Anyone help me on my tree?

Started by Wishyut Pitawanik on Monday, April 4, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 22 posts
4/4/2011 at 9:12 PM

Does anyone know someone whose surname is Fong and was born around 1936??? I would seriously appreciate it.
P.S. The people I'm looking for was probably born in China...

Private User
4/5/2011 at 2:02 AM

Hi Wishyut

What country / places did Mr. Fong go to? I'm in America so my best knowledge is on those resources.

4/5/2011 at 4:12 AM

All I know was that Mr. Fong married a woman who died in China, and I think they were rather rich... so I guess they stayed in China. I mean, most people wouldn't go to other countries and leave their wealth behind, right?

4/5/2011 at 10:50 AM

Have you tried using search? There seem to be a large number of Fong's in Geni some from the US and others not.

Private User
4/5/2011 at 11:27 AM

Oh, lots of reasons for migrations, particularly in 1936, we had a little event called World War ll. :) :)

Are you building your family tree from scratch? Always good to start by interviewing your older relatives for their names and photos and so on. What I've found from that is they may get some details wrong (like dates) but the general picture can be really helpful. And they might remember things like "my cousin so and so did a family history a few years ago, I have her email address somewhere ..."

4/6/2011 at 4:32 AM

Yes, Erica Isabel Howton, I started it from scratch... apparently I have have a REALLY old relative just next door, but I still haven't asked them yet. I also recently found a genolgy book about the some family with the name of Fong, so I'm t'm trying to see where my (great)grandfather was, but sadly its in Chinese...
Damn.

4/6/2011 at 7:16 PM

Ahhhh.
I asked my father to help me translate, and now we've gone so far back (somewhere 1244). However, we only got the FATHER'S names (apparently the maker eventually got bored of tracking people; and that was the last part they had to finish...) Does anyone know who their wives/children are? Feel free to take a look at my Tree if you want.

4/11/2011 at 3:03 AM

@Wishyut Pitawanik, this is interesting, well done with what you have achieved so far. Now you probably need to get the help of Chinese people. This is not an area I have any expertise in and I have no idea what records are available for the Chinese to consult. As a first step I would suggest that now you have a translation you try to make contact with some Chinese who would have a better idea of what records are available to you. I suspect there may be many as China is such an ancient and advanced society. So, compose a message in Chinese asking for advice or help and then post that here on Geni but also on Rootsweb mailing lists etc. There are Fongs on Geni so you never know...
Good luck and keep us posted.

4/15/2011 at 7:15 PM

@Terry Jackson...And unfortunately I do not have a Chinese keyboard or the ability to understand Chinese. And I doubt many Fongs know English either.
The best I can do is to use a Chinese sheet composer, but it takes quite a long time to find the word you're looking for.

4/21/2011 at 11:10 PM

Ohh!!
I just found out that several children of "Pong" Pitawanik (You know, of the Fong family) are in America, working for the government. Any help finding them would be appreciated.

4/23/2011 at 1:46 PM

If they are not yet on Geni Wishyut you could try Rootsweb Mailing lists for a start or I've found Genes Reunited quite helpful as well.

5/11/2011 at 12:34 AM

No, I can't find them on both.

Private User
7/6/2011 at 6:58 AM

FamilySearch.org just released digital images on Chinese genealogies. If you read the language, these may help. http://bit.ly/pc5Jbi

7/7/2011 at 3:24 AM

YES!!! Thanks.

7/7/2011 at 3:30 AM

Oh, and by the way, how do I help them update it(the genealogy)? Do I have to sign in?

Private User
7/7/2011 at 3:43 AM

The genealogies are digital records of primary records, so there is no updating. You can use them as reference in your own research.

Private User
8/3/2011 at 8:31 AM

From familysearch.org (which is an awesome site), you could tell that it's not enough to know you are a Fong or Fang. You need to know where you are from, down to the county level, and chances are the site does not have your family. Given the population of China, and the long tradition of surname practice (well over 2000 years), you really need to specify which Fang you are. To the Chinese, the hometown is in effect part of your identity, and should be part of the surname (in fact it was used as a semi-formal address for many dignitaries in the past.) If Geni wants to better accomodate the Chinese users, a "name field" of hometown 籍貫 should be added.

Private User
8/3/2011 at 9:56 AM

This would be useful for my American and English ancestors as well. They were not imaginative in naming people.

8/22/2011 at 5:26 AM

Most people call the surname as Feng, but SE Asains call it as Fong.
Oh, and I found a Malaysian branch of my family via:
http://www.mychinesefamilytree.net/

Private User
8/22/2011 at 9:26 AM

I'm sorry, I thought you meant 方, which I know is spelled Fong in Cantonese.

Is your Feng written like 風, 豐, 封, or 馮? They are completely different names, with the last one being most common. That's why one should always include the Chinese characters when doing genealogy.

9/9/2011 at 7:02 AM

I never knew there was that much "Feng"s there...
To be precise, its 馮.
(No wonder I was surprised when I saw many "Fengs" in the Three Kingdoms novel...)

10/11/2011 at 7:35 PM

Uhh, anyone mind helping me translate the genealogy here?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-12305-33035-12?cc=178798...

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion