September 11 memorial project

Started by Michael Pierce on Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 29 posts
5/3/2011 at 8:31 PM

In reflecting on recent events, I thought about the person in my tree that lost his life on 9/11 in the World Trade Center. I've just started working with Projects on Geni and I figured that there must be a project for 9/11 on Geni somewhere. A bunch of searches later, nothing. So I decided to start one!

If you also have someone in your tree that lost their lives in the September 11 attacks, please take a moment to add them to this memorial project. You can either email a link to the person's profile to me or add a link to their profile in the project's description.

Our goal is to identify as many of the victims and add them to the project by September 11, 2011.

Thank you.

5/3/2011 at 10:04 PM

Michael Pierce OMG, you are absolutely right---thank you so much for creating a September 11th Memorial Project on Geni! We will all certainly try to help you identify as many profiles as possible by the 10th anniversary of September 11.

http://www.geni.com/projects/September-11-Memorial

5/4/2011 at 12:10 PM

Private User As a seasoned curator and computer expert, do you think it would be possible for a query field to be created in the search to see if there are any 9/11 casualties on Geni?

Michael has the list of victims, and was wondering if we could help identify any victims with Geni profiles to add in time for the tenth commemorative anniversary this September 11th?

Private User
5/4/2011 at 12:25 PM

It would only be possible to locate searchable public deceased profiles, which is unlikely unless the manager have changed the default privacy of the profile.

Finding them might be possible if you have a list of all the names we can query the server with and some more details like birth-date to compare with.

5/4/2011 at 12:42 PM

Private User Thank you for you quick response. You are super! The list of all the names in alphabetic order appears on Michael's September 11 Memorial Project.

There are no birthdates, but the unfortunately everyone on the ilst has the same date of death. ie. 9/11/2001

In addition, the lists are by location too.

Private User
5/4/2011 at 1:35 PM

I have tested the API for search and to avoid jamming the server with requests I need to find out if it is possible to pass some filter criteria to it.

5/4/2011 at 2:26 PM

You are so super! You have already lost me re the tech aspect. Is this something Michael has to provide, or you are just awaiting a response from the Geni techies?

5/5/2011 at 3:52 AM

Private User Any ideas to add?

Private User
5/5/2011 at 11:27 AM

Perhaps a way to utilize already published resources, such as this one?

http://www.cantorfamilies.com/cantor/jsp/index.jsp

from Wikipedia ..."Cantor Fitzgerald lost 658 employees": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_Fitzgerald

5/5/2011 at 11:47 AM

Erica, The "Cantor Families" webiste is superbly moving and beautiful, I added it to the Michael's project.

Private User
5/19/2011 at 10:20 PM

I wonder if we can Tie In, data upload, and / or otherwise partner with the wonderful organization StoryCorps and their 9-11 memorial project?

Bring StoryCorps to your community

StoryCorps and the Museum are partnering with organizations, companies, and other groups who work with those affected by the events of September 11th. Our staff are trained to be supportive of the people you serve, and we offer specially designed materials to help make the process as easy and comfortable as possible. A StoryCorps interview is a meaningful opportunity for reflection and remembrance. Find out how you can bring StoryCorps to your community.

http://storycorps.org/initiatives/september-11th/

Their home office is fairly local to me. If a list of ideas on how we at geni -- and more specifically, this project -- can tie in?

I'm thinking specifically of:

- MP3's recorded through StoryCorps uploaded to their project profiles

- Geni family trees and this Project as an awareness item for the 9-11 StoryCorps project people

- Other ideas?

Tagging George Gearhart

5/20/2011 at 10:13 AM

It would take a lot of engineering effort to do something like that. We've actually explored doing tribute videos as part of a separate promotion, and we decided that the resources aren't justified at this point.

I think it's a great idea, and a good fit for Geni, but it's not a top priority right now. That could change in the coming months.

5/20/2011 at 12:19 PM

Private User & Michael Stangel Any further feedback on whether it is possible to search geni for September 11th victims via the unfortunate death date query, ie. September 11th, and location, NYC? Perhaps then we could see if any of the families would like to add the profiles to our Tribute to the 10th anniversary commemoration coming up in September.

As you can see we have all the names alphabetized.

5/20/2011 at 1:46 PM

I count 86 profiles in the database with death date 11 Sep 2001, where "New York" or "NYC" appears in the death location (not case sensitive). Only one of them (Christopher Sullivan) is already in the project.

Four of the remaining 85 are public profiles, so I'd feel okay sharing those as long as George or Noah approved it. For the other 81, it's such a sensitive topic that I'm concerned about anyone contacting the managers about private profiles. (Keep in mind they'd have to be made public to be tagged in a project). I'd really need Noah Tutak's input on that one.

5/20/2011 at 1:54 PM

Michael Stangel Good point, I never thought of the fact that they would be make Public if they were added to the project. I will get back to Michael Pierce and explain that to him. Thanks so much for your invaluable research and for alerting us to the sensitivity and complexity of the idea.

5/20/2011 at 6:41 PM

All...you can make a profile public, add it to a project, then remark it as Private. The profile link will still show in the Project, but the link will take you to the private profile page.

You can see examples here...I would say 30% of the profiles are private that I added this way: http://www.geni.com/projects/Stampfler-Family

5/20/2011 at 6:43 PM

Let me caution that with that I haven't tested it outside of my family group....so I may be wrong and non-family members can't see 119 profiles.

5/21/2011 at 12:44 PM

I think you're right, but it's a bug. :-/

Private User
5/21/2011 at 1:10 PM

I would not call it a bug, but a feature you can use to add profiles to a project and still keep some privacy.

Malka, I mentioned above that it is unlikely to find public profiles of the victims.

5/21/2011 at 1:29 PM

Michael Stangel...please don't fix it yet! I want to get all of my family profiles all tied to a project first!

5/21/2011 at 1:59 PM

Keep in mind that projects are open to search engines. I can't promise that names and profile links on the project pages won't be indexed by Google.

5/21/2011 at 2:56 PM

I just tested it on my grandfather. The Google search page has some info from his profile...first couple of lines of about me...but I was not able to get to his full profile without logging in first.

Would someone else test it? Floyd V Stampfler @ www.google.com

Private User
5/21/2011 at 3:10 PM

It's a balance, - in this case all the names are public information already as the project links to, also about their families. We should however ask for permission to link the profiles to the project.

To compare: The royal wedding project and Geni's focus on the profiles of the current generations would be impossible without breaking THEIR privacy by making the profiles public, which following ANY privacy rule should be kept private. It all comes down to if this is information that already is public information. I am not sure if every Geni member of the royal family agree.

BTW: Thanks for making the search which would be impossible to do with the API as of today.

Private User
5/21/2011 at 3:20 PM

BTW, this was an answer to Mike, not to Anita and her project.

6/28/2011 at 4:30 PM

Hi everyone. I wanted to take a moment and thank you for contributing your time, effort and thoughts to this project. I particularly appreciate the thoughts regarding privacy and the potential impact of adding people to the project for family members.

I'm hopeful that, over time, this will become a meaningful project on Geni and participation will grown. Until then, I'll continue to look for good 9/11 resources around the web and add them to this project as I can.

Thank you all!

Michael
9/11/2012 at 12:02 AM

quite by accident i stumbled upon this project... and am sadded deeply
blood relations take on a whole new meaning when you know they died horibily! chris p sullivan my 9th cousin twice removed's wife's first cousin once removed batt cpt Orio Palmer my 16th cousin once removed
Melissa Rose Barnes my 8th great uncle's uncle's wife's 7th great granddaughter's husband's second great niece.. Berry Berenson my 10th great aunt's brother's wife's fifth great grandson's wife RIP

Michael
9/11/2012 at 12:15 AM

We remember. We honor. We pay tribute. And we will never forget.

9/11/2012 at 11:35 AM

Thank you for stopping by, spending time with this project, and sharing your comments, Michael. Your posting gave me the idea to start a "Tributes" discussion thread...thanks for the great idea.

Michael
9/11/2012 at 4:33 PM

your welcome and Michael Pierce am not sure thru what peerage but you would be my 10th cousin once removed..

Showing all 29 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion