UNWANTED MERGE

Started by May Anne McGuffin on Monday, April 4, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 6 posts
4/4/2011 at 8:54 AM

@May Anne McGuffin profile: I never gave anyone permission to merge a family tree with mine .In fact I declined a request because I saw a lot of duplicates and some errors I didn't want to have to deal with. I set up this tree for my own family to see my genealogy work and wanted only our own bloodline included. Now I find at least one merge has taken place, completely without my authorization, and there are so many side branches, I can't find my own ancestors.
Dear Geni Team: Please undo this and any other merges that may have been done or I will have no choice but to abandon my family tree.

4/5/2011 at 4:57 AM

May Anne McGuffin,
could you post a link to the specific profile(s), that were merged, so w can look into how this happened?

I see that of the 105 profiles that you added, 85 are public (including half of the ancestors you entered going back to ~1700). So what MOST likely happened is that someone found a match, and proposed it and it was completed by a Curator. Geni's stated goal is to create a single historical tree, with one single profile for each person. We have a whole team of Curators clearing up duplicates in Colonial USA, and Curators have the task of merging all public duplicates.

Shmuel-Aharon Kam,
Geni Curator

4/5/2011 at 8:25 AM

@May Anne McGuffin Thanks for your attention. You curators have got a formidable task! I will try to sort out where the interlopers start coming in, but I'm having a hard time accessing my tree and activity records. I found some between March 30 and last week, but they disappeared.

Private User
4/5/2011 at 9:18 AM

May Anne McGuffin

As a curator for colonial America I am happy to help Shmuel look into this but it really would be great if you "tagged" an ancestor profile for us. See tagging here for hints:

See Tagging under ==> http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Glossary#T

I suspect all of your ancestors are quite there, we just need to help you see them better.

When I first merged into the World Family Tree I broke through "brick walls" and it was pretty awesome for my family. They're still being amazed by the new information about our family we're able to more easily find now.

4/5/2011 at 9:27 AM

@May Anne McGuffin I believe everything up through the 6th generation before mine was entered by me.
The trouble appears in the 7th with Jane Mendenhall (1763-1793.) She and her husband Jonathan Wheeler were my entries, but about a score of Mendenhall siblings and their spouses have been introduced by someone else. Higher generations of Jane Mendenhall's branch are likewise infested with these overproliferated Mendenhalls.

Is these some function by which I can hide these off-bloodline relatives?

4/5/2011 at 11:45 AM

well when displaying the tree, you have under Settings (at the bottom) the option to display ancestors only. You can also limit the number of generations show. But these profiles will still remain in your collective tree.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion