Started by Private on Saturday, May 14, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts
Private
5/14/2011 at 8:33 PM

November 15, 2004

Captain Thomas J. Lee is one of the most researched of the Lees of Virginia, East Tennessee Lee heirs often wish to find a family tie with the Great Lee Family of Virginia. As result some zealous early 20th Century researchers placed erroneous information in circulation. A lady from Alabama, Mrs. Boyle placed fake Bible records in certain genealogical publications in Virginia claiming that Capt. Lee was the son of Richard and Judith Steptoe Lee then spread the information, "far and wide". Based on the information spread by Mrs. Boyle Wm F. Franke made and distributed a family chart showing how Capt. Thomas J. Lee was the son of Richard Lee, grandson of Hancock Lee and so on. In a letter written to Mrs. Kate Lee on February 21, 1955 Wm F. Franke recanted the chart stating that, "the information given me by others...was proved to be wrong".
In addition their is a stone in the Lee Valley Cemetery a small factory made marble stone of the type that was usually placed on a child’s grave in the 1920's era. It states, "Lee, M.A. d. 12 Nov 1774 age 47 yrs 9 mos 27 days wife of T. G. Lee," this stone is intended to represent the grave of Mary Agnes Lee the wife of Thomas Greenbury Lee." I believe this stone to be fake. It was placed in the cemetery for the purpose of discrediting the true heritage of Capt. Thomas J. Lee. With this stone the perpetrators could claim that some of the information recorded in Hawkins County belonged to Thomas Greenberry Lee, therefore the two Thomas Lee's of Hawkins County often gets crossed. In addition the offenders could claim all the information in Johnston County belongs to Thomas Greenbury Lee, because Capt. Thomas J. Lee was from Virginia. All this trickery is absurd and was done in order to try and discredit the true heritage of Capt. Thomas J. Lee. What heir would place a stone on a persons grave approximately 150 years after her death. I say this because there were no factory made stones in Western North Carolina in 1774 only field stones placed in the ground indicating a burial took place at that spot. Captain Thomas Lee's grave and others in the Lee Valley Cemetery are marked with a simple field stone. In addition there is no other recorded information in Washington County TN nor in the North Carolina Archives to prove that Thomas Greenbury Lee was ever in Washington County, North Carolina when in it 1796 became the State Of Tennessee. It is my intend for this article to help spread the true heritage of Captain Thomas J. Lee.
Captain Thomas J. Lee is a Revolutionary War Veteran and the son of John Lee, Esq. and Mary Bryan they lived in Nansemond County Virginia at the time of Thomas's birth. Nansemond County Virginia later became Bertie and Edgcombe Counties North Carolina, John Lee, Esq. removed to Craven County North Carolina which later became a part of Johnston County North Carolina. John Lee, Esq. was living on the south side of Virginia in 1728 when the line between Virginia and North Carolina was run this line put part of his plantation in Virginia and part of it in North Carolina. This action established the colonial boundary between VA & NC. John Lee, Esq. died Dec. 4, 1768 in Johnston County NC his will is located in the, "NC Historical Commission-file C.R. 56.091-Johnston County NC wills-originals, Vol 2-pg. 95".
Captain Thomas J. Lee was born December 3, 1729 in Nansemond County Virginia and died July 2, 1816 in Hawkins County Tennessee. Capt. Lee left a Nuncupative Will that is recorded in the Hawkins County records at the Hawkins County TN court house. He is buried in the Lee Valley Cemetery near Rogersville, TN in Hawkins County. There is a field stone and marble marker provided by the U. S. government celebrating his Revolutionary War military service. Captain Lee, "was a Lieutenant in Company No. 2 Johnston County NC Militia with Nathan Williams as Captain". Thomas Lee, "took part in the battle of the Alamance 1771 in the campaign against the British Regulars". Captain Lees military record is recorded in the Johnston County NC court minutes, "CR56-0093 page 32 original page 237 October 1776 show that Thomas was made a Captain of Militia in Johnston County and was still at that appointment November 29, 1779".
Capt. Thomas J. Lee was first married to Mary (Smith) and by her had the following children: 1. Edith m William Gregory, 2. Eleanor m Joseph Long, d. Jefferson CO TN, 3. Thomas J. Lee, Jr. m 1st Unknown Unknown, 2nd Mary Bacon, d.
Hawkins CO TN,
4. Micajah m 1st Sarah Osborne, 2nd Sarah Smith, 3rd unknown,
d. Marshall CO AL,
5. Nicholas died young,
Capt. Thomas J. Lee's Second marriage was to the widow Mary Bryan Raines wife of John Raines and by her had the following children: 1. Needham m Susan Bailey, d. Shelby CO AL, 2. Zilpha m 1st John Bailey, 2nd Thomas Bailey, d. Shelby CO AL, 3. John m Frances Lane, d. Maury CO TN, 4. Winifred m William Bailey, Sr., d. Shelby CO AL, 5. Mary m Jones C. Griffin, d. Shelby CO AL, 6. William m Susannah Pangle, d. McMinn CO TN, 7. Edward m Sarah Tinsley, d. Hawkins CO TN,
It is not proven who the first wife of Capt. Thomas Lee was we do know that her given name was Mary. Mr. Wm F. Franke the long time Capt. Thomas J. Lee family researcher believed that Capt. Lee first married a Smith because, "the children’s names seemed to be Smith names," Franke also suspected that he (Thomas Lee) followed Col. John Smith into the wilderness of Western North Carolina. Captain Thomas J. Lee's second wife the widow Mary Bryan Raines is proven. On May 23, 1823 a bill of Revivor was filed in Chancery Court of Hawkins County Tennessee at Rogersville in this bill each of her seven children by Capt. Thomas J. Lee were named.
Mr. William F. Franke is out of the Needham Lee line of the Capt. Thomas Lee family, Needham married Susan Bailey then moved to Shelby County AL just south of Birmingham. Most of the comprehensive research on Capt. Thomas J. Lee and his family was done by Mr. Wm F. Franke during the first half of the 20th century in conjunction with Mr. Prentess Price a noted genealogist from Rogersville, TN. The research material is in the form of letters written to Mr. Price by Mr. Franke along with many other letters from people seeking Lee information. The letters were given to the Stamps Library in Rogersville by the Prentess Price family, copies of the letters made their way into the Lawson McGee Library, McClung Historical Collection in Knoxville, TN. It is unfortunate that family of Mr. Wm F. Franke has chosen not to make his research available to the Lee family researcher. The author Tommy P. Wilson is out of the Thomas J. Lee, Jr. line and living in Knoxville, TN. My mother who is in the line Thelma Ruth White Wilson was born near Bulls Gap Hawkins CO TN.
My research has been garnered from the materials available in the Stamps Library the Lawson McGee Library, the Hawkins County Historical Society and Mr. Pat Gilley the oldest known living hair from the Thomas J. Lee, Jr. line Pat is 90 and living on his 100 ac farm near St. Clair, Hawkins CO TN. The farm is located within a plantation that was originally owned by Thomas J. Lee, Jr.
There are many records on Capt. Thomas Lee and his family in the Hawkins County Court House in Rogersville, TN and in Eastern North Carolina and Johnston County. Capt. Thomas J. Lee first appears in Washington County NC later Hawkins County TN in The Thomas Aim's Account Book, 1782-1789 pg. 148, "Lee Thomas (Capt) 1783 28".
Captain Thomas J. Lee was not born at Ditchley, Northumberland CO VA and is not the son of Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe Lee. In turn he is not out of the Richard Lee line of Dividing Creek, Northumberland CO VA, Capt. Thomas J. Lee and his father John Lee, Esq. may be from the Great Lee Family of Virgina, remember Thomas was born in the County of Nansemound Virginia which at the time was part of Tidewater Virginia. The Lee family has for centuries been well intrenched all through the Tidewater and Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia. Thomas J. Lee did not see service with John Sevier and the Overmountain men in the Revolutionary War Battle of Kings Mountain.

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Capt:Thomas:J:Lee.html

5/14/2011 at 11:10 PM

http://www.geni.com/projects/Lees-of-Virginia

Carol - thank you for providing such a detailed analysis and supporting data. I'm linking this discussion to the project on the Lees of Virginia so that those working on the profiles of Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe are aware of this discussion thread.

What I read mentioned that there were 7 children, only 5 of which were documented in primary sources from the family - Kendall, Mary, Elizabeth, Judith, and a fifth (Anne?). I did see early sources discussing Thomas citing the will you mention and later sources mentioning another possible son, Stephen.

5/17/2011 at 6:31 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer and Carol:

Captain Thomas LEE (RS-NC) was listed in the DAR Patriot Index (edition of
1968) with wives, Mary GRIFFIN and Mary BRYAN. What is odd is that the wife
of Captain Thomas LEE (RS-NC) with the most documentation is Mary (Ingram)
RAINS, his surviving wife. In these documents it is shown that both Mary
(Ingram) RAINS and Thomas LEE had children by former marriages. It is
possible that Thomas LEE was married more than twice, but evidence as to
earlier spouses' names is not proved. DAR Patriot Index (most recent
edition) has been modified to show that Captain Thomas LEE (RS-NC) married
Mary (Ingram) Rains. I do not know the basis for the modification of the DAR
entry.

The confusion over the linkage of Captain Thomas LEE (RS-NC) to the LEEs of
Virginia is that there is another claim to his ancestry. The claim by Will
Franke is that Captain Thomas LEE was the son of John LEE (Esq.). John d.
after 1766 (will date) Johnston Co., NC. The record is clear that John
(Esq.) had a son, Thomas, who was an heir in John's will. The property
Thomas inherited is connected to a Thomas LEE of Hawkins Co., TN. It is
here that the identity of Thomas LEE becomes vague.

Records show that there were two contemporanious Thomas LEEs in Hawkins Co.,
TN. Allegedly, one was in Carter's Valley and the other in Lee's Valley.
One assertion is that Thomas LEE, son of John (Esq), was Thomas Greenberry
LEE, Sr. who was different from Captain Thomas LEE (RS-NC).
The asserted, but unproved, aspects are:

1. Thomas LEE m. Mary Griffin = Captain Thomas LEE (RS) of NC/Hawkins Co., TN
2. Captain Thomas LEE (RS-NC) of Hawkins Co., TN = s/o Richard and Judith
(Steptoe) LEE of Ditchley Hall.
3. Thomas LEE, s/o John LEE (Esq), of Hawkins Co., TN = Thomas Greenberry
LEE, Sr.
4. Thomas LEE, s/o John LEE (Esq), of Hawkins Co., TN = Captain Thomas LEE
(RS) of NC/Hawkins Co., TN

We need a clearer picture of the differences between these Thomas LEEs.

What is clear is that one of the Thomases was the son of John LEE (Esq). In
all the transactions regarding the estate of John LEE (Esq.) by Thomas LEE,
the title, Captain, is used once. So, as there are two Thomas LEEs, further
identity is needed. It seems that Thomas LEE had considerable financial
interests in Johnston Co., NC and corresponded with Shadrack INGRAM in NC
about collecting money owed Thomas. Because of the language of one letter
between the two men it is apparent that there was a interfamily connection
via LEE-INGRAM (Thomas LEE-Cader LEE (cousin) -Shadrack INGRAM
(cousin)-BALLINGER (Lee sister)). The cited letter does not identify the
property or the debtors. In the final analysis this letter ties Thomas LEE
to NC, but not necessarily the land of John LEE (Esq) or the marriage to Mrs.
Mary (Ingram) Rains.

Approaching the identity problem from another angle. Thomas, son of John LEE
(Esq) of Johnston Co., NC, is asserted to be Thomas Greenberry LEE, Sr. who
married a first cousin, Mary Agnes, d/o Richard and Mary (Grisham) LEE, of
Buckingham Co., VA . There is reportedly a Hawkins Co., TN tomb stone on the
grave of Mary Agnes LEE which states she is the wife of T. G. LEE. The
alleged cousin relationship is that John LEE (Esq.) and Richard Hemry LEE (m.
Mary Grisham) were brothers. So much of this is unsupported that no
conclusion can be drawn. The only evidence is the tomb stone which I am told
is of modern quality and appears to be a replacement.

The strongest case that Captain Thomas LEE (RS-NC) was the son of John LEE
(Esq.) was done by Will Franke who did a remarkable job of collecting
relevant evidence. However, this work is challenged on the grounds that some
of the evidence presented is of a different Thomas LEE.

An aspect that I have not seen discussed is the Thomas whose father, John (3
ii), was a son of Richard and Mary (Young) LEE of Buckingham Co., VA could be
the Thomas who married his first cousin, Mary Agnes LEE, d/o Richard Henry (3
i) and Mary (Grisham) LEE. Richard Henry was a son of Richard and Mary
(Young) LEE of Buckingham Co., VA

The claims are that these LEEs of Northumberland Co., VA went to Buckingham
Co., VA and Johnston Co., NC and then on to Hawkins County, TN
Until some additional evidence is presented that supports any of these
assertions or disproves one or more, no progress can be expected

To get a clearer picture read the book "Threads of Gold" by Myrtie Lee Powers - also I will retrieve DAR citings on this line.

5/17/2011 at 6:35 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer and Carol - the problem I am having is that the Thomas from Richard and Judith for this profile William Lee in my line was merged into the Captain Thomas Lee or John Esq. line. There are 2 Thomas's - when this merge occurred, his info was lost.

5/17/2011 at 7:01 PM

Is this a recent merge? I haven't done anything here for a week or more.

I'm totally confused but I'll go back and read the whole thread again.

5/17/2011 at 7:04 PM

Because of this merge - now looking at Hancock - Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe are missing? What happened?

5/17/2011 at 7:11 PM

I don't know.

5/17/2011 at 7:11 PM

This Capt. Thomas Lee WAS NOT married to Mary Agnes Lee, but he has been attached.

5/17/2011 at 7:12 PM
5/17/2011 at 7:15 PM

It looks like Capt Thomas Lee has two correct wives and two incorrect wives. I can Geni divorce the incorrect wives but can you tell me who they should be attached to?

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle
Private User
5/17/2011 at 7:33 PM

I merged the 2 Capt. Thomas Lees because the 2 profiles were identical, including information in the About Me section which I tried to clean up. I put him with the parents I felt were correct- I added notes and a link for more information, which would explain why I did what I did. I can find nothing that says Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe had a son named Thomas.
Yes, I am aware there are 2 extra wives. I spent time trying to figure out if I could merge 2 of them together, but didn't feel comfortable doing that- they're similar, but I don't know if they're a close enough match. After spending quite a bit of time on it, I decided to move on, work on other profiles, and come back to Thomas later.

5/17/2011 at 7:44 PM

Mary Agnes Lee was married to the Thomas of the ditchley line - Captain Thomas Lee (confusing because they both served in RW) the one Carol is talking about was married to Mary Bryan and Mary Ingram Rains

Mary Agnes Lee was married to Thomas Lee born 3 Dec 1739 as follows:

"According to the Lee Chonicle, much controversy and research has been put
into dispelling the belief that Capt Thomas is a son of Richard (and Judith Steptoe Lee).
Accordingly, two other children (the remaining 2 of the 7) have been
determined, as well. Only 5 children (Kendall, Elizabeth, Mary, Judith and
Lettice) were mentioned in his will but the administrative records of his
estate show that he had 2 additional children. The research of 2
genealogists in 1929 turned up Anne, who married Edward Kerr and settled
in Isle of Wight County, Va as one of the 2 missing children. The other
child was later determined to be a Stephen Lee of Kentucky who was
researched extensively by Cazenove Lee in the 1920's. Cazenove put this
belief aside when word came from an Alabama lady who claimed Capt Thomas
Lee of Lee Valley, TN, a Revolutionary Soldier, was the son of Richard
Lee. According to her, the Bible record read, "Thomas Lee, son of Richard
Lee and Judith Steptoe Lee, was born at Ditchley, Northumberland Co, VA,
December 3, 1739."

He is the father of the profile William Lee

5/17/2011 at 7:46 PM

That is why I had placed the message on that Thomas's profile before it was edited again as follows - so the info in the profiles were not exactly the same

compare Timestamp Author Summary
5/17/2011 at 7:32 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data...
5/17/2011 at 7:32 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data... Restore
5/17/2011 at 7:32 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data... Restore
5/17/2011 at 7:30 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data... Restore
5/17/2011 at 7:23 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data... Restore
5/17/2011 at 5:54 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data... Restore
5/17/2011 at 5:33 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data... Restore
5/17/2011 at 5:10 Tammy Swingle (Tucker) Some researchers have incorrect data... Restore
4/21/2011 at 12:44 Jacqueli Charlene Finley Some Managers have incorrect data inp... Restore
4/15/2011 at 14:23 Jacqueli Charlene Finley Some Managers have incorrect data inp... Restore

* Next »

1-10 of 15 revisions

5/17/2011 at 7:47 PM

next page:

compare Timestamp Author Summary
4/15/2011 at 7:52 Jacqueli Charlene Finley 1759-1780 Thomas appears in Johnston... Restore
4/1/2011 at 15:04 Carol Hooper Childs 1759-1780 Thomas appears in Johnston... Restore
3/31/2011 at 21:42 Ms. K. 1759-1780 Thomas appears in Johnston... Restore
12/8/2010 at 15:00 1759-1780 Thomas appears in Johnston... Restore
12/4/2009 at 15:10 1759-1780 Thomas appears in Johnston... Restore

* « Previous

11-15 of 15 revisions

5/17/2011 at 7:48 PM

I had tagged him as being confused with this Thomas and to PLEASE see me before editing.

What happened to Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe and the Ditchley line?

Private User
5/17/2011 at 7:48 PM

Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe can't be missing. I didn't do anything to them. They were both there all afternoon.

Private User
5/17/2011 at 7:54 PM

I just checked again, and they're still there. I did not take any info out of the About Me section that wasn't a duplicate of other information that resulted from the merge. And there was no note note to merge- I never merge profiles that have notes like that.

I won't touch Capt. Thomas Lee again, or Richard Lee or Judith Steptoe. Promise!

5/17/2011 at 7:55 PM

And about Carol's article above, this is what it reads now:

ome > Capt Thomas J Lee

A request has been made on Wikipedia for this article to be deleted .
This request is being discussed to form a consensus whether this is, or could be, an article appropriate for Wikipedia . Please see this page's entry on the votes for deletion page for details. Also see possible outlets for removed articles . If you feel deletion is not justified by Wikipedia deletion policy you may vote against its deletion. Please do not remove this notice or blank this page while the question is being considered. However, you are welcome to continue editing this article and improve it, especially if you can address the concerns of those who believe the article should be deleted.

This article needs cleanup.
This article needs to be edited to conform to a higher standard of article quality. After the article has been cleaned up, you may remove this message. For help, see How to Edit a Page and the style and How-to Directory . (add new)

November 15, 2004

Captain Thomas J. Lee is one of the most researched of the Lees of Virginia, East Tennessee Lee hairs often wish to find a family tie with the Great Lee Family of Virginia. As result some zealous early 20th Century researchers placed eroneous information in circulation. A lady from Alabama, Mrs. Boyle placed fake Bible records in certain genealogical publications in Virginia claiming that Capt. Lee was the son of Richard and Judith Steptoe Lee then spread the information, "far and wide". Based on the information spread by Mrs. Boyle Wm F. Franke made and distributed a family chart showing how Capt. Thomas J. Lee was the son of Richard Lee, grandson of Hancock Lee and so on. In a letter written to Mrs. Kate Lee on February 21, 1955 Wm F. Franke recanted the chart stating that, "the information given me by others...was proved to be wrong".

In addition their is a stone in the Lee Valley Cemetery a small factory made marble stone of the type that was usually placed on a childs grave in the 1920's era. It states, "Lee, M.A. d. 12 Nov 1774 age 47 yrs 9 mos 27 days wife of T. G. Lee," this stone is intended to represent the grave of Mary Agnes Lee the wife of Thomas Greenbury Lee." I believe this stone to be fake. It was placed in the cemetery for the purpose of discrediting the true heritage of Capt. Thomas J. Lee. With this stone the perpetrators could claim that some of the information recorded in Hawkins County belonged to Thomas Greenberry Lee, therefore the two Thomas Lee's of Hawkins County often gets crossed. In addition the offenders could claim all the information in Johnston County belongs to Thomas Greenbury Lee, because Capt. Thomas J. Lee was from Virginia. All this trickery is absurd and was done in order to try and discredit the true heritage of Capt. Thomas J. Lee. What hair would place a stone on a persons grave approxamitely 150 years after her death. I say this because there were no factory made stones in Western North Carolinia in 1774 only field stones placed in the ground indicating a burial took place at that spot. Captain Thomas Lee's grave and others in the Lee Valley Cemetery are marked with a simple field stone. In addition their is no other recorded information in Washington County TN nor in the North Carolina Arcives to prove that Thomas Greenbury Lee was ever in Washington County, North Carolina when in it 1796 became the State Of Tennessee. It is my intend for this artical to help spread the true heritage of Captain Thomas J. Lee.

Captain Thomas J. Lee is a Revolutionary War Veteran and the son of John Lee, Esq. and Mary Bryan they lived in Nansemound County Virginia at the time of Thomas's birth. Nansemound County Virginia later became Bertie and Edgcombe Counties North Carolina, John Lee, Esq. removed to Craven County North Carolina which later became a part of Johnston County North Carolina. John Lee, Esq. was living on the south side of Virginia in 1728 when the line between Virginia and North Carolina was run this line put part of his plantation in Virginia and part of it in North Carolina. This action established the colonial boundry between VA & NC. John Lee, Esq. died Dec. 4, 1768 in Johnston County NC his will is located in the, "NC Historical Commission-file C.R. 56.091-Johnston County NC wills-originals, vol 2-pg. 95".

Captain Thomas J. Lee was born December 3, 1729 in Nansemound County Virginia and died July 2, 1816 in Hawkins County Tennessee. Capt. Lee left a Nuncupative Will that is recorded in the Hawkins County records at the Hawkins County TN court house. He is buried in the Lee Valley Cemetery near Rogersville, TN in Hawkins County. There is a field stone and marble marker provided by the U. S. government celebrating his Revolutionary War military service. Captain Lee, "was a Lieutenant in Company No. 2 Johnston County NC Militia with Nathan Williams as Captain". Thomas Lee, "took part in the battle of the Alamance 1771 in the campaign aginst the British Regulars". Captain Lees military record is recorded in the Johnston County NC court minutes, "CR56-0093 page 32 original page 237 October 1776 show that Thomas was made a Captain of Malitia in Johnston County and was still at that appointment November 29, 1779".

Capt. Thomas J. Lee was first married to Mary (Smith) and by her had the following children: 1. Edith m William Gregory, 2. Eleanor m Joseph Long, d. Jefferson CO TN, 3. Thomas J. Lee, Jr. m 1st Unknown Unknown, 2nd Mary Bacon, d.
Hawkins CO TN,

4. Micajah m 1st Sarah Osborne, 2nd Sarah Smith, 3rd unknown,
d. Marshall CO AL,

5. Nicholas died young,

Capt. Thomas J. Lee's Second marrage was to the widow Mary Bryan Raines wife of John Raines and by her had the following children: 1. Needham m Susan Bailey, d. Shelby CO AL, 2. Zilpha m 1st John Bailey, 2nd Thomas Bailey, d. Shelby CO AL, 3. John m Frances Lane, d. Maury CO TN, 4. Winifred m William Bailey, Sr., d. Shelby CO AL, 5. Mary m Jones C. Griffin, d. Shelby CO AL, 6. William m Susannah Pangle, d. McMinn CO TN, 7. Edward m Sarah Tinsley, d. Hawkins CO TN,

It is not proven who the first wife of Capt. Thomas Lee was we do know that her given name was Mary. Mr. Wm F. Franke the long time Capt. Thomas J. Lee family researcher believed that Capt. Lee first married a Smith because, "the childrens names seemed to be Smith names," Franke also suspected that he (Thomas Lee) followed Col. John Smith into the wilderness of Western North Carolina. Captain Thomas J. Lee's second wife the widow Mary Bryan Raines is proven. On May 23, 1823 a bill of Revivor was filed in Chancery Court of Hawkins County Tennessee at Rogersville in this bill each of her seven children by Capt. Thomas J. Lee were named.

Mr. William F. Franke is out of the Needham Lee line of the Capt. Thomas Lee family, Needham married Susan Bailey then moved to Shelby County AL just south of Birmingham. Most of the conprehensive research on Capt. Thomas J. Lee and his family was done by Mr. Wm F. Franke during the first half of the 20th century in conjunction with Mr. Prentess Price a noted genealogest from Rogersville, TN. The research material is in the form of letters written to Mr. Price by Mr. Franke along with many other letters from people seeking Lee information. The letters were given to the Stamps Library in Rogersville by the Prentess Price family, copies of the letters made their way into the Lawson McGee Library, McClung Historical Collection in Knoxville, TN. It is unfortunate that family of Mr. Wm F. Franke has chosen not to make his research available to the Lee family researcher. The author Tommy P. Wilson is out of the Thomas J. Lee, Jr. line and living in Knoxville, TN. My mother who is in the line Thelma Ruth White Wilson was born near Bulls Gap Hawkins CO TN.

My research has been garnered from the materials available in the Stamps Library the Lawson McGee Library, the Hawkins County Historical Society and Mr. Pat Gilley the oldest known living hair from the Thomas J. Lee, Jr. line Pat is 90 and living on his 100 ac farm near St. Clair, Hawkins CO TN. The farm is located within a plantation that was originally owned by Thomas J. Lee, Jr.

There are many records on Capt. Thomas Lee and his family in the Hawkins County Court House in Rogersville, TN and in Eastern North Carolina and Johnston County. Capt. Thomas J. Lee first appears in Washington County NC later Hawkins County TN in The Thomas Aim's Account Book, 1782-1789 pg. 148, "Lee Thomas (Capt) 1783 28".

Captain Thomas J. Lee was not born at Ditchly, Northumberland CO VA and is not the son of Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe Lee. In turn he is not out of the Richard Lee line of Dividing Creek, Northumberland CO VA, Capt. Thomas J. Lee and his father John Lee, Esq. may be from the Great Lee Family of Virgina, remember Thomas was born in the County of Nansemound Virginia which at the time was part of Tidewater Virginia. The Lee family has for centuries been well intrenched all through the Tidewater and Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia. Thomas J. Lee did not see service with John Sevier and the Overmountain men in the Revolutionary War Battle of Kings Mountain.

5/17/2011 at 8:01 PM

Here also info on Thomas of Ditchley:

"Mary Lee, wife of Thomas
Lee of Ditchley, our beloved daughter, died December 8, 1758." Samuel
Griffin Bible record (VA Historical Society and Archives Div., VA State
Library).

This bible record is not to be confused with the controversial
Needham Lee, Jr. Bible

5/17/2011 at 8:04 PM

This Thomas also died in South Carolina.

5/17/2011 at 8:13 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer The problem is the reference of Edmund Jennings Lee that you are reading and using as a reference is outdated - here is ONE of the lost children of the Ditchley line

THE LOST CHILD OF RICHARD LEE OF DITCHLEY
Re: Lucy Lee who married Baldwin Matthews Smith
By Mrs. Merillat Moses*

One problem which has confused genealogists for almost half a century is the question of the progeny of Richard Lee of "Ditchley," Northumberland County, Virginia. Mr. Cazanove Lee, late Historian and Genealogist of the Society of the Lees of Virginia, was most concerned with this matter and earnestly attempted to find the seventh, and last, child of Richard Lee. In a letter dated December 22, 19401, Mr. Lee discussed this problem and wrote, "This has left an open door for future trouble-makers, and they have been legion." However, despite many claimants for this place on the Lee Family Tree, the identity of the "lost child" was not discovered during his lifetime.
In 1952, the Society of the Lees of Virginia, whose lineage is based upon descent from Richard the Immigrant, grandfather of Richard of Ditchley, accepted, on exceedingly thin evidence, one Stephen Lee, as the seventh child. After much personal research on this subject, it is the objective of this paper to prove the impossibility of Stephen Lee being the seventh and to show that this child was in fact a daughter, specifically one Lucy Lee.
This problem of identity arose from the fact that Richard Lee died at an early age (about forty-four years); and, having married rather late in life for those days (about twenty-nine years of age), he left a family of minor children under the care of his wife, Judith Lee.
Mrs. Judith Lee has been accepted as the daughter of John Steptoe and his wife Elizabeth Eustace2, widow of John eustace of Northumberland County3 whose will was recorded in that county on April 15, 1702; hence, Judith (Steptoe) Lee must have been born after that time.
Richard Lee was undoubtedly an outstanding young man. When he was only twenty-three years of age, he was a Justice - and first of the "Quorum" in 1714; so that he must have been commissioned for several years previous to that date. His exact birthdate is given in his father's Will, as August 18, 1691.4 Also, he was Clerk of the Court of Northumberland County from 1716 to 1735.5 He was a
-2-
respected and active civil servant, acting in the established pattern of the Lee Family. He was the eldest surviving child of Hancock Lee by his first wife, Mary Kendall of Northhampton County, and he had the care and supervision of several younger brothers and sisters by his father's second marriage to Sarah Allerton.
Now the date of Richard Lee's death usually has been believed to be 1740, as stated in Lee of Virginia, on page 534. However, there was at one time a Will (since lost) of Richard Lee; for it was presented in court by William Eustace, Gent., one of the executors, on May 21, 1735,6 five years prior to 1740. Thomas Gaskins, who married dau. Ann c 1768, Thomas Waddy, Thomas Winter and Roger Winter, or any three of them were appointed to appraise the estate. At the same court session an "Account of Richard Lee for building a warehouse at Indian Creek" was read and allowed. It would, therefore, seem apparent that his death was sudden and unexpected.
However, Mr. William Eustace died7 before he could complete the settlement of the estate of Richard Lee, and next we find Mrs. Judith Lee, on June 9th, 1740, "Appointed for administration of the estate of Richard Lee, deceased (not yet administered by William Eustace, deceased) who was executor under the Will."8 Additional proof of Mr. William Eustace acting as Richard Lee's Executor is to be found in the Northumberland County Records, September 11, 1738, i.e., "200 Acres from William Eustace, Executor of Richard Lee, to Francis Timberlake (land described as being part of tract Christopher Carlington, deceased, sold to Hancock Lee, Gent., deceased, and which was devised to his son Richard Lee, deceased)."9
Also in the records there is listed an "Inventory of Estate of Richard Lee, deceased, Mrs. Judith Lee, Administratrix." It includes, "A large estate. 19 Negroes, 2 servants, Table Linen, Pewter, Bedding, Furniture, China, 72 Head of Cattle, 65 Sheep, 15 Calves, 60 Hogs, 2 Mares, 2 Horses, etc." This inventory is dated July 14, 1740, just two months before the first division of the estate.10
On September 8, 1740, Mrs. Judith Lee received one-third of the estate of her deceased husband, Richard Lee. It consisted of two-hundred ninety-nine pounds and six negroes. At the same time Major Peter Conway received his wife's share of "her father's estate." and the court record specifically states that it was
-3-
one-seventh of the remaining two-thirds of the estate.11 This is the first indication, and a rather firm one, that there were seven children left by Richard Lee of Ditchley, and that Major Conway married one of the daughters before September 1740. She was Elizabeth Lee and was probably the eldest of Richard Lee's children.12
Let us now briefly cover the other known children of Richard and Judith Lee.
In December, 1741, another division of the estate of Richard Lee occurs, when there is paid "to Mr. Charles Lee, his wife's filial part of her father's estate."13 This daughter is Mary Lee, and we find the marriage listed in a compilation of License Fees of Northumberland County which is published in the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, volume 47, page 41, reading, "Charles Lee and Mary Lee - 1741."
Another daughter was Judith Lee14 who was known to have married one David Galloway, Senior, a Scots merchant of Northumberland County.
Then, of course, there is not doubt about another daughter, Lettice Lee, who married Colonel James Ball, Jr.; for her tombstone at St. Mary's White Chapel, Lancaster County, is thus inscribed: "In memory of Lettice Lee, 3rd wife if Colonel James Ball, daughter of Richard Lee of Ditchley. "Died the 17th of November, 1811, in the 80th year of her age." According to Lee of Virginia she was married about 1753.
A fifth daughter Anne Lee, was married to George Kerr, also a Scots merchant who was closely associated with David Galloway who married her sister Judith Lee, before November 11, 1751; for on that date "Subscribers met and possessed George Kerr with his wife's filial part of her father's estate (Richard Lee)."15
Kendall Lee, heir to all of Richard Lee's lands, claimed his inheritance on December 11, 1740.16 He was most likely twenty-one years of age at this date, making him born about 1728. One of the Commissioners who possessed him of his estate was Baldwin Matthews Smith. Kendall Lee was married on July 9, 1749 to Betty Heale, daughter of Priscilla Chinn. Thomas Edwards, Jr., was security.17
-4-
Before proceeding to Lucy Lee, let me first disprove and dispose of Stephen Lee.
The proponents of Stephen Lee being the seventh child readily admit that said Stephen Lee emigrated from Prince William County, Virginia, to Kentucky, where he died. There is proof of this fact. In the Kentucky Genealogist, Volume 2,
(1734-1803)
pages 7 and 92, are listed "Claims filed in Public Record Office, London, England" which deal with the information about American colonists who dealt with loyalist merchants prior to the American Revolution. There is a Notation here as follows: "Stephen Lee of Prince William, debt due 1774 L.0.10.0. He removed to Kentucky ten years ago; the(n) solvent. Enquire of Colin Campbell. Page 243."18
Stephen Lee had removed to Kentucky in 1789, taking several of his sons and daughters with him. He had resided in Prince William County, Virginia, for about thirty of forty years prior to going to Kentucky, and he and four of his sons appear in the Census Record (Tax List) for Prince William County for the period covering 1782-1787. There is no doubt as to the fact that Stephen Lee who wrote his Will in Mason County, kentucky, which was proved on June 20, 179119 was the Stephen Lee of Prince William County, Virginia.
The first appearance of Stephen Lee in Virginia is when he voted for Thomas Ludwell Lee in Stafford County in 1755-56.20 Next we find him buying land in Fairfax County from Robert Carter on October 16, 1755.21 Also, he purchased 204 Acres of land from Thomas Harrison on March 5, 1776.22 I cite these transactions to point out that Stephen Lee did not live on inherited land, as he would have had he been a scion of the Ditchley family, but that he came to Virginia and bought his land.
The tombstone of Stephen Lee, located at "Leewood", near Maysville, Kentucky, has an inscription giving his date of death as 1791 and his age as either 81 or 84, depending upon the interpretation of the second figure (the first figure "8" being very clear).23 This death date is also attested by the proving of his Will in 1791. This would make Stephen Lee born around 1710 - much too earley to be the son of Richard of Ditchley. Accordingly, he would have been a man of about forty-five years when his record first appears in Prince William County. Where was he prior to 1755?
-5-
There is positive proof as to his whereabouts. His daughter Priscilla Lee married William Botts of Stafford County, Virginia. This gentleman wrote in his Prayer Book - "William Botts and Priscilla Lee were married November ye 9th 1769." His daughter, Elizabeth (Botts) Shackleford made another entry in the Prayer Book concerning her father: "married Miss Priscilla Lee of Prince Georges County, Maryland." This definitely indicates that Stephen Lee's daughter, Priscilla, was born in Prince Georges County, Maryland. Her sister, Lucy Lee, married Moses Bridwell in Stafford County in 1758.24 Another daughter, Nancy, married a Mountjoy of Stafford County, and a forth daughter, Ann, remained single. This would indicate that the daughters removed with Stephen Lee from Prince Georges County, maryland, to Prince William County, Virginia.
Thus, we see Stephen Lee living in Prince Georges County, Maryland, at least at the time of the birth of his daughters. It is possible to pick up the threads of his life there as early as 1740,25 when he was first bonded as an adult, and carry them forward for another seven years, but that, and the matter of his actual parentage does not properly belong in this paper. They are, however, under current research. The point is that Stephen Lee never inherited land in Virginia and was never identified with the two counties wherein the Richard Lee of Ditchley family lived, Namely, Northumberland and Lancaster Counties, Virginia.
This position is further strengthened by the fact that Kendall Lee requested, in November, 1766 and "Act of the Assembly to dock the entail of certain lands whereof Kendall Lee is seized, and for settling other lands and slaves to the same use."26 This land comprised 2,050 Acres in Northampton County, Virginia; 50 Acres in Northumberland County; and 904 Acres in Northumberland County, and 235 Acres in Loudoun County. It was all of the land which had been willed to Kendall Lee by his father, Richard Lee. No other land remained for another son. It is highly unlikely that Richard Lee would have neglected to provide for another younger, minor son. Also, Kendall Lee was born about 1728; a younger brother (if existing) could not possibly have been old enough to have appeared in the records of Prince Georges County, maryland, at the date upon which the said Stephen Lee was bonded in 1740. His age is definitely too old to have been a son of Richard Lee of Ditchley. And thus I rest the case of Stephen Lee.
-6-
Add to the above facts the most unusual fact that Stephen Lee did not give one of his sons a name traditional in the Lee of Westmoreland Family. His sons were named Lewis, Stephen, Jr., Edward, Henry, and Peter. Not a Richard, John, Fran(k), Thomas, William or Philip appear in the lot! Thus I rest the case of Stephen Lee. I believe that I have disposed of the possibility of Stephen Lee being a son of Richard Lee of Ditchley, and the seventh child of that gentleman.
Let me pass on to my candidate, Lucy Lee, for the place of last and seventh child of Richard and Judith Lee of Ditchley!
After Richard Lee died in 1735 his widow remained in that status until 1749, when she undertook a "Marriage Agreement with one Samuel Peachey, Gent.". dated February 16, 1749/40(50).27 This document was proved by "Jno. Leland, Kendall Lee and Lucy Lee, witnesses." Captain Samuel Peachey came of an outstanding family of Richmond County and had previously been the husband of Winifred Griffin, who was the mother of all his children except one, Elizabeth, she being the product of his first marriage to Katherine McCarty, daughter of Captain Daniel McCarty (Westmoreland Deeds and Wills, No. 7, folios 256-261, dated November 9, 1721). In "Richmond County Marriages (1668-1852)" by Mr. George N.S. King, published in 1964, the author gives some corrections concerning the various marriages of Captain Samuel Peachey, going on to state on page 144 of his book that Captain Samuel Peachey married thirdly "Judith Lee, widow of Richard Lee, Gent. (1691-1735) of Northumberland County, both of whom died testate there, but only the Will of Mrs. Peachey remains on record." Mr. King gives the nearest death date for Captain Peachey as October 2, 1750.
Now I wish to call attention to the Marriage Agreement of Judith Lee and Captain Samuel Peachey of 1749. The two witnesses of this document with whom we are most concerned were her son Kendall Lee, with whom she was undoubtedly living, and one Lucy Lee. Now the Lees were extraordinarily fond of having their own family members as witnesses to family documents. Add to this, the fact that Lucy Lee, as an unmarried daughter, would be at home with her mother. This first appearance of a Lucy Lee, with Judith Lee's son Kendall, makes one wonder, as this was a most personal document.
-7-
Then again, the Will of Judith Peachey, dated December 17, 1754 and proved on February 10, 1755, is of great interest. "Debts to be paid. Rest of estate to be equally divided between children. Mr. Samuel Blackwell and my son Kendall, Ex. Witnesses: Betty Conway, Kendall Lee, Lucy Smith and Ann Kerr." Of these four witnesses, three have been proven to be children of Judith Lee Peachey. It is my conclusion that she would not have called upon a fourth person, who was not a member of the family, to witness such a personal document as her last Will, in as much as she already had three witnesses who were her children. It is my belief that this Lucy Smith is the same person who witnesses her mother's Marriage Agreement to Captain Samuel Peachey as "Lucy Lee." In the space if time between 1749 and 1754, she had married a Smith. She is undoubtedly the seventh and last child.
At this point it should be stated that all this controversy over the "lost child" would not probably have arisen, if there were not a "gap" in the marriage records of the county of Northumberland. These marriage records are published in volume 47 of the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, page 41, as a compilation of the "Clerk's Fees for Licenses Issued." I have personally examined these Fee Books for the period involved and find there is, in truth, a gap from "Joseph Blackwell and Lucy Steptoe, January 1745" to the next entry of "Henry Berry and Winifred Haynie, March, 1756." This gap includes the dates of marriage of several of Richard Lee's daughters, including the marriage of Lucy Lee, which occurred between 1749 and 1755.
I have found still another case of Lucy Lee appearing, with members of her Lee family, in the records of Northumberland County. In the Will of Cuthbert Spann,29
proved November 12, 1753, one finds: "to my friend Mr. Peter Conway", and the witnesses to the codicil dated May 26, 1750 are Abraham *ivision, Anne Lee, Lucy Lee, and Edwin Conway. The Spanns and the Conways and the Lees were neighbors and friends, often inter-marrying. Mr. Peter Conway was the husband of the sister (Elizabeth) of Anne and Lucy Lee. At this date, 1750, both Anne and Lucy Lee were unmarried.
Additional research leads me to conclude that Lucy Lee married Baldwin Matthews Smith, son of Philip Smith of "Fleet's Bay", Northumberland County. This Smith family,
-8-
both Philip the father and Baldwin Matthews the son, were closely associated with both Richard and Kendall Lee, servining together as securities, commissioners, etc. There is no record of the marriage of Lucy Lee to Baldwin Matthews Smith, as the date of said marriage would fall within the period of Clerk's License Fees for which there is no record. However, in searching for the marriage in surrounding counties, I found the marriage of "William Montague and Lucy Smith, relict of Baldwin Smith. Sec. Jas. Selden. Witnesses Hugh Walker, John Montague. "dated the eleventh of December, 1772.
This Baldwin Matthews Smith did not leave a Will, but there is listed an Administration of Estate for him on page 272 of Section of Northumberland Order Book for 1758-1762. The estate was administered by John Smith, his son, and the date is June 8, 1761. Also, in Abstracts of Lancaster County, Virginia Wills (1653-1800) by Ida J. Lee, on page 203 of same one notes the name of Baldwin Matthews Smith. "Division of Negroes" is recorded January 20, 1764. This names "to Mrs. Lucy Smith, widow," "Colonel John Lee for Mary and Frances' part". "Mrs. Smith for Judith and Mildred's part." "Mr. George Heale for Burgess' part", and Mr. John Smith for Philip Smith's part."31 It is believed that Baldwin Mathews Smith and his wife, Lucy, were living in Lancaster County at the time of his death. Their home was "Smithfield", formerly Menaskin, owned by David Fox and called the "River Plantation."
I would like to digress a little at this point to give a resume of the Smith Family. Baldwin Matthews Smith was the son of Philip Smith, as previously stated. The latter was the son of Captain John Smith of Purton who married Mary Matthews on February 9, 1711. She was the daughter of Baldwin Matthews, Justice of the Peace for York County, and great-grandson to Govenor Samuel Matthews. Baldwin Matthews Smith first married Fanny Burgess32 daughter of Charles Burgess and had sons John, Philip and Burgess, and possibly Edward.33
Then, in 1775, under Baldwin Matthews Smith, in Lancaster County, one finds another division of negroes, dated November 16, 1775 and recorded December 21, 1775, "to the Rev. John Leland, Jr., in right of his wife (Judith Smith) and Mildred Smith,
-9-
orphans of Baldwin Matthews Smith, by Thomas B. Griffin, Richard Ball, James W. Ball."34 The Rev. John Leland, Jr., married, on October 19, 1775, Judith Smith, daughter of Baldwin Matthews Smith and his wife Lucy.35 His father, John Leland, had been an executer to the Will of Judith (Lee) Peachey, together with her son, Kendall. The Will of John Leland, Jr.,36 was recorded in Lancaster County on June 15, 1799, and names wife Judith; sons John Lee Leland, Leroy Peachey Leland, and Baldwin Leland. The eldest son carried his grandmother's maiden name.
The other Smith orphan, Mildred, married LeRoy Peachey of Richmond County, and is said to have left no issue. This relationship is verified in a Deed written in 1785 in Lancaster County.37
Now Lucy Lee and her husband Baldwin Matthews Smith were living in Lancaster County at the time of his death. She obviously continued to reside there. She marr(ied) Captain William Montague in Lancaster County on December 11, 1772.38 The securities and witnesses were James Selden, Hugh Walker, and John Montague, and she was described as "Lucy Smith, widow." She had only one child by William Montague. William. The Will of Captain William Montague was recorded October 21, 1794.39 It names wife Lucy; sons Thomas (Dragon Plantation), William and John; daughters Hannah and Frances Montague (by his first marriage); "Daughter-in-law Judith Leland and Mildred Smith, sister of son William Montague;" "Godson Baldwin Matthews Leland." Ex.: Dr. William Ball, John Montague. Wits: John Leland.
There is a fine genealogy of the Montague Family entitled. "Montague Genealogy" (Peter of Nansemond andLancaster Counties, Virginia) by C.W. Montague, 1894. It has a resume of Captain William Montague, son of William, born about 1728, who married first Hannah Ballendine of Lancaster and second widow mary Lucy Smith, "whose maiden name was Lucy Lee, descendants say she was a relative of Light Horse Harry Lee." He goes on to say that one of her descendants has a "Memorial Ring" with the letters "L.M." upon the side of which is engraved "died March 30, 1806, aged about 71 years." This would make Lucy Lee Smith Montague born in 1735, the last year of her father's life; undoubtedly she was his seventh and last child!

5/17/2011 at 8:17 PM

I'm sorry Jacqueli. I still don't know what you're talking about. Your posts are way too long for me to read late at night and I've had a very tiring week. Lots of stressors. I couldn't help you with any issues to save my life tonight.

I am not working on the Lee, Legh, or Leigh trees and haven't for a week or more, so I'm not sure why you are addressing these comments to me.

5/17/2011 at 8:23 PM

But obviously more research since this article shows yet one more - Thomas

"According to the Lee Chonicle, much controversy and research has been put
into dispelling the belief that Capt Thomas is a son of Richard (and Judith Steptoe Lee).
Accordingly, two other children (the remaining 2 of the 7) have been
determined, as well. Only 5 children (Kendall, Elizabeth, Mary, Judith and
Lettice) were mentioned in his will but the administrative records of his
estate show that he had 2 additional children. The research of 2
genealogists in 1929 turned up Anne, who married Edward Kerr and settled
in Isle of Wight County, Va as one of the 2 missing children. The other
child was later determined to be a Stephen Lee of Kentucky who was
researched extensively by Cazenove Lee in the 1920's. Cazenove put this
belief aside when word came from an Alabama lady who claimed Capt Thomas
Lee of Lee Valley, TN, a Revolutionary Soldier, was the son of Richard
Lee. According to her, the Bible record read, "Thomas Lee, son of Richard
Lee and Judith Steptoe Lee, was born at Ditchley, Northumberland Co, VA,
December 3, 1739."

5/17/2011 at 8:48 PM

Judith Lee

Here's Judith, right where she was.

5/17/2011 at 8:48 PM

Richard Lee, of Ditchley

Here's her husband who appears to have one more child than she does...

5/17/2011 at 9:08 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer

Found the BAD merge:

April 1, 2011 at 12:58 AM Capt. Thomas Lee's profile was updated by Ms. K.. nicknames view
March 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM Capt. Thomas Lee's profile was updated by Ms. K.. middle name view
March 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM Capt. Thomas Lee's profile was updated by Ms. K.. maiden name view
March 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM Thomas Lea Leigh Lee was merged into Capt. Thomas Lee by Ms. K..

5/17/2011 at 9:15 PM

We found them earlier - I sent you a message suggesting how to fix - then I will clean up the mess - :)

ie., divorce Mary Agnes from Carol's Cap. Thomas and take Carol's Capt. Thomas off as a parent for William Lee

And I will re-create Thomas Leigh and reconnect the line

5/17/2011 at 9:23 PM

Carol - no one could have known that Ms. K merged the two Thomas's and re-edited the profiles

5/17/2011 at 9:30 PM

Agnes Lee

Here's Mary Agnes Geni divorced from Capt Thomas.

Now I'll detach William Lee from Capt. Thomas and post his link again.

You all should figure out the other wives.

5/17/2011 at 9:32 PM

William Lee

Here's Sir Thomas William Leigh (Lee) detached from Capt Thomas. That's all I did but I thought I saw two other wives before I detached him from Capt Thomas but now he has only one wife.

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion