Books as sources - how to cite?

Started by Harald Alvestrand on Friday, June 10, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
6/10/2011 at 1:14 AM

A lot of the stuff I use to fix up the tree comes out of some book or other. These are copyright, and so even if I wanted to upload the whole book as a document, it'd be illegal, so I don't want to do that.

Still, it seems like I should be able to reference them via the "sources" mechanism of a profile.

So what I've taken to using, for instance in Sven Odland - I scan in the frontispiece of the book, so that it's obvious which book I'm talking about, for example http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000012926617218 - and then I cite this document for the facts quoted.

Weaknesses:
- No way to get a page number into the reference
- It seems hard to edit the citation - I have to delete it and recreate it
- I can't cite a source as support for the "about me", which is where I like to put narrative information

Still, it seems much better than not giving a source, or giving a source only as a cryptic text citation like "Ibid. pg 27".

Thoughts? Comments? Other suggestions?

Private User
6/10/2011 at 2:24 AM

You can fill in the Note section telling which page when adding source references.

Private User
6/10/2011 at 7:08 PM

I actually use several methods.

1. In the "overview"

For instance:

Sources (section)
1. Http://googlebooksid aliased in MLA format (I use world cat.org for an instant citation maker). The pg number is listed outside the hyperlink.

I also make a notepad file of the citation. This way it shows as a source document ... And I can associate it with multiple profiles.

I also sometimes save off the page as a PDF file or jpg image and again, upload as a source document.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion