Mormon Pioneer Projects Request for Help

Начал Randy Stebbing Пятница, 13 Мая 2011

Участники:

Упомянутые профайлы:

Проекты:

Показаны сообщения с 31 по 60 из 79.
Private User
9/6/2011 в 12:16 до полудня

Randy - What a delightful read! I love first hand accounts. They provide such a clear window through which one can view the past.

12/6/2011 в 7:37 после полудня

I've finished transcribing and cleaning up the 728 names/profiles that start with the letter "B" in the book Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah. These join the 260 biographies completed about 3 weeks ago of surnames starting with "A".

Its going slow but all told there will be about 6,450 profiles eventually prepared for a future upload to geni.com on various Mormon pioneers.

If your interested in the types of info contained in a typical profile from this book check out the "Biographical Summary #2" from the Joseph Kingsbury profile.

Private User
12/6/2011 в 8:39 после полудня

Congratulations, Randy, that's quite the accomplishment.

Private User
13/6/2011 в 8:02 до полудня

Keep up the good work

13/6/2011 в 10:40 до полудня

I love what you're doing, Randy.

13/6/2011 в 6:11 после полудня

Randy, you are incredible. I have so much respect for your talent and dedication. I feel like I'm watching a master at work. :)

13/6/2011 в 6:31 после полудня

Randy, it's wonderful to read about any project you're connected with. You make history come alive and you are so careful and complete in your work. I can't believe that WASP, Jewish me has two Mormon descendant cousins -- you and Justin. We are all cousins indeed.

18/6/2011 в 9:53 до полудня

We just surpassed the 3,500 profile included with these projects. New project totals up on the project master page for each year:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Mormon-Pioneers-1847-1868-Master-Project

Again if you have any Mormon Pioneer ancestors please reply to this discussion topic with links to the public profiles so that I can add them to the correct project.

18/6/2011 в 3:31 после полудня

Randy, if we have ancestors who are suspected to have moved out West with the/as Mormons but we don't have documenting evidence other than family stories, are you still interested? I'm assuming you must have some way of verifying all of that?

Private User
18/6/2011 в 4:39 после полудня

how do i add a link of the profiles that i am working on?

18/6/2011 в 4:42 после полудня

Ashley,

Go a head and send me their names.

Also this database has fairly complete coverage of documented Mormon pioneers:

http://lds.org/churchhistory/library/pioneercompanysearch/1,15773,3...

For females you should search for the name that they used on the pioneer manifests, which for adults would be their married name not their maiden name. You can also look up people by just their first name and then once you're on the page that shows the search results you can do a search just on that page for your ancestor. Years of arrival in Utah would be from 1847-1868. Most often families traveled together so sometimes looking for a parent or sibling will turn up your ancestor's name spelled just differently enough that you couldn't find it directly.

Also just because they didn't die in Utah isn't an indication that they weren't Mormon Pioneer's. Brigham Young sent settlers throughout the mountain west as colonizers with additional large settlements in colonies in Mexico and Canada.

18/6/2011 в 4:44 после полудня

Looks like the link was wrong in the previous post.

The Mormon Pioneer database can be searched here:

http://lds.org/churchhistory/library/pioneercompanysearch/

Private User
18/6/2011 в 4:45 после полудня

Hannah Hair (Mulholland)

Randy, This is the sister of my 3rd great-grandfather. She was married in Scotland to Samuel Hair, converted to Mormonism (the family was Presbyterian) and they immigrated to Utah with their 9 children. They arrived in NYC on the ship "Nevada" on June 5, 1878 and traveled to Utah. I have the family history book that has detailed info but can't find it at the moment. Mary

Private User
18/6/2011 в 4:49 после полудня

It looks like my Hair-Mulholland family arrived a little later than your project dates. I think it is interesting, though, that such a large family immigrated from Scotland to Utah. Mary

18/6/2011 в 6:06 после полудня

Well they may be to late for pioneer status but their lifespans are perfect age brackets for possible inclusion and lookup in Utah death certificates. I did a quick search on your 3rd ggmother and it looks like she died of a broken leg.

https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.fa...

You can probably find Samuele's death certificate also :)

Here is a search link for deaths between 1904 and 1956.

https://familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgiven...

18/6/2011 в 6:13 после полудня

Mary, I misread the relationship to the person mentioned. The death certificate I pointed you to was your 3ggaunt not your 3rggmother.

And Samuel Hair's death certificate is there also:

https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.fa...

Private User
18/6/2011 в 6:51 после полудня

Yes, she was my 3rd great aunt. Their many children married into other Mormon pioneer families. I remember George Wardle's family was one of them. Many of the family members are documented on LDS. Let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks. Mary

Private User
20/6/2011 в 8:05 до полудня

Randy, I have entered a family with info from Family Search. To late for pioneers, 1859 - 1882. Are you entering AFN numbers in the profiles? If so, where?
Mary Hymas

Private User
20/6/2011 в 10:58 до полудня

Eldon, FWIW, when I'm entering people "on the fly", I throw it into the cause of death field because I rarely have that info when first creating a person's profile and it's accessible from the original entry form.

Later, when I'm adding more info to a profile and find that entry, I move it to the "Notes" section in the "About Me". Personally, I think it's always best to preserve as much info as possible - it might really help the next person who comes along!

20/6/2011 в 12:54 после полудня

My opinion...(others may differ).. I wouldn't bother to use AFN numbers.

For others reading this discussion I'm assuming that Eldon is referring to Ancestral File Numbers which were reference numbers used as an indexing tracking item for entries in the Family History Library in Salt Lake. They had a large database called IGI for several years that used AFN. This has been supplanted by a new system currently called new.familysearch.org. While there may be some benefit of using new.familysearch's individual index numbers I don't see any reason why AFN in geni would be really helpful to anyone anymore. Also, for those interested, new.familysearch has not to my knowledge yet had a release available to the general public although they did apparently grant some general public login accounts a few months ago for testing purposes.

1/7/2011 в 7:43 до полудня

If your a descendant of William Draper, Jr. I could use your help:)

He's tied into lots of private profiles resulting in large amounts of duplication. For example gen.com has hims with over NINETY children.

If this family is ever going to be cleaned up on the site then the numerous individual managers of these profiles will need to make all of the children and spouses public instead of private so that they can be cleaned up and documentation added.

To change profiles from private to public watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiU0nZiuyYY

Private User
1/7/2011 в 3:29 после полудня

Well i just ran him and he is my 8th cousin 6 times removed so I will be finding what I can on him along with my hubby's family.According to my profile he has fifty kids.He got around!!haha

1/7/2011 в 4:21 после полудня

Well with "only" 40 children that means that we have about 50 that are duplicates to clean up :(

If someone has an accurate list of all of William Draper, Jr. spouses and children it would be most helpful.

Private User
1/7/2011 в 7:24 после полудня

Randy, I wish I could help but I'm only his eleventh cousin five times removed - a relationship so distant there might as well not be one. However, I'm available for grunt work on this project when the necessary sources/documentation is found - please LMK and I'll be glad to help with clean-up! ;)

Private User
2/7/2011 в 6:43 до полудня

Randy, I have tried to contact some of the managers and am waiting responses. With that many private profiles a lot of which fall in the Geni privacy range this may be almost impossible to solve but I will try to help. I am in Iowa for a few months so don't have my resources handy but who knows. I did request merges on some of the spouses this morning. Once again not knowing who is a regular Geni user and one who has an abandoned tree will not make things any easier.
BTW the area I am in is on the pioneer trail to Council Bluffs / Winter Quarters. I think the cemetery I can see from here was originally a LDS cemetery.

2/7/2011 в 8:16 до полудня

Yesterday I posted a request here for an accurate list of William Draper's spouses and children. Rather than wait for a response I've started to compile my own based on secondary sources (unfortunately without much documentation). I've put the info that I've found in the "about" section of Draper's profile. The list of wives is shaping up but the list of children is missing over half of them but I'll continue to add to the list as I find info.

6/7/2011 в 7:41 после полудня

We just passed the 4,000 profile to the collective Mormon Pioneer projects:)

Private User
6/7/2011 в 8:07 после полудня

How exciting! Wow, we made that jump from 3,000 to 4,000 really quickly, didn't we? ;)

So... we only have 72,000 to go? /grin

Private User
6/7/2011 в 8:30 после полудня

I am in Iowa for about a month. About 50 miles from Florence, Nebraska (Winter Quarters) and the Mormon Cemeteries. If I can help anyone with info from there, let me know.

24/7/2011 в 5:48 до полудня

Today on July 24th it marks the 164th anniversary of arrival of the 1st group of Mormon Pioneers that made the 1,000 mile trek across the US to arrive in Salt Lake City, UT. Over the next 20 years 70,000 more would follow on that same journey.

For everyone following the Mormon Pioneer project on geni.com goes out a big "Happy Pioneer Day" to all of you!

http://www.geni.com/projects/Mormon-Pioneers-1847-1868-Master-Project

Показаны сообщения с 31 по 60 из 79.

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении