Profiles of recently deceased

Started by Richard (Rick) Simon on Monday, May 30, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 6 posts
5/30/2011 at 12:23 PM

I now have 2 family members who have died within the last year and both had control over their own iles. I have raised this question SEVERAL times and no seems able (or willing) to provide any assistance.

How do I get control of the profile inorder to make the necessary corrections AND additions to the individual ????

Someone PLEASE help asap !!!!!

RGS

Private User
5/30/2011 at 12:42 PM

Rick

Commiserations on your losses. May you experience only happy events in future.

I think only Geni staff can help with this. There is a reporting feature on each profile. You can also email Geni help / create a help ticket / request. The Geni staff are few in number for many users, so it can take a long time to get response. As a PRO you should get priority.

Possibly a Geni staff member could chime in here and offer to help directly. That would deliver the speediest outcome.

Private User
5/30/2011 at 12:54 PM

You cannot do it in that order unless you know the person's password - then you can go in as them, and make yourself a manager/the manager
as well as close account - with reason being "Deceased". I think this would result in you being in control.

Otherwise, you first have to have Geni mark them "Deceased" - then
if you are the one who originally added the profile and the closest relative with a claimed profile, this should result in your gaining control of the profile. Otherwise, I do not know for sure who control goes to - have read it goes to nearest relative with claimed profile.

To have claimed profile marked "Deceased" and no longer claimed and opened for editing: 1] In the past, one sent a message to help@geni.com telling them who died, along with the e-mail address they used on geni, and they took care of it. I did it several times this way, including date they died, relation to me and I forget if I gave any other info. For all I know, it may still work. But 2] Now the procedure (or another procedure?) is -- go to the Profile, click on "Actions" button [to right of blue 'Follow' button, towards upper right of profile] - choose "Report" - then click on arrow to get drop-down menu of choices for reason for Report, choose "Deceased". I suggest putting some comment in the Comment box. Perhaps including the date they died. Feel free to ask for control of the profile - but I do not think there is any guarantee it will be honored.

Private User
5/30/2011 at 12:58 PM

I see David Prins was answering as I was composing my answer. I include a few bits he didn't mention. But most is duplicate. Sorry for the duplication. And sorry for your loss, Rick.

5/30/2011 at 12:59 PM

If you can see their profile - that is, if you are in their family group - you can click on Actions on the top right hand corner and it will have an option Report this profile. Click on that and it will give you a pull-down menu that includes Report Deceased which is what you want. I believe that there is also a place to put guidance in a message window too. Ask to be made the manager. I think they follow a certain process and give it to the relative who is most active however. I believe that they should give it to a child or sibling if they are on Geni or to whoever added it. But if they give it to another relative, you can then email them to have them change it or maybe you can then edit it yourself if you are in the family group. That is what I did.

I just did this Rick and Geni did give over management of the deceased person's profile to another relative, so that they could edit it. They did not mark it deceased, which they should have, and I looked into that so hopefully the process is fixed now. It may take a week or two.

If you do not have access to the profile, click on Geni help at the bottom of the page and tell them what the issue is.

We cannot see private profiles which these undoubtedly are, or we would help.

I am sorry for the loss of your relatives. May their memories be a comfort to you.

Private User
6/1/2011 at 8:48 PM

This is how Geni-Help explains. Probably many folks don't think to look there. But even when they do, the explanation seems to me to be somewhat lacking.
http://help.geni.com/entries/499442-how-can-i-update-the-profile-fo...

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion