Re: Pocahontas Please do NOT remove Relationship

Started by Private User on Saturday, June 4, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
6/4/2011 at 12:05 PM

I've come across that people removed Pocahontas from the relationship with John Smith. It's still unproven.

Some sources say they were married. While Virginia and the Powhatan tribe says that is false. But, remember this is a shared tree and others have traced their ancestors to Pocahontas and John Smith, however they did it, they did it...and to them it's real even if it's not real for you.

My belief lies with the Powhatan tribe. I don't think they were romantically involved. However, I wouldn't tell someone they weren't the descendants if by tradition and oral genealogy and documents or whatever, has been passed down to them. Please do NOT remove the relationship. I've added them back as spouses with a curator note on top.

4/30/2012 at 2:10 PM

i thought they were married and had a son

Private User
4/30/2012 at 2:42 PM

Hi Paula

To quote from the Pocahantas profile:

"There is no suggestion in any of the historical records that Smith and Pocahontas were lovers. This romantic version of the story appears only in fictionalized versions of their relationship (such as the animated version by Walt Disney.)"

She was however married to John Rolfe and they had a son.

5/1/2012 at 11:00 AM

thanks, i always thought they were married. i am related to john smith and comstock

5/2/2012 at 3:44 AM

it would be nice if they were married, funny how people like to change history. remember all the different things in the history books that may not be true.

Private User
5/2/2012 at 8:57 AM

Pocahantas built bridges across cultures. She was just a child when she met John Smith and helped him with her family. As an adult she married John Rolfe, who took her to England: apparently she was very popular there. We are lucky to have had these history makers.

5/3/2012 at 12:07 PM

I spent about 3 years researching Powhatan and his family; and his schemes. I don't want to come out and say it, but I think he pushed his daughter onto the Englishmen. He had visions of being a mighty emperor. He was already a "super chief" over about 10 tribes, but wanted more power. He mad alliances with the British, so he could have weapons and allies against the tribes, mostly to his Northwest.

Private User
5/3/2012 at 1:05 PM

That certainly makes sense Kwame. If I remember correctly the Jamestown Massacre may have been kicked off by one of his grandchildren being killed and that was attributed to the English colonists.

5/3/2012 at 1:17 PM

yes, we are lucky for pocahotas

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion