How do you start a new Family Tree which you arent connected to, using the same profile

Started by Jethro on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Participants:

• Jethro
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 9 posts
Jethro
5/28/2011 at 2:02 AM

As in how do I begin a New Family Tree which Isnt joined to my own, using my own account, and if it cannot be done, can it be suggested to the creators to make it happen?

5/28/2011 at 2:13 AM

It can be done easily (I'm not sure that Geni loves it but it works...)
add the first profile as your son and the disconnect him from you - this way you have a "stand alone" profile.
make sure you intend to maintain the other tree and not just "add and forget"
this is much better than faking a new user

Private User
5/28/2011 at 2:16 AM

Since you are a Pro user you just add the starter profile anywhere in your tree, bookmark it and cut it loose in the Edit Profile, Relationships tab.

Jethro
5/28/2011 at 3:15 AM

Okay thanks :)

5/28/2011 at 6:28 AM

Bjørn, is it really open only to Pro users? I thought that approach worked for everyone, but you'd obviously know better than I would.

Private User
5/28/2011 at 11:31 AM

Bjørn, to bookmark a profile do you click on "Follow" or do something else? Thanks. Wendy

5/28/2011 at 12:09 PM

Apparently I was wrong...it's refusing to let me cut a relationship using a free account. Interesting. It shows me the message "Warning: Removing these connections will split the tree" and then won't let me proceed. Tried it in Firefox and IE with no luck. Oh well. :)

Private User
5/28/2011 at 12:31 PM

Private User - bookmarking is a feature in the browser you are using, and the suggestion is just a reminder for your self where that tree is because there is no option in Geni to bookmark profiles anymore or display unconnected managed profiles.

If you have added the profile yourself you are by default following it, unless you have removed following, but to avoid the extra step to enter the name to search for it a bookmark in your browser is probably best.

Private User
5/28/2011 at 1:11 PM

Thanks, I will see if I can do that. Wendy

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion