they make my head hurt

Hubert W Collins tarafında başlatıldı, tarih: 1 Haziran 2011, Çarşamba

Katılımcılar:

Bahsedilen Profiller:

Bütün mesajları (4) gösteriyor
1/6/2011 at 2:08 ÖS

they keep using the same names in different generations - and the Gentrys (i'm a Gentry descendant) keep marrying the Haggards . . . i keep getting my software's panties in a twist (so to speak . . . )! b

1/6/2011 at 5:13 ÖS

A bunch of us have the same problem in our families! We sympathize. I have taken to using descriptive phrases in the "display name" -- Capt John Johnson, Samuel "The Immigrant" Kent. The problem is keeping the different profiles and generations straight when names repeat and the same families keep marrying each other. Other people use dates to distinguish.

This is really bad when people go and merge two people from different generations together and mess up the tree! I clean up a branch and then find out there are some new merges.

Another common problem is that if a child died in infancy, the parents would name another child the same name. /And in some families they gave two children the same name who were both alive! So people merge different children together.

1/6/2011 at 6:03 ÖS

In addition to what Hatte said, there's also the "fun" of family traditions like using middle names instead of first names (the norm on my mother's father's side of the family...including me) or having nicknames that are seemingly unrelated to the actual name. I have a great-aunt-Catherine who went by Annie (which resulted in her showing up as one or the other on alternating Census sheets), and it took me seven years (seven!) to find my grandfather's birth certificate because he was a middle-namer and my mother and her siblings had no idea of that. Family trees are rarely tidy!

30/3/2013 at 9:44 ÖS

my ex-husband and his dad were both known by middle names . . . the dad's dad was known by the actual first name . . . as is my son . . . oh it's jolly for the people coming after us!
b

Bütün mesajları (4) gösteriyor

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion