Tonight is census night in the UK

Started by Terry Jackson (Switzer) on Sunday, March 27, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 6 posts
3/27/2011 at 3:34 PM

I will be completing our Census form in the morning and of course, now, I could complete it online, however I like the idea that one of my descendants in the future will have access to this census and I know I would rather have the chance of seeing the actual handwriting of my ancestors than a typewritten form so can't help feeling that my descendants will feel the same. (especially given that handwritten documents are becoming rarer because of computers) What I find surprising is that people have been allowed to return their census forms early. How can anyone be absolutely certain that circumstances won't change? For instance had I completed my census form early i would have included my brother and sister in law who have been visiting from Canada however they were unexpectedly called back to Canada because of the collapse of the Government, so if I'd completed the form early it would have been incorrect. This is relevant to family history as we all use censuses at some time or other. Do we think written forms should continue in use and should be submitted on or after census night or does it really not matter?

Marvin
3/27/2011 at 8:08 PM

A Census in one nite. It'd be funny to see them try that in the US. I't takes them months to tell you about it, then many more months for the Census takers to try to hunt down the people who didn't fill out the form. I've got some relatives who seem to have gone thier whole life and where never included in a Census.
It would be nice to be able to fill it out on line, but it's so much fun watching the Census takers trying to find an address for a house that burned down years ago or one that was renumbered by the post office so is really not there.

Private User
3/28/2011 at 12:33 AM

BELGIAN CENSUS
There was a census in Belgium a month or two ago. I read only one article about it in a newspaper. No one had to fill in any forms. City Hall computers were the sources for the information about everyone. So no one will see how my handwriting looked on this last Census.

3/28/2011 at 2:02 AM

new zealands census got cancelled because of the earthquake. $90 million down the drain...

Marvin
3/28/2011 at 8:57 AM

Private User

How does the City know haow many people live at what house? What about people that are moving and turned off there lights in one place and haven't got it turn on in another? Seems like a lot of people could be missed, and if they own more than one house, counted twice.

Private User
3/28/2011 at 11:11 AM

People who actually live in Belgium have "Identity Cards" from the time they are 12 years old. When people move or are planning to stay here for more than a few weeks they are supposed to register at the appropriate City Hall.

You can only have one residence at time. That's probably how it works.
If someone is visiting and haven't registerd they won't be counted but if they are Belgians who live in Belgium they will be included in the Census somewhere else.

You can have one or more homes but they are for vacation or to rent.

If you move from one place to another I believe you go to the new City Hall and then they make contact the first City Hall. You have to show your electronic ID when you make changes.

Other places you will have to show your ID;
For the first visit your medical insurance card and ID and then your ID.
When a Belgian goes to vote.
At the city dump.
To get a driver's license
To buy a car
To get married
To travel within the EU
etc.
"Big Brother" has been keeping track of the people living here long before he appeared in America.

These are probably the reasons why this last Belgian Census could be carried out with the information stored in computers.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion