not a collaborator with the deceased Robert Allen. You may be a collaborator with the live manager David John Coffin.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:17 PM

It does not show as deceased and no dates. showed as being added to the collaboration pool on my main page by David John Coffin.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:25 PM

He's not deceased - he's just resting.

Does Robert's profile blank picture at Robert Allen have a line across it in top left corner - if so he is deceased.

At http://www.geni.com/projects/people/Collaboration-Pool - is he deceased?

He is deceased.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:35 PM

It has the line now but it didn't when i looked 15 minutes ago. Geni is all fouled up tonight. Five minutes ago I lost Flash on my main page.

4/13/2011 at 8:35 PM

You guys are going way too fast for me to keep up. :-)

First, allow me to be blunt about what happened: we released a half-finished feature. We can't back it out, because releasing this part (restricting the site so that knowing or guessing a person's profile ID does not reveal personal information about them or their immediate family) is a prerequisite to other features that we must get done. Part of what affects what you see, is whether or not you have elected to be publicly searchable at http://www.geni.com/account_settings/permissions

What we released (mostly) accomplished that goal, with the drawback that it's showing too little information to collaborators and curators. We'll certainly be releasing the big obvious ones (like Activity tab for curators) sometime tomorrow. Fixing the more subtle ones (like last login -- curators only? Curators and collaborators? everyone?) will most likely bleed into next week.

Anita we used to have a feature that showed you how your profile looked to family members or friends or curators or the general public. With all those choices you can imagine why we chose to pull such a complicated feature. Now that we've simplified privacy quite a bit, I'll talk to Noah about brining it back.

Thank you all for your patience.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 8:47 PM

Mike, three comments. "New and improved" usually isn't! And If it aint broke dont "Fix"it
I still feel like a lab rat. Public advance notice would be nice:-)

Private User
4/13/2011 at 9:08 PM

Mike, three comments:
1. Thank you for your honesty.
2. Thank you for listening and responding to our thoughts.
3. I appreciate that this is a work in progress.

Private User
4/13/2011 at 9:17 PM

Mike, while I agree with David, I still think advance notice would be good. Just look at all the posting that probably wouldn't have been done if we knew something was happening. Plus, I was going back and forth with 2 computers and 3 browsers trying to figure out if my equipment was the problem.

4/13/2011 at 11:16 PM
Private User
4/14/2011 at 5:39 AM

Lauri, I think you are missing the point here. I want to collaborate with a person, no way to do it. I want to see relationship, no way to do it. I want to know if a person has abandoned a tree, no way to know. The list goes on. All the things you want to see are now hidden I usually don't need the things you are talking about, many of them, I shouldn't need to know.

Private User
4/14/2011 at 5:53 AM

I also have no ways to access the trees

Private User
4/14/2011 at 6:19 AM

There was a change.

For instance, when I'm evaluating a collaborator, I want to know if they joined yesterday or three years ago; if they've added 1 profile or 10,000; if they have other collaborators. Etc.

Until yesterday I could *see* that information.

Apparently I'm quite hidden now except symbolically LOL. I'll fool around with loosening up my settings. I have no modesty :)

Showing 91-120 of 192 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion