GEDCOM export limitations

Started by Byron Jason Whitesides on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
4/26/2011 at 10:08 PM

It would be really great if pro users had the ability to export the 100,000 records currently reserved as "forrest", as ancestors instead.

I would like to be able to get as far back in my family tree as possible. I am listed as having almost 66,000 ancestors, but doing the "forrest" export only puts me back about 21 generations. Unfortunately, the individual records that I really want to have access to are further back.

Private User
4/26/2011 at 10:50 PM

Hello Byron.

I know that there are a couple of 'Partner' companies with a variety of charting options. They directly export data from Geni. I have to dig through older discussions to find links for the two companies/sites I tried.

(If any other curators see this and can get their cursors on the info faster than me, please do!)

4/27/2011 at 12:32 AM

Thanks. I appreciate it.

My goal is to be able to export as much as I can of my family tree. I am particularly interested in my direct lineage.

4/27/2011 at 12:45 AM

Oddly enough, you are my 17th cousin thrice removed.

4/28/2011 at 4:14 PM

My problem is the opposite...I can't get just the small amount of info I want.

I tried to export a Descendant file for my 3rd great grandfather...no spouse info because you only get "blood line" info.

So then I choose a forest for that same grandfather, that we have his parents names, no grand parents, and only about 350 descendants....my software is still importing the GEDCOM and is at 98,000 records. This is fine if I had wanted my 45th great grandfather on the other side of the tree, but I didn't want that.

Is there a way to export just a branch of a tree, but get the whole thing...and nothing else?

8/28/2011 at 1:30 PM

Any updates on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

7/24/2013 at 5:16 AM

Checking again about updates.

I want to export at least all the "blood" relatives and can't get nearly close enough with the limitations on size, by means of number of people.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion