Unconfirmed Information

Started by Private User on Thursday, June 9, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
6/9/2011 at 3:42 PM

When I do a search at FamilySearch.org for any John Young born in 1624, there's only two, and neither was born in in Suffolk (one was born in Brook, Hampshire, the other in London). Both locations are over 100 km south of Southwold. That makes me think that John (b. 1598) probably isn't this John's father. What's our source for claiming John Young (b. 1598) is this John's father?

Private User
6/10/2011 at 6:03 AM

It looks like you have some faulty information listed or merged in the Abigail Howland MP Profile of her husband. I show nothing in my field Research on Southwold in my Family Records. I no Nothing about Family Search or how they obtain their information. Good Luck in your Quest.

6/10/2011 at 7:10 AM

Devon, FamilySearch isn't always the best source. They're missing a lot of information, especially about non-Americans, and many of their files contradict each other. I wouldn't take them as gospel. The one thing they're great with is their huge collection of free Census and vital records scans, but it's very U.S.-centric.

That doesn't answer your question regarding the source for that info, but I just wanted to point out the need to always use caution with FamilySearch.

6/10/2011 at 8:36 AM

Also familysearch.org as a genealogical resource is large and diverse. There is the existing user contributed family database and when using that the information should ALWAYS be verify against primary sources. It contains a mixture of good research and bad research.

The good news is that other parts of the web site gives you contains access to online digitized primary records. Volunteers for example have indexed 83 million records this year alone which for the most part are then made publicly searchable for free.

There is also their research wiki with 40,000 searchable topics to help direct you on your research questions.

To Ashley's point about the records being US centric here is the latest breakdown on the collection's projects by location.

Africa (5)
Asia & Middle East (12)
Australia & New Zealand (10)
Canada, USA, and Mexico (366)
Caribbean, Central and South America (77)
Europe (160)
Other (3)
Pacific Islands (2)

Some of the projects are small like the "Ukraine Births and Baptism's" project with only 14,143 records while others are huge like the "Mexico Baptisms, 1560-1950" project with over 44,000,000 records.

6/10/2011 at 8:53 AM

The international records are for non natives mostly - can say that atleast for India

Private User
6/10/2011 at 1:54 PM

I just did some further research today.... there is a Col. John Youngs (note the "s") born in Southwold, Suffolk, England, in April 1623 and died in 1698 in Southold, NY, whose father is Rev. John Youngs (b. 1598). This is well established, so I'm sure it is accurate.

Col. John Youngs is NOT the same as John Young who immigrated to Eastham, Mass, married Abigail Howland, had a son Robert in 1667, and died in 1690/1.

So either this John Young profile has the wrong parents & birthplace, or it has the right parents but the wrong names, dates, & descendants.

I'm thinking I might've accidentally accepted a merge request some time ago due to this profile's incorrect data, that shouldn't have been merged. I'm not sure how to undo the merge now, or get my line back to the John Young (John Youngs, II) I was originally attached to. My apologies to everyone else affected by this 'til this gets straightened out.

Private User
6/11/2011 at 11:55 AM

I just noticed under the revisions tab that I didn't do the merge, but someone else did. So I messaged them & hopefully they can reconnect Robert Young, Sr back to his proper father John Youngs, II & other ancestors soon.

Sorry about all the mix up, this was very confusing to me how my genealogy got broke.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion