Folllowed profiles no longer appear in the 'drop down' when I try to search for them

Начала Private User Среда, 8 Июня 2011

Участники:

Показаны все 17 сообщений
Private User
8/6/2011 в 3:39 после полудня

Is it a 'bug' or did someone delete most of my followed profiles.
I typed in many names of many people I'm following but the names don't appear.
What has happened to them ?
I already know where to find my close family I don't need to know how to find them.
I need to be able to access my far away family and my far away ancestors.
This should not happen to a Geni Pro.
I'll never be able to find them all again.
There were thousands and thousands profiles which I've been accumulating for the last 2 years.
I need them for reference.
I need them for projects.
They were there on Tuesday but by Wednesday evening they had disappeared.
I'm terribly upset & I want them all back again.
How can I continue my work tomorrow ?

Private User
8/6/2011 в 4:18 после полудня

Ann, Someone changes a few relatives and "Poof" I just lost Aleric (the sacker of Rome) a few days ago he was my (37GGF) now he never knew me. Sometimes they come back if the connection is reattached but the changer feels no pain at your loss. they don`t know how many folks get whacked at every change. That`s why God will never allow us to invent a time machine, people would be disapearing all over the place "Poof" I had great plans for Aleric "Jack The Sack" reveling in my Visogothe background as an Iconoclast .( Ah sad ) I really do feel sorry for your plans being changed without your knowledge. Jeffrey

8/6/2011 в 5:00 после полудня

I think I know what happened. :-)

I was working with an avid follower who was following nearly 2,000 profiles. When this user tried to type a name in the drop-down he got nothing, not his family members or collaborators or profiles he follows. When I looked into it, the problem turned out to be a timeout caused by trying to generate that list of all 2,000 followed profiles.

We limit other groups in that list (family, for example) to 500 so I added the same limit to followed profiles. So it's neither a bug nor deleted followed profiles, but rather a limitation imposed for necessity of site performance. We can discuss whether or not 500 is the appropriate limit but what's not debatable is that there has to be *some* limit or else it's just not going to work as users follow more and more profiles.

Private User
8/6/2011 в 5:18 после полудня

So, if we've reached that limit of added profiles, or curated profiles, or... we won't be able to add more?

What about "recent?" Will those still appear in the drop down?

8/6/2011 в 5:44 после полудня

You can certainly follow more.. they just might not show up in the drop-down list. The "recent" list is always the last 10 profiles you've viewed, so one sure-fire way to make sure you can find a profile in the drop-down, is to visit it right before you go to the page where you want to type it. [obviously that doesn't help for quick navigation TO the profile page, but it helps when you want to tag projects / events / etc]

Private User
8/6/2011 в 6:14 после полудня

Okay. Groovy.

(Although, I don't see the option to view "Curated By" in the search now. Is that related? Something else? Waah.)

8/6/2011 в 8:10 после полудня

I don't think "Curated By" was ever a search option.. It's an option in your own lists, "Curated By Me" in the "Select a predefined list" at the top-right of http://www.geni.com/list

Private User
8/6/2011 в 9:11 после полудня

I *knew* that. Lists! (Total space out moment.)

8/6/2011 в 10:20 после полудня

Mike, ~500 profiles x (number of simultaneously logged-in Geni users) doesn't sound like a huge number, and having the fast-navigation to followed profiles be hit-and-miss is a significant pain. Why don't you "just" precompute the list whenever a Geni user becomes active, and store it in preparation for the menu generation? Should be a no-time operation to fetch a list, even if it's in the thousands, if there's no multirecord query involved.

(all issues related to caches, updates and so on are left as an exercise for Mike :-)

Private User
8/6/2011 в 10:31 после полудня

Excellent Harald. He needs more things to keep him busy! ;-)

Private User
9/6/2011 в 12:58 до полудня

Michael Stangel you have the same problem with the downloaded lookup-table for collaborators. I am sure that IE users get a timeout on that page if they have a large number of collaborators.

9/6/2011 в 7:17 до полудня

Harald I like your suggestion but the vagaries of dealing with the cache (and the fallout if we overload our memcache servers, resulting in who-knows-what getting paged out prematurely) make it tricky enough that I cannot tackle it right now.

Bjorn I added the the limit to collaborators as well. (and I don't think the browser has anything to do with it?)

Private User
9/6/2011 в 8:55 до полудня

I gave up using IE because of all timeouts I got in Geni..
----
Personally I prefer the complete script tables like collaborators, followers and following because it is enough to load one page to get them all if you wan to extract them with a program.

Example: http://www.geni.com/discussions/95432?msg=709297

You should probably also add the limit to family surnames as well, - but again: I prefer that those tables are complete since I user them in my app, - at least until you can offer them through the API.

9/6/2011 в 10:35 до полудня

I've also been experiencing this. Whenever I want to merge now, I just make a habit out of loading both profiles and merging from whichever one loaded second. Works for me.

Private User
11/6/2011 в 8:58 до полудня

Michael Stangel

This is a problem in mail. Can something be done please?

Private User
11/6/2011 в 9:00 до полудня

Ashley your trick works for profiles but does not work for the mail list.

Private User
11/6/2011 в 5:12 после полудня

In mail, the trick is to view first the profile of the person to whom you wish to send mail. Then they appear in the drop down list as "recent".

This is what Mike said above at http://www.geni.com/discussions/95978?msg=709839

Показаны все 17 сообщений

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении