Relations to current and/or recent political figures (USA)

Started by Private User on Friday, June 3, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
6/3/2011 at 11:35 AM

There was a time when a cursory search for any possible relation to the U.S.President or recent former presidents showed a very traceable path to these figures. A simple 17th cousin or so through Obama's mother I believe was one of my relations and similar ties to the former Presidents' Bush etc..etc. Now, these entire searches are obfusated with "NO PATH" What is going on? Relations don't disappear, or do they? I am glad I printed some of them out before but it is ridiculous to have an ever changing relationship path. It started to act up when let's say, so and so is your 20th great grandfather through your mother, so you search the next male back and then the relation is locked to your father's ancestor's instead. THERE HAS to be a way to LOCK the line an relation. If #20 is your GGF, his father is #21, NOT so and so ex-husbands servants dog only on Wednesdays unless there is a full moon. I hope someone "Gets" my humor there as I am sure you have seen these completely moronic relations to a direct line GGF or GGM situation. My problem now is the NO PATH? What the heck is that? People erasing history?

Private User
6/3/2011 at 12:06 PM

Depends on how close you are related.
Only Pro members can find distant relationship paths.

Anyhow, make a try, - most of them are listed her if you are talking about US presidents:
http://www.geni.com/projects/US-Presidents-and-Vice-Presidents

6/3/2011 at 5:32 PM

Gregory, it's entirely possible that someone corrected false information in your tree. Your connections to those figures might have been based on bad information. So it may not be people erasing history, but rather people getting rid of revisionist history.

Do your main lines look to be intact? Can you pinpoint one that's changed recently?

Though I do agree that there has been a bizarre increase as of late in the number of "twelfth cousins thirteenth aunt's ex-husband's step-niece's college roommate"-type connections, at least in my tree. But I suspect these are two unrelated issues, especially if you're getting a "No Path" message instead of one of those complicated brain teasers.

Private User
6/4/2011 at 12:53 AM

Thanks. The breakdowns usually occur at 2 points in my fathers lines but I have never seen any conflict in my mothers line beyond 25-30 generations where you are getting to pre 500 AD and things get shady.
I know that Antoinette Landry is a historical argument flash point as to her parentage and also the perennial "can't prove via deathbed confession" that Francois Savoie is the son of Tomas Francesco di Savoia, Prince of Carignano and Marie De Bourbon. Those lines I disregard beyond certain points. However, my mothers is VERY intact and has some serious royal blood ties with hardly a glitch in terms of peerage confirmation. I like to use her as a reference point with the thumbtack. I am not so much concerned with levels of cousins as I am ggf and ggm. Her lines are a complete wealth of royalty in just about every nation of Europe and back to the Byzantine Empire and the Roman Empire. The bogus part comge in with all the Briton kings and their mythical relations to Joseph of Arimathea. Perhaps true but historically am impossible task to prove so disregarded.

Private User
6/4/2011 at 1:16 AM

Samuel Bush is George W. Bush's great great grandfather.
He is my 11th cousin 6 times removed so how can it possibly say NO PATH if I happen to click on George W. for the heck of it?

Gregory Fournerat

Marjorie Fay Thompson Fournerat
your mother

John Oval Thompson
her father

John Woods "Woodie" Thompson
his father

Mary Jane Cowan Thompson
his mother

John Woods Cowan
her father

James Cowan, Jr.
his father

Hannah Woods Cowan
his mother

Archibald Woods
her father

Michael Woods, Sr.
his father

John Andrew Woods, Sir
his father

Isabella Bruce
his mother

Patrick Bruce
her father

Jane Fleming
his mothe

John Fleming, 5th Lord Fleming
her father

Lady Janet Stewart
his mother

Margaret Tudor
her mother

Elizabeth of York, Queen consort of England
her mother

Elizabeth Woodville (Wydeville), Queen consort of England
her mother

Margaret Sothern
her daughter

James Watson
her son

Constance Watson
his daughter

Thomas Brigham, Sr
her son

John Brigham, Dr.
his son

John Brigham
his son

Abigail Brigham
his daughter

Lucy Fay
her daughter

Samuel Prescott Phillips Fay
her son

Samuel Fay
his son

Harriet Bush
his daughter

Samuel Bush
her son

Prescott Sheldon Bush Sr
his son

George Herbert Walker Bush (US President 41)
his son

George W Bush (US President 43)

There is no doubt of a cousin relatonship, albiet a distant relation but Geni appears to be making some serious errors. There is nothng wrong with this line of relation.

6/4/2011 at 8:14 AM

Private User I just verified that there is a problem with George W Bush. I have no path to him, yet my path to his father a second later is 8th cousin. I'll email the curator to look into this one because I didn't see anything amiss at first glance looking at the tree. Thanks!

Point out any that you wish to.

Private User
6/4/2011 at 8:21 AM

Thanks. It is the same with Obama with his mother and back. etc.etc.
My Great Great times whatever status in 4 different ways with the Prophet Muhammad gives me "nonsense" relationships also now when it used to be clear cut, even on my mothers clean lines.

6/4/2011 at 9:23 AM

I have no relationship with Obama's mother so I can't verify but I'll email the curator to check this out.

I know from public discussions that way back in the early lines of the Prophet Muhammad there are issues that are being addressed.

One of the things I have had to learn is patience as the Big Tree gets cleaned up and merges temporarily muddy up the lines. Overall, I have found that my lineage has become more correct and richer in the two years I have been a member, as the Big Tree has been cleaned up. But there are temporary disruptions.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion