• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • unice unicelove
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
Private User
5/31/2011 at 1:16 AM

I undelete those profiles immediately and will not accept request to share management from that user ever again unless he/she follows up with a message telling why and I accept it. His/hers chance to become a collaborator is also reduced.

"request to share management" is however a great way to collaborate at profile level and I usually accept such requests. Accepting such a request will still keep you as the primary manager and you will be notified if something happens to that profile.

In general I always undelete profiles the get deleted without being asked first or if I see that it is an obvious profile to delete.

You find the list of deleted profiles in http://www.geni.com/list/deleted

Private User
5/31/2011 at 9:10 AM

Just add a new profile they don't have access to delete by being a co-manager.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 9:17 AM

If it becomes a problem just ask a curator like me to check.
We have the option to suspend users if they are vandalizing the tree.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 1:14 PM

How do I "request to share management" of a profile or profiiles? I have always sent or accepted requests to collaborate which as I understand it gives access to all of my profiles. And how is requesting or accepting a request to join or have someone join my family group differ from collaboration? Thanks. Wendy

Private User
5/31/2011 at 2:05 PM

You find an entry for that in the [Actions▼] menu in the top right corner of the profile.

Unfortunately the English text of this menu is wrong: "Request management of this profile", - is should be something like "Request to be a added as a manager of this profile", - they changed this action for a half year ago, but the text is not corrected yet. I think the text the manager get also is wrong. - Michael Stangel, can you add a ticket on this? - mine, #3449 did not get through.

Requesting and accepting collaboration is the best action yes, because it gives access to all public profiles of that manager (and vice versa), something that is needed of you are going to merge two lines.

If you just need edit access to your 14th great grandfather you can use the request management option (but don't use it too much because you might provoke the manager to block you).

Joining family group is needed for merging private profiles.

Private User
5/31/2011 at 2:09 PM

Folks in your Family Group can edit all the Private unclaimed Profiles you manage, Collaborators can edit all the Public Profiles you manage.

Near the upper right of a Profile, next to blue button saying 'Follow' is pull-down menu labelled "Actions". If it is a Profile you manage, one of the choices is "Add Manager". If it is not, one of the options is "Request Management of this Profile". (at least, this latter choice appears on a Profile in your Family Group/Private unclaimed that you can edit).

Now - a couple of questions I have --
1) at one point, if you clicked on "Request Management of this Profile", and it was accepted, Management was switched -- has this been fixed so instead you are just added as manager -- or to just be added, is it still necessary to send message to Manager asking him to choose "Add Manager" (with you as his choice), and then you accept that request?
2) If I am Primary Manager and want to switch Primary Management to someone else who is already a Manager, what do I do? If someone else is Primary Manager and I am a co-manager/another manager, but want to be Primary - what do I do? [one reason I want to know -- a recent set of merges just left me Primary Manager of my cousin's great-grandmother, and her as Primary Manager of my great-grandfather]

Private User
6/1/2011 at 12:40 AM

Only the current primary manager can change who is the primary manager either by using "Add Manager" in the [Actions▼] menu and tick off "☑ Make this person the primary manager." The primary manager can also remove him/herself as a manager by clicking the ⌧ after your name in the Managed By list. You will be asked who you want to be the primary manager and if you really want to relinquish management of the profile.

If you want to become the primary manager or a profile you have to send the primary manager a message and kindly ask him/her to make the above action.

Private User
6/1/2011 at 8:56 PM

Private User - Thanks so much!! I saw you answered my first question clearly while I was still composing (so it appears before my post). And now you have provided a clear answer on the 2nd question. Yay!

7/28/2011 at 10:00 AM

Mind if I add to this discussion? I am sole manager of a profile. Someone brought to my attention this profile and was wanting to add information to it. I tried to use the Add Manager to add them as a manager but it did not work because the search box can't find the user. If I try to add them anyway it generates error--resulting page displays in a red bar: "Cannot find manager."

It only seems to find people in my family tree. Profile in question is Peter Spears and I am trying to add a manager to this profile so this person can add information to it.

Is the Add Manager feature restricted to a certain subset of users?

7/28/2011 at 10:38 AM

It's not the feature so much as it is the search function. If you follow this person then try again I think you'll find that Geni will be able to find the user because you are following them.

Private User
7/28/2011 at 10:48 AM

Open that persons profile to add him to the recently viewed list, refresh (f5) the profile you wan to add him/her to and he/she will be on the short-list.

7/28/2011 at 10:54 AM

The other person can request to be made a manager and a message will be sent to the manager (you)

8/15/2011 at 12:15 PM

I went back and looked at who the other person was, that contacted me about Peter Spears, and it was a "P Ward". I tried looking their name up via search, so I could click their profile, thereby adding it to my recently viewed list as Bjorn suggested. But with new geni update in place, I can no longer view profiles searched for since I am not a pro user. :) Busted. Oh well! I tried writing P Ward back but he did not reply. I'd love to have some help managing this profile since it was one I inherited and I am sole manager, but apparently have no way to offer it without P Ward requesting it as Marvin suggested.

No big deal by me, but it will remain an un-looked-after profile since i have no information to add on this profile.

Message was:

I am contacting you about this profile: Margaret De Craefenriea

She was my 8th gr grandmother through father's maternal side (Rutledge) I have additional info for Henry C Speer and would like to know what ethnicity is De Craefenriea. Any info on Sides family would be appreciated.
Also invite you to check out my family tree at tribalpages.com screenname, paward.

Thank you,
P Ward

Private User
8/15/2011 at 12:38 PM

Bernard Assaf

I just sent you an add manager request as an experiment. The process seemed really easy to me. Maybe P. Ward is a casual geni user, doesn't check geni mail much.

8/16/2011 at 11:52 AM

Erica, your request was received and I accepted. Yes, agreed that this is an easy process. Hopefully P Ward will take me up on my offer for him to ask permission to co-manage so he can add details as he likes. I tried to tag your name in this reply but it wouldn't let me--I can't seem to search for your name with the @ symbol--another limitation since you are not a profile I manage? (sigh)

Private User
8/16/2011 at 12:17 PM

I just copy and paste from the browser bar, it's faster. Added a little info to the profile.

Private User
8/16/2011 at 1:08 PM

Bernard, the P. Ward that viewed the profile of Margaret De Craefenriea

was a she and haven't been online since the date she view it on 13 September 2010 (in fact; that is when she joined the site and haven't logged in since)

:-)

Private User
8/16/2011 at 2:12 PM

Bernard Assaf

Thank you letting me experiment with your inherited profiles. I found something neat:

Mary De La Noye is a Qualified Huguenot ancestor.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion