Need help with merge on Cherry Family

Started by Private User on Friday, May 20, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 26 posts
Private User
5/20/2011 at 1:48 PM

Need help merging some public profiles on a tree I want to merge with my own (once the other is cleaned up). and Sophi Singleton are sisters in this tree and are the same person.

The owner of this tree appears to help uploaded it in January 2009 and has not logged on since. It's a very useful tree, if a bit sloppy, so I would prefer to clean it up and incorporate it, but the owner ahsn't responded to requests that I made long ago.

Private User
5/20/2011 at 2:43 PM

Scott; the owner of this tree was last online on October 2010
also there are a lot of private profiles in the area you wish to merge so there not much we can do about it

:-)

Private User
5/20/2011 at 2:49 PM

It says the owner is Private User and that he was last online March 8, 2009 (I was wrong about January). Who is the owner that you're seeing was online October 2010?

Private User
5/20/2011 at 2:56 PM

unless there another twin that is hiding this is what I see on this profile of Joseph

Added by: Started family tree January 19, 2009
Joined On: January 19, 2009

:-)

Private User
5/20/2011 at 2:58 PM

Michael Stangel

perhap you can explain more

Thanks

5/20/2011 at 3:16 PM

Curators can see the date of last login, so they have the information necessary to report abandoned trees to Customer Service. March 8th is the date that Mr. Davis added both (!) of those profiles. Given the slight variance in spelling of both the first and middle names, I'm guessing he was trying to preserve both, the with possibility that they might be different people (twins??).

Private User
5/21/2011 at 5:07 AM

So do I need to just wait until he responds to one of my collaboration or merge requests? It's a shame because his tree adds a lot to mine, even if the data is a bit sloppy.

5/21/2011 at 7:22 AM

I am interested in this discussion. When do you determine that trees have been abandoned and what exactly do you do about abandoned trees? I have a lot of merge requests that are just hanging out there. Can anything be done to get information merged without tree Owner's approval?

5/21/2011 at 12:47 PM

Curators can merge public profiles, so until you get into the private tree you don't necessarily need the help of the (inactive) manager.

When a profile is reported as an abandoned tree, Customer Service can run a task (if the person has not logged on for 9 months) that reassigns management to a nearby relative, if one is available.

Private User
5/21/2011 at 1:21 PM

I can only see that Mr. Davis joined on Jan 19, 2009.

Up until several months I could see when he & everyone else was last online .

Why can't I see this information anymore but others can ?

Private User
5/21/2011 at 1:26 PM

Ann, this is a major gripe of mine. There is no reason that this information is now reserved for curators. The have enough to do without wasting their time reporting abandoned trees. Maybe Michael Stangel and/or curators can give a reasonable explanation why it has to be this way.

5/21/2011 at 1:29 PM

Because if you were my stalker ex-husband I likely wouldn't want you to be able to glean any information about me, even times that I am regularly on the computer.

[Disclaimer: I don't actually have a stalker ex-husband. But I assure you we have users who do!]

Private User
5/21/2011 at 1:34 PM

So, a curator can't be a stalker?

Private User
5/21/2011 at 1:37 PM

Mike, with that reasoning you better do away with the activity tab on all profiles.

5/21/2011 at 1:57 PM

Eldon the activity tab has "private" and "public" stories... if I remove someone (ex-spouse) from my family group, that person will only see activity stories on content in the public space (adding/editing public profiles, contributing to public discussions, projects, etc.). It's possible to be in Geni and work in your private tree without generating any public activity stories.

5/21/2011 at 2:13 PM

I think that hiding the information about "last login" doesn't stand with Geni's target of one big tree.
how can we merge if we don't know if the other manger is active or not.
I believe that if a user joins the big tree, he should agree to expose this data.

Private User
5/21/2011 at 2:32 PM

Yacov I agree with you 100%. What I am doing now is looking at the activity tab if possible. If no activity is shown, I report as abandoned. If this makes more work for the Geni staff, so be it. They have asked for it as far as i am concerned If there is no other option, i will say the merge is no good.

Private User
5/21/2011 at 3:33 PM

Regarding privacy, if you manage a "public" profile, I feel like you've given up at least a small measure of privacy (intentionally or not). It's not like I want to see this guy's status for its own sake, just in relation to a public profile I want to merge.

Regarding this specific example, I see that Eldon has greased the skids, so thank you there!

Private User
5/21/2011 at 4:53 PM

Scott, He has 13 collaborators, some of them collaborate with me. I hope we helped some.

5/21/2011 at 8:52 PM

Keep in mind that you don't need this guy's help to merge those public profiles! Just post 'em over on the "ATTENTION Curators, please assist" discussion: http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793 and they can merge those profiles.

5/21/2011 at 9:07 PM

Do we need curator for every delayed merge?
How long will it be until curators will be exausted?

Private User
6/10/2011 at 10:48 AM

Private User,
Private User has 16 users in his family group. Have you asked some of them to help you merge private profiles in the tree? One of his sisters was last online 2 days ago -
Patricia Vyolet Albano.

6/10/2011 at 1:30 PM

Liivi, the info about "last online" is one of the important things that non-curators need for the merges. we need to bring this info back to the public. maybe you can post it on curator discussions and then appeal to Geni them to bring it back

Private User
6/13/2011 at 3:29 AM

Last Online - colour coded time frame
http://help.geni.com/entries/20192616-last-online-colour-coded-time...

Previously all users could see last login date. Currently it is shown for collaborators and curators. A user may want to be able to show their last login (to all user or just to family members) but are unable to - even when they want to - without collaborating first.
When other users and potential collaborators (or your stalker or your boss!) view your profile, they don't really need to know the exact date of your last login - a time frame would do.
How about a colour coded Last Online? For example:
Red - more than 9 months ago - feel free to report as an abandoned tree.
Orange - within 1-9 months - send your requests but don't hold your breath.
Green - less than a month ago - a possible Geni-addict ;-)

Private User
6/13/2011 at 8:27 AM

Livi, this is just over complicating things. If a profile is private, how is a last online date going to help a stalker? The only ones it is going to help are the ones who are potential collaborators. It seem to me that there is a whole lot of paranoia going on here.

Private User
6/14/2011 at 12:41 AM

I have Cherry's on my half-brother's family.

Anyone have any information on James Cherry born Feb. 5, 1827 in Ohio, died 1899 in Illinois? He was married to Eunice Terry and also her sister Cornelia Terry. I already have the kids, but I'm looking for the parents of James Cherry. I'm dead-ended on him, and would like to build up his tree.

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion