• Maria Izadora
    Geni member
  • Jennylyn Anne
    Geni member
  • Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 31-52 of 52 posts
6/5/2011 at 4:55 PM

Mona it would probably be better if you were a Collaborator. Makes it look less like a "one man show".

Private User
6/5/2011 at 9:44 PM

She's now a collaborator, Shmuel. :)

We'll start looking for other Filipinos who might want to join the project.

6/6/2011 at 12:19 AM

Erica, we're glad that you're seeing the dividends of the "conference labor" and marketing efforts. It's hard for us to track those sorts of things with much accuracy, so the feedback from the front lines is valuable :)

Regarding the efforts for Geni Pilipinas, let me know how we can help. This week will be a busy week for us; Grant will be in town and we will have a strong showing at the SCGS Jamboree in Burbank, CA. It's more likely that we'll have some resources to dedicate to these efforts the following week. (I'll follow along throughout the week to see what kind of plans are being made.)

-George

PS. If any of you will be in town for Jamboree, please give us a heads up!

Private User
6/12/2011 at 9:06 PM

Private User

How about grabbing George Gearhardt and asking Geni to do an emailing, similar to the one for Israel?

I don't want to mention how much fun Schmuel had being "the kind of Spam." But it should be outlawed. :)

Private User
6/12/2011 at 9:08 PM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn) / (שמואל אהרן קם (קאן

I'm not sure if the text for your email should be adjusted for P.I., not to mention translated into English. But I suspect it's pretty good to go as is.

It would be fun to mention the Philipino-American Friendship Day, though.

Private User
6/12/2011 at 10:50 PM

Great minds think alike!

I was hoping to work with Mona on a Friendship Day tie-in. With her blog followings and the possibility to become Geni's Queen of Spam... The timing is perfect! :-)

6/14/2011 at 1:23 PM

Could someone provide the link to Mona's blog? I'd love to check it out!

Private User
6/14/2011 at 2:47 PM

Hi, George. You can find my personal genealogy site here: http://amingangkan.com (in English, "Our Family"). I also built another site for Filipino research tools and inspiration: http://angkangpilipino.com (in English, "The Filipino Family").

Private User
6/14/2011 at 3:28 PM

George Gearhart, here are links to both of Mona's blogs.

They both have a different focus. Be sure to look around to see the breadth of topics -- audiences reached, areas covered, aspects of geanealogy (DNA, historical biographies of a person/family, photo walls HT, research skills, networking, depth of names database, personal memories...), *and* the varied ways she directs readers *to* Geni!

http://angkangpilipino.com/
http://amingangkan.com/

I'm sure that Private User would be delighted to incorporate her blogs into a multi-platform Friendship Day outreach!

6/14/2011 at 7:24 PM

Thanks!

6/14/2011 at 7:25 PM

Mona, are both of these your blogs, or just blogs that you write for?

Private User
6/14/2011 at 8:59 PM

Hi, George. Both are mine. They started out as one. I split them up into two to keep the content structure clear. One is personal (family members have written some articles there) and the other, is geared towards helping other Filipino researchers with their work.

Private User
6/16/2011 at 9:23 AM

Sorry if you all have thought of this already --
Have you done a broadcast announcement of the project in a public discussion? Erica and I used to do this when projects were a new thing and we had to figure out how to get non-curators involved in them. It worked really, really well.

We also used it when we decided to spearhead a minority outreach. We created a few projects, did a couple of public announcements and asked Black Americans to take them over.

Private User
6/17/2011 at 6:51 PM

Hi Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn) / (שמואל אהרן קם (קאן. If I may ask, how did you select the recipients of the Israel email blast? Also, what desired action/s does the email prod the recipient to do?

6/19/2011 at 8:21 AM

Private User,
I myself did NOT select who to send the email to. Only Geni can do that, as it would involve checking the entire Database. I simply asked George Gearhart and Private User if it was possible to send such a message. I was actually expecting Geni to send it to a much smaller number of users (perhaps the 500 most recently active). Geni selected users who have their "Current Location" set to Israel (I just realized we probably missed many who wrote their Location in Hebrew).

The following is the English half of the message that I wrote. The Hebrew text said pretty much the same thing. Due to a misunderstanding, Geni sent each person only half of the messages, based on their interface-language selection. I think it would have been far more effective to send it in BOTH languages to everybody, to make it more "attention grabbing". Many people who would still use an English interface would prefer being talked to in their own language.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hag Atzamaut Sameach, [literally "Happy Independence Day"]
Did you know that Israel has the 4th largest user-group on Geni? There are even 3 Israeli Curators (of 80). You would never guess though, because we have no public “presence”. To change that, we Israeli Curators created a “gateway” project, to focus our community around. The community project has its own Discussion Area, mostly in Hebrew (but other languages are welcome).

We wish to use this “project” to help us all make the most out of the site, and have a lively community of users, new and old. So please come and join us. While you’re sitting around, with your family and friends, tell them about it too! As Geni nicely shows, we ARE all one big family.

http://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-Israel

Hag Atzamaut Sameach,
Yigal, Ofir and Shmuel-Aharon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you can see, the email did NOT really prod the recipient to do anything, except perhaps check out the project. I think being less pushy gives better results. Of course it would be a very good idea to have a meaningful project page in place, before sending the email. Geni Philippines does not yet have one. It would also be much more impressive if the project had more names involved so you might want to message people connected to "Families of the Philippines" and ask them to join, and get THEM to contact people they know.

Hope that helps,
Shmuel-Aharon

Private User
6/20/2011 at 4:01 AM

http://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-Philippines is basically now up and running. It just needs a little polishing and a few tweaks.

Will try some personal invitations.

6/20/2011 at 6:52 AM

LipLip,
looks very nice. Don't you want ANY text in Tagalog / Other?

Private User
6/20/2011 at 7:23 AM

Private User

The project is gorgeous, I just wish there were graphics available! Geni needs to get enhancing with that. :)

I personally find the resources section very helpful -- the links are listed out in an intuitive fashion. I'm going to use it for "new users" in "public discussions" if that's OK.

Next steps are to draft an email invite for Geni if you wanted to ask them to mail to Philippine Islands users -- if indeed they can target in that way? Not sure -- it was easier to do "hebrew language" users I imagine.

George Gearhart

Private User
6/20/2011 at 7:27 AM

Am I right to be reading that there's a Philippine American Friendship Day Parade in Jersey City on June 26?

http://www.philstar.com/funfare/Article.aspx?articleId=695949&p...

"za Calzado, Aljur Abrenica, Mark Bautista and Jennylyn Mercado will ride a fabulous float of GMA Pinoy TV (direct rival of The Filipino Channel) and greet Fil-Am fans during the Friendship Parade along West Side Avenue in Jersey City, the second biggest city in the state of New Jersey and where a huge number of Filipino households and business establishments are concentrated.

Sponsored by the Philippine American Friendship Committee, Inc. (PAFCOM), the Kapuso stars will join dignitaries led by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, Philippine Consul General Mario de Leon Jr., Philippine Ambassador to the United Nations Libran Cabactulan, as well as the event’s grand marshal Nena Lozada Kaufman and members of the Fil-Am community headed by PAFCOM overall chair Isagani Puertollano and officers of Friends Indeed USA, Inc. (the first Grand Parade Ambassador of Goodwill and Culture). "

Do we have Geni trees for any of these people?

Private User
6/22/2011 at 10:20 AM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn) / (שמואל אהרן קם (קאן

'looks very nice. Don't you want ANY text in Tagalog / Other?'
- i believe English would suffice.

Private User
6/22/2011 at 10:33 AM

Private User

You can use the resources section. :)

There is a Philippine - American Friendship Day Parade in Jersey City as featured by philstar.com on the June 26th.

With regards to the celebrities mentioned in the article, I searched at Geni 2 days ago, there's an Iza Calzado but the profile is private, a lot of Mark Bautistas, no Aljur and Jennylyn. I know Mark B cause we are from the same city. I used to watch him performed before he was a national celebrity. His former band mates are my friends. Will try to contact him if he can make his own profile at Geni. Might be good for publicity.

Private User
6/22/2011 at 2:50 PM

I am sure there will be celebrations all over that day. The chapters of the Filipino American National History Society are also having multiple events all throughout the month of July. The National President is Dr. Cordova (joan.may.cordova@post.harvard.edu).

Here are the public profiles of some of the names you mentioned:
Mark
Maria Izadora
Jennylyn Anne

Showing 31-52 of 52 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion