• Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
4/4/2011 at 5:34 PM

Curators (or anyone else) - Request assistance on spouses for John Olmstead

Lt. John Olmstead

John Olmstead (1649 - 1704) was the second son of Richard Olmstead and Elizabeth Haugh. Mary Benedict and John were wed on July 17, 1673 in Norwalk, Conn. and raised seven children. Mary died in about 1687 or 1688 and John then remarried, before 1690, to Elizabeth (Pardee) Gregory, widow of Thomas Gregory. Together, John and Elizabeth had five children. It is not known how he earned the rank of Lieutenant. Both marriages can be verified through the Collection of Conneticut Town Vital Records, Vol 1-55, Geneology Publishing Company and The Conneticut Town Marriage Records, pre-1870, Barbour Collection (Data Base on-line).

Currently, John Olmstead is shown with 4 spouses (Mary Benedict, Elizabeth Pardee, Elizabeth Marvin 1922-1689 and Elizabeth Marvin 1597-1618). I have requested sources from the managers of both Elizabeth Marvin’s for marriage to John Olmstead, but have received no response. My research has in fact verified that there are 4 Elizabeth Marvin’s from that time period:
Elizabeth Marvin (1597 -1618): Born Great Bentley, Essex, England to Mathew Marvin and Elizabeth Gregory..no spouse is indicated, but she died before John Olmstead was born, so she cannot be a spouse.
Elizabeth Marvin (1622-1689): Born Great Bentley, Essex, England to Mathew Marvin and Elizabeth Gregory, no source for a spouse can be found
Elizabeth Marvin (1627-1681: Born Ramsey, Essex, England to Reinhold Marvin, no source for spouse can be found
Elizabeth Marvin (1628-1713): Born Great Bentley, Essex, England to Mathew Marvin and Elizabeth Gregory; source marriage to Joseph Platt on 11/6/1700 in Norwalk, Conn

There is no record or source that reflects the marriage of Elizabeth Marvin to John Olmstead that I can find.
The problem here is two-fold:

Receiving confirmation from the profile managers for both Elizabeth Marvin’s reflecting a source for th marriage to John Olmstead. And if that cannot be verified:

How do we remove both Elizabeth Marvin’s as spouses to John Olmstead!

Sorry for this complex request, but I am not sure what else to do!

Private User
4/5/2011 at 1:55 AM

Hi James

You've done some great work here -- are you the one who added the notes to the "about me" ?

It would be helpful if direct links to the outside sources are put in as well. Saves on the google searching.

I'll put this on my own to do list. There should be valid data for an early CT ancestor out there.

Private User
4/5/2011 at 5:20 AM

Erica - Thanks! Yes, I am using the "Read ME" icon for the notes...thought that others might want to know what was included on profiles from research...and maybe improve on it! I am slowely trying to add the outside links to the about me...and included them in the profile for John Olmstead! I am convinced that ALL the Elizabeth Marvin's are the same person...instead of 4 different ladies...but am still not sure! What I am sure of is that John Olmstead did not marry an Elizabeth Marvin..but I do not know how to solve the problem!

Private User
4/5/2011 at 9:35 AM

So -- we need to figure out:

- if Elizabeth Marvin (1597-1618) was actually married 3 times (could be!) -- but not to John Olmstead -- see dates :) :)

Elizabeth Marvin

- if John Olmstead (1649-1704) was actually married 3 times and the names of his wives.

Lt. John Olmstead

Meanwhile I'm going to geni-divorce him from Elizabeth Marvin (1597-1618).

Hey progress!

Private User
4/5/2011 at 9:55 AM

James

I'm now merging up and around and I swear, there's a geni vibe or something going on, because when I looked at

James Olmstead

I saw that he was a soldier in King Philip's War.

Not two days ago we started a Project on King Philip's War so we could learn more!

http://www.geni.com/projects/King-Philip-s-War

I added the Sgt's profile to the project and you are welcome to join us as a collaborator. Just send a request.

Private User
4/5/2011 at 12:57 PM

Erica..It an amazinly small world! Have fun! I assume that all I have to do to join the project is to hit Follow?

Jim

Private User
4/5/2011 at 1:04 PM

Erica...regardles what others might say...you do good work..looks like you have solved the problem! Thanks for spending the time...know you have other things on your plate!

Jim

Private User
4/5/2011 at 1:09 PM

I do pick and choose a little bit.:) Of course Olmstead is a name I wanted to find out more about, in general, and I really got excited about the King Philip's War connection.

Yes, hit "follow" on a Project. And "request to collaborate" to bring on over your ancestors who participated -- I bet there are a bunch.

Private User
4/5/2011 at 1:10 PM

Oh to add a "Public" profile to a Project all you have to do is "follow" it and then "add to project" in the profile, drop down, select project.

Private User
4/5/2011 at 1:58 PM

Done! I know I have run into other family members that were part of King Phillips War...so I will endeavor to add them...as soon as I figure out how to do it! Thanks again!

Jim

4/5/2011 at 3:58 PM

James - I have added you as a collaborator to the King Philip's War project. You'll find the link to the project on the right hand side of your profile near "About Me".

I was also impressed with your research and thoroughness for John Olmstead.

Private User
4/5/2011 at 5:16 PM

Hatte - Thanks!

Jim

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion