Biblical name convention

Started by Yaacov Glezer on Monday, May 16, 2011
Showing all 6 posts
5/16/2011 at 7:59 AM

Many of the names in bible are in the form XXX son of YYY
The currant naming convention is to write . (dot) in the middle name and family name
there are several names that belong to different people (Korah, Menashe
and more)
If we use the "son of XXX" as family name, and could make sure that it's not copied to spouse or children, maybe it will make tree merges more clear?

5/16/2011 at 9:22 AM

The best argument against changing the convention is that it takes us a step backwards to do so.

The next best is that the tree shows the father, so "son of" is redundant

The last objection I can conjure is that one may still us the "display name as" option at will. So Koah, son of XXX, could appear in the tree, while the current protocol is observed.

5/16/2011 at 10:15 AM

agree with the last two - please explain the first

5/16/2011 at 3:25 PM

Yaacov,
the vast majority of Biblical profiles follow the (.) convention for last names and maiden names (middle name left blank). There are SOME such profiles in the main tree and many more in semi-merged copies (those in the main tree were recently done by a friend who got a bit carried away with a misunderstanding).

What William means in the first reason, is that thousands of profiles already use the (.) convention, so if we change the convention, we need to also redo all of those profiles...

IMO, the WORST problem with the "son of" notation is that it is specific to English / Hebrew, instead of having NO "text" in the name except the name itself.

William,
I only use the "display name" field in extremely rare cases, such as Kings or people with very specific and obvious titles. In ALL other cases I remove it. Always. Luckily a recent change to the profile page, lets us see BOTH the Display name and the name as entered, so it is MUCH easier finding these differences.

5/16/2011 at 8:18 PM

10x

5/17/2011 at 9:53 AM

Yes; I should have clarified that "step backwards", but Shmuel explained it better than I.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion