Why can my cousin see my profile and those I added, but not vice versa?

Started by Private User on Monday, May 30, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 18 posts
Private User
5/30/2011 at 1:17 PM

On Saturday, a relative completed a merge I had been leaving hanging, connecting our tree to that of someone I believe is a 3rd cousin. I saw it on Saturday, at which time I could see the profiles of everyone in that family, plus everyone they had added.

My Family setting was and is set at 4th cousins, so this made sense.

Sunday, and today, when looking at Tree, everyone in this family (except ones I am co-manager of) now appears as white box with first initial, last name. Geni said she updated her profile, etc. on Sunday (before I looked on Sunday). She says she was not on geni on Sunday, but possibly a visiting relative may have done stuff, using her computer and to geni thru her e-mail. She says she sees my profile fine, and can see the tree for all those I added, etc.

Anyone know or have suggestions as to why this has happened? Anyone have suggestions as to how to fix it?

Private User
5/30/2011 at 4:52 PM

Hatte Blejer - do you have any ideas on the above? What would cause me to be unable to view my 3rd Cousin's profile and those of her family with claimed profiles, plus not able to see profiles they added, but still allow her to see my profile and those I added?

Geni says she is my 3rd Cousin, so it finds the relationship. On the other hand, for her, her children, her sibling,etc. - all with claimed profiles - under Actions - it includes "Add to Family Group" -- but 1) wouldn't they each separately have to have dropped me from Family Group (mine is still set at 4th cousins; she is sure some definitely were not on to do so)? and 2) why can she still see me - isn't belonging to a Family Group reciprocal?

Any suggestions anyone can give will be appreciated!

5/30/2011 at 5:36 PM

Private User - I read this and was puzzled. I would think that somehow the profiles you are looking at are NOT in your family group, that somehow the two trees didn't get fully merged yet.

This is one for the longtime curators. Make sure that you are also collaborating with her, in case some of the profiles ARE not in the family group for some reason. Then complete all the merges.

I'll alert some people more experienced than I am :)

Private User
5/30/2011 at 8:16 PM

Private User

Can you link me to the closest public profile in that tree? I'm not sure if this is a Geni bug or if your cousin merging in a private profile with a public one set them both to private? What do you both agree on?

Also I suggest you open a Help case. My thought would be if you're in the same family group you'd both have edit rights and show as co managers, but I (for obvious reasons as a curator I think!) am just not that familiar with private profiles / living persons / family groups.

The help link is the bottom of every geni page.

Private User
5/30/2011 at 10:15 PM

Don't know if it's the same issue as this but I think there is a bug. There are some profiles in my family group that I can't see - I have sent Mike Stangel a message re this.

Private User
5/30/2011 at 10:59 PM

Hatte Blejer - Much thanks for responding and your suggestions. I am going to hold off on more merges till this gets fixed.

@Erica - thanks also -- any Profiles I am managing I have as, or have now changed to Private. We are definitely talking Private, so I guess not Curator area of expertise.

@David - let me know what you hear from Mike Stangel. And I would be interested in any other details of your problem that you are willing to share, to compare them.

Does anybody know what would happen/how things would look if she blocked me? Or blocked me, then unblocked? Apparently someone else may have been using her e-mail, and geni thru it (so Geni counts as being her, but she doesn't know what was done). She can see me and my added profiles, and my cousin says he can still see hers fine. So wondering if this might be a possibility.

5/30/2011 at 11:39 PM

I do think that if she blocked you, you could not see her tree.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 12:21 PM

Michael Stangel - do you have any ideas on above? Either what the problem is, how I go about discovering what the problem is, and/or how it can be fixed?

Is there info I could send you directly in a Message that would help?

Private User
5/31/2011 at 12:35 PM

To make it more interesting - Geni sent me a message about a birthday coming up for one of the folks in that family with a claimed profile, and when I clicked on the name in that message - took me to the claimed profile, where at the top it said she was my 3rd cousin - but only showed me the geni-public profile - no timeline, no View Tree, does not show me her birthdate, only Public Guestbook, etc. So apparently Geni both thinks they are family and doesn't.

The relative who completed the merge - spouse of my 2nd cousin (3rd cousin to this family, same as me) says he can still see their profiles and tree just fine.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 2:19 PM

I think it is a sporadic bug.

I have several profiles at issue, in the one tree area, exhibiting some or all of the following:

1. Private profile in family group that I can't access and should be able to

2. Private profile managed by someone in my family group that I can't access and should be able to. Geni offers me to add that profile manager to my family group, but that shouldn't be necessary

3. Public profile in my family group that I can access read-only, but should also be able to edit.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 4:29 PM

From Geni re: Blocking a User -
"Prevent specific users from contacting you or performing actions on profiles you manage. Blocking a user also removes them from your family groups." -- does that mean, from Family Group of your spouse, siblings, children, and parents (as seems to have happened in my case)? Does Block do for all as just mentioned, but "Remove from Family Group" just from Family Group for you? Or?? Also - - "removes them from your family groups" -- that would be mutual, wouldn't it? Or ??

Wondering now if the problems David and I are having might perhaps be due to a Bug that is accidentally triggering a Block? Or due to someone logged in to a relative's account purposely (or accidentally) taking an action? Hopefully Mike or some other Geni-Team member will give some input.

5/31/2011 at 8:39 PM

I believe it's a bug related to undeleting profiles anywhere along the path between you and the person / people who are in that half-in / half-out state. We're working on a fix.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 9:12 PM

Thanks Mike. In my case, I am not aware of any "undeletes" in the area.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 9:39 PM

Mike - Also unaware of any such undeletes. Tho suppose it is possible. Sure hope it gets fixed. And soon. Please let us know when it gets fixed, so we can see if it fixed our problems. And much thanks, Mike.

Private User
6/1/2011 at 11:04 PM

Michael Stangel - As I mentioned, I am not aware of any undeletes. But - I did create pending merges with folks in this family with claimed profiles, then decided that was silly and instead deleted my copy - most probably without cancelling the pending merge - could that trigger this problem?

Also - if I click "Add to Family Group" for one or more folks in this Family will it (if they accept) 1) solve the problem, at least with regard to that person and profiles that person added or 2) make it harder for the geni-team to actually fix the problem or 3) create more problems or ?? Do you recommend I try it or wait or ??

6/2/2011 at 5:43 AM

Lois if you can wait another day or two that would be great -- we're looking at the specifics that David sent to me, and expect to have an explanation today. Can you send me (via Inbox message, if you prefer) one or two profiles in the family that you're having problems with?

Private User
6/2/2011 at 4:13 PM

I have now sent you an inbox message, probably with more profiles and info than you wanted, but also assumed info given above had been given, so tried not to repeat it. Will wait as you suggest.

6/3/2011 at 3:03 PM

Thanks, I believe we've identified the cause of the family group problems affecting both of you. It may take a week or so to get it fixed.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion