Display Data - First Ladies

Начала Anita M. Boynton Пятница, 1 Апреля 2011

Участники:

Показаны все 9 сообщений
1/4/2011 в 11:05 до полудня

Howdy...

In paging thru the profiles, we have "First Lady","First Lady of the US" and "First Lady of the United States of America"...

Consensus on what we want to go with?

Private User
1/4/2011 в 10:12 после полудня

I think that "First Lady" is sufficient.

Sometimes in trying to include everything, we make it difficult to *see* anything -- it becomes clutter.

Private User
1/4/2011 в 10:23 после полудня

When in doubt, match Wikipedia, as that's what we're all trained to search for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Lady

First Lady[1] or First Gentleman is the unofficial title used in some countries for the spouse of an elected head of state.

The title "First Lady" originated in the United States in 1849, when United States President Zachary Taylor called Dolley Madison "First Lady" at her state funeral while reciting a eulogy ...

*n.b. nice photo captioned: Bella Kocharyan, Laura Bush, Lyudmila Putina and Zorka Parvanova — first ladies of Armenia, the United States, Russia and Bulgaria in 2003.

SO perhaps on an international site such as Geni "disambiguation" efforts would lead to the *formal / informal* title being:

First Lady of the United States of America

IN the about me text.

As Jenna points out, "tree view" real estate is limited and tiny, and more text it harder, not easier, on searches and matches.

I would say, use the suffix field (NOT the middle name, never!) and put it First Lady. Save the full title for "profile" view in the "overview" tab.

For example:

First Name: Dolley
Middle Name: left blank
Maiden Name: Payne
Last Name: Madison
Suffix: First Lady
Display Name: Dolley Madison, First Lady

There's an occupation field that can be used:
Occupation First Lady of the United States of America

There's a nickname field that can be used for any alternate names, including her full name that includes her lst spouse, John Todd:
Nickname: Dolley Payne Todd Madison

What say others?

1/4/2011 в 10:39 после полудня

My first thought was, do you really need the "of the United States of America" when their location should list their country, but then I thought about Grace Kelly (Kelley?) and Monaco. Now I'm all confused! LOL! I prefer simplicity however.

Private User
1/4/2011 в 10:42 после полудня

First Lady of what? Use First Lady of "country" in the suffix field. Anyone will see that at first glance without scrolling down. Oh how I wish I had a vertical monitor :-(

Private User
1/4/2011 в 10:53 после полудня

All the First Ladies in USA should, at this point, be MPs and we can put it in curator notes. Wouldn't that make sure it's clear enough for merges?

Private User
1/4/2011 в 10:55 после полудня

I think the problem *won't* be mixing them up from other countries such as Princess Grace of Monaco. I think the problem is incorrect merges with ladies of similar name in Colonial America, so our efforts should be focused to those who need *that* disambiguation help.

Hopefully no one is merging / managing in that area who doesn't realize we're talking about the US.

4/4/2011 в 8:25 до полудня

So.....

We go with "First Lady" in the suffix box and in the display name
First Lady of the United States of America in About Me and occupation

Nicknames can be used if/as/when needed

Do we have a general consensus?

4/4/2011 в 11:08 до полудня

Me again... You will find I am a stickler for "do it the same way every time", sorry!

Some of the First Ladies have their maiden names spelled out (as in Erica's nickname example on Dolley above) while others have the maiden name in parenthesis, as per Geni default. Do we want to convert to nicknames on all for continuity? (In my humble opinion, this should really be Geni wide, not just on this project.)

Показаны все 9 сообщений

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении